Helix PV Panama is really outdated, right??

I also created a thread on this topic in the other place... I shouldn't have :rofl

Good luck finding that thread though, after someone came in to poop all over the thread it was moved to an area of the forum where nobody ever goes, at the end of time.

Last edited:
I just realised it was moved - and you are right, it's somewhere I've never been before which isn't easy to find and I'll likely never go there again.

And all because some officious prick took it upon themselves to "police" their incorrect interpretation of what it means for someone to be a supporting vendor on TGP.

Phil M was absolutely on point when he called him insufferable!

Ok, well ... got that wrong.
Youre Wrong Season 1 GIF by Sony Pictures Television

I just realised it was moved - and you are right, it's somewhere I've never been before which isn't easy to find and I'll likely never go there again.

And all because some officious prick took it upon themselves to "police" their incorrect interpretation of what it means for someone to be a supporting vendor on TGP.

I can see why this forum exists!

Can you link the thread? It's new years eve and I am up to see some stirred shit 😄

Can you link the thread? It's new years eve and I am up to see some stirred shit 😄

I blocked that person so I haven't read most of his posts:

I also wanted to do a video where I revisit the Recto model and compare it to one of my Rectos but I think that's going to be a little bit more difficult since all the different revisions have their own thing going on. Could compare it to my Single Rectifier series I or Dual Rectifier early 2000s 3 channel. They both sound quite different... With a 5150/6505 it's much easier because all the Peavey revisions sound basically the same.

I also wanted to do a video where I revisit the Recto model and compare it to one of my Rectos but I think that's going to be a little bit more difficult since all the different revisions have their own thing going on. Could compare it to my Single Rectifier series I or Dual Rectifier early 2000s 3 channel. They both sound quite different... With a 5150/6505 it's much easier because all the Peavey revisions sound basically the same.
The Helix Rectifier is an early 3 channel model so it should match your amp quite easily. I can match it to my Rev G without too much trouble, and I’ve just matched my Rev G and MW pretty close without too much work. You should have no difficulty at all matching Helix’s model to your amp.

But, you’ll need to use a Mesa cab as the load because that’s what Line 6 modelled it with and Rectifiers are more fussy than most amps with which load is connected.

you can hear a Rectifier with load boxes vs a cab here:

and helix vs my Rev G (loaded with a cab) here:

They did a good job, it’s much maligned like the Panama model but it’s closer than it gets credit for. Would love to hear the TMP rectifier against your amp….

The Helix Rectifier is an early 3 channel model so it should match your amp quite easily. I can match it to my Rev G without too much trouble, and I’ve just matched my Rev G and MW pretty close without too much work. You should have no difficulty at all matching Helix’s model to your amp.

But, you’ll need to use a Mesa cab as the load because that’s what Line 6 modelled it with and Rectifiers are more fussy than most amps with which load is connected.

you can hear a Rectifier with load boxes vs a cab here:

and helix vs my Rev G (loaded with a cab) here:

They did a good job, it’s much maligned like the Panama model but it’s closer than it gets credit for. Would love to hear the TMP rectifier against your amp….

Interesting! I always thought they used an older 2 channel Rev F or Rev G? I believe someone from Line 6 once told me that but that's a while ago so my memory might be fuzzy.

Interesting! I always thought they used an older 2 channel Rev F or Rev G? I believe someone from Line 6 once told me that but that's a while ago so my memory might be fuzzy.
I was told early 3 channel, in their studio photos you can see it’s a 3 channel version (and I believe the straight slant cabs are from that era too).

IMG_5792.jpeg

I also created a thread on this topic in the other place... I shouldn't have :rofl

Good luck finding that thread though, after someone came in to poop all over the thread it was moved to an area of the forum where nobody ever goes, at the end of time.

Face it- you got Swatted because you aren’t all in on the Tonemaster Pro. The person who sent the cops to your house treats everybody not on “his team” the same way.

Sounds interesting - I missed that….

Edit: I see now - the link was posted later. Yep, the guy who caused issues there seems to do the same on an ongoing basis as far as I can tell. I saw a thread on TOP earlier where he called someone a c_ck sucker. That says it all, really.

Last edited:
The speaker / IR update that came with Helix a couple revisions ago is what really fixed the issues IMHO.
People said it was the amp but they didn't realize it was the "meh" cabs.
If you go back to the stock cabs before that update, 3.6 I think, a lot of the amps did sound off without extra EQ work post-amp.
Now, you don't need any EQ work to get the amps sounding right. Cabs make a huge difference.

GuitarJon, I really enjoy your videos, thanks for doing them.

No qualitative difference to my ears. The style isn't in the heart of my playing or listening, so my ears are far from sophisticated for this one.

I can get so many great tones out of my Helix now with so little effort I usually listen to these comparisons only when they are of amps/models I'm not familiar with yet so I can get a sense of the untapped potential.

Agree with whoever mentioned the riff was cool.

The speaker / IR update that came with Helix a couple revisions ago is what really fixed the issues IMHO.
People said it was the amp but they didn't realize it was the "meh" cabs.
If you go back to the stock cabs before that update, 3.6 I think, a lot of the amps did sound off without extra EQ work post-amp.
Now, you don't need any EQ work to get the amps sounding right. Cabs make a huge difference.
@GuitarJon never uses stock cabs. Or cabs, Mr IR could be his surname.

@GuitarJon never uses stock cabs. Or cabs, Mr IR could be his surname.
Good to know!
It doesn't change my point though.
No one I know liked the Panama, me included, in the older firmware with the stock cabs - unless they did post cab processing.
Now, it sounds good out of the box with only basic tweaking thanks to the improved stock cabs.

Back