Helix Native: Alnico Blue

hasn't this been proven a lot with analog emulation plugins, that they end up boosting the sales of the hardware?

The fact Helix had a plugin version was one of the main draws for me to dive into it. I picked up the HX Stomp first (figured it would be a handy utility device to use in the studio for various tasks) with the intention of mostly using HX Native. I use the plugin more, but I love having the Stomp around for all kinds of things.
I started with a Helix LT with no desire for Native and only bought it years later out of curiousity because it was on sale. Now that I've seen how useful it is to tweak your guitar tone right in the DAW in the context of the mix, I can't bring myself to even consider another modeler that doesn't have a VST version.

Select "Helix Native" in the center dropdown and download it. It's a 2 week trial I believe?

Not sure how I just saw this post now but I’ll give it a shot tonight! I was just about to make a thread asking specifically about this and just happened to scroll past this post.

What was happening before was I’d select Helix Native then it would tell me they couldn’t find what I was selecting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: JT
Line 6 shows that releasing a software version of their modeling didn't mean the downfall of their hardware.

Quite interesting. Not so sure it would be the same scenario for Fractal or Kemper?

Not many people are prepared to take a laptop and a soundcard out on stage and use it as their rig.

1. It aint rock n roll.
2. It's a tricky rig to build and setup and maintain. It's definitely not instant gratification.
3. Crashy crashy, splishy splashy.

Hardware solutions in guitars (and even drums) are still the predominant way that people wanna use this stuff. Plugins are used in the studio, they're not (or at least rarely) used live.

There's nothing stopping anyone from getting Ableton Live or Bitwig Studio, an Apollo Twin soundcard, and a midi controller ... and building a rig that combines all of the best stuff on the market available. But people just don't do it.

DJ's, keyboardists, and electronic musicians seem to be way more up for using and building rigs like that. But those are several orders of magnitude more capable of understanding complexity than guitarists. You almost never have to explain to a synth player the difference between a midi PC and a midi CC.

Ergo - there is no canabalism of sales. I'm actually surprised that Line 6 give such a healthy discount on Helix Native to the hardware owners. That just speaks to how cool and humane the team is I would guess. Or they're more like crack dealers, trying to keep you hooked on the supply.

Not sure how I just saw this post now but I’ll give it a shot tonight! I was just about to make a thread asking specifically about this and just happened to scroll past this post.

What was happening before was I’d select Helix Native then it would tell me they couldn’t find what I was selecting. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Be mindful of your input levels on your interface. Native is very picky on this.

. Crashy crashy, splishy splashy.

My main concerns. I have an AT5 and Native rig all set up and ready to go but I can't bring myself to gig it. It's silly I know because my laptop OS has never crashed on me BUT both Reaper and Mixcraft have. I have no interest in any other DAW's than those 2. It doesnt happen often but it "does" happen and that's enough to keep that laptop rig in my jam room/studio. I have tried 3 different interfaces, completely wiping and cleaning the SSD on my laptop, new ram sticks, and still both DAW's will either randomly freeze or drag really bad.

As I typed that out I guess it could be a bad SSD but everything else I do on that laptop including some heavy video editing all work perfect.

Ergo - there is no canabalism of sales. I'm actually surprised that Line 6 give such a healthy discount on Helix Native to the hardware owners. That just speaks to how cool and humane the team is I would guess. Or they're more like crack dealers, trying to keep you hooked on the supply.
Eye roll time:

Years ago, someone from Apple (wasnt' Jony, I forget who) said their design team measures success not by units sold but by percentage of functionality utilized. Our team doesn't obsess over ease of use because people gravitate toward easier-to-use products; we obsess over it because we actively want people to change how they approach multieffects—not just those made by Line 6—in general, because the more it becomes mission critical for one's time making music, the less chance there is for them to give up on it. Our biggest competition isn't another company, it's the thousands of other activities vying for people's attention: Video games, TV, movies, SOCIAL <ahem> MEDIA...

YGG, Fender, BOSS, Fractal, Kemper and the others lose at least an order of magnitude more potential future customers to the "lapsed guitarist" than to each another.

We can actively track how people use our gear too; that is, how their approach to multieffects changes over time. What's nice is that it gives us a really good idea of where to take our hardware and software next.

Let's just say the strategy behind Helix Native wasn't purely financial.

We can actively track how people use our gear too; that is, how their approach to multieffects changes over time. What's nice is that it gives us a really good idea of where to take our hardware and software next.
Do you find that the signal intergrity improvements and the unity-gain possibilities of Helix are one of the major benefits that people see/talk about? It is for me versus the older M-series units, and is a large reason why I got the Helix back in 2016. At launch Helix didn't have all of the different kinds of effects I would need (don't even think it had reverse delay at launch did it???) but it didn't matter, because you didn't promise them in all of your marketing copy for 18 months before hand!!! ...ahem.

I wonder if I'm an outlier in terms of having AD/DA quality extremely high up my list.

Do you find that the signal intergrity improvements and the unity-gain possibilities of Helix are one of the major benefits that people see/talk about? It is for me versus the older M-series units, and is a large reason why I got the Helix back in 2016. At launch Helix didn't have all of the different kinds of effects I would need (don't even think it had reverse delay at launch did it???) but it didn't matter, because you didn't promise them in all of your marketing copy for 18 months before hand!!! ...ahem.

I wonder if I'm an outlier in terms of having AD/DA quality extremely high up my list.
It certainly doesn't hurt. Would've been nice to double up the A/D/As on all analog ins and outs to get the same dynamic range as the Guitar In (123dB, better than many high end audio interfaces), but that would require twice as many channels ($$$). In hindsight, maybe we should have, as it's a shame to apply patented tech to only one jack.

I was primarily a bass player for almost 20 years.

The SVT 4 Pro and Woody are my preferences among the bass amps. I am not a fan of the regular SVT models (bright and normal). For the new stock cabs, I like the Ampeg 1x15. I hope L6 brings the Ampeg 4x10 cab that is used in the SVT Suite plugin into Helix. That cab sounds great to me.

I really like the SVT 4 Pro, even for guitar. For bass I dont even use an IR/cab block half the time

I really like the SVT 4 Pro, even for guitar. For bass I dont even use an IR/cab block half the time
I'm using the SVT 4 on this patch. I played guitar through it and was shocked. While the low end was hyped I sounded seriously great!

I'm using the SVT 4 on this patch. I played guitar through it and was shocked. While the low end was hyped I sounded seriously great!
If you turn off the ultra lo, turn on the ultra high and turn on the eq (eq level boosts input gain) you've got a good start

Back