What have you learned from digital modeling?

Drew might have an undersized Wah?

TB3 may take longer to buy a new product than Thomas Blug takes to release one

JT industries offer custom work , for cabling any situation in 156 easy steps

umm let see what else

Last edited:
I've learned that going on guitar gear forums and making snarky comments is incredibly validating. I don't even play guitar.
Caribbean Heritage Month GIF by BuzzFeed

and that the Cab and speakers are more important than anything else.

Fortunately I learned that pretty early in the game (I used IRs for recording ever since the RedWirez stuff was released, stumbled over the entire thing kinda accidentally...). As a result I was able to save quite some money. And I'm also able to coax some pretty useful sounds out of a GT-10 enhanced with an AMT Pangaea, quite nice as I can just leave it on the truck for one particular gig.

Digitals ability to let you demo the history of tones lead me to the realization that 90% of the amps and pedals that now matter (to me) were released before or very shortly after I started playing to begin with and that the gear game was largely already solved multiple decades ago.

Whatever amp models I try, I rarely seem to make it out of the mid-to-late 1960s. Digital has confirmed this. Weird.

Last edited:
I also learned that if would ever record electric guitar for an album I would use real cabs and mics, unless the intention is to sound like a mcdonalds hamburger.
I wouldn't let that stop me. I've pushed off too much recording because I desired the 'perfect' conditions. Mic'd cabs do sound great, but they can also sound like shite if not done properly. :rofl

Mic'd cabs do sound great, but they can also sound like shite if not done properly.

Add to this you need the right place to set everything up. For most guitars, I'd rather record them in my comfy home environment rather than trying to rent (or otherwise get ahold of) some space without all the nice stuff around.

Add to this you need the right place to set everything up. For most guitars, I'd rather record them in my comfy home environment rather than trying to rent (or otherwise get ahold of) some space without all the nice stuff around.
What we've learned over the years is that quite a few great songs have had all sorts of recording tricks, so I don't look at recording as it has to be this or that -- it's whatever the song needs at that moment. Now, if you have a vision or album concept that needs a certain audible vibe then you take the necessary steps to make that happen, whether that's renting a barn, church or studio space. That takes a lot of money, preparation, and creative assets to pull off successfully though.

Back