Helix JCM800 2203 Request Thread (FW 3.70 new Brit 2203)!

I recently pulled out my Ceriatone 2204 which uses the late 70s 2204 spec. It’s pretty damn gainy, but not as gainy as the helix 2204.

I have the 3 way bright cap mod installed too and can confirm without a doubt that there is more going on with the HX 2204 than just a missing bright cap.

My observations are in line with those already mentioned by @James Freeman. The HX 2204 is ok-ish with vintage single coils, but totally misses “the thing” when using a Les Paul with PAFs.

At this point I’m not overly optimistic we’re going to get what we’re looking for. I know I’ve been bitching about their 800 tones since the PODxt 2.0 update when they replaced their amazing stock one with the current failpile.

I recently pulled out my Ceriatone 2204 which uses the late 70s 2204 spec. It’s pretty damn gainy, but not as gainy as the helix 2204.
I have the 3 way bright cap mod installed too and can confirm without a doubt that there is more going on with the HX 2204 than just a missing bright cap.

Line 6's 2204 has half the preamp modified, it is far removed from the stock amp they shouldn't even call it a 2204.
If it doesn't sound like a 2204 and it doesn't behave like a 2204, It's not a 2204.

At this point I’m not overly optimistic we’re going to get what we’re looking for. I know I’ve been bitching about their 800 tones since the PODxt 2.0 update when they replaced their amazing stock one with the current failpile.

Yes we will.
The Helix is not going to be EOL'd without a great sounding stock JCM800 2204.

The "thingy" is a high shelf that can be "soldered in" digitally by the user. :sofa
You can't polish a turd.
Line 6's reference 2204 is heavily modified.
No matter how I tried to tone match the Brit 2204 model with the Softube JMP 2203 I couldn't, the distortion character is very different.

Yes we will.
The Helix is not going to be EOL'd without a great sounding stock JCM800 2204.
I want you to be right.

optimist_prime.jpg

You can't polish a turd.
Line 6's reference 2204 is heavily modified.
No matter how I tried to tone match the Brit 2204 model with the Softube JMP 2203 I couldn't, the distortion character is very different.
You obviously need to freeze the turd first. That's just science!

On a more serious note - the Marshall recipe is to combine a bright cap's early treble boost with a lame, dark, bass heavy, early roll-off channel. This way they get the highs compressed and the lows stay focused.

I couldn't really come up with a great setting to get this approach going on the Brit 2204 either.

Usually bright cap amps have small sweet spots gain-wise which is probably why L6 tends to avoid those "one trick ponies". The best walk-around to this in an amp IMHO is something like Fryette's Deliverance amp with dual gain pots - one with bright cap for voicing, one without for overdrive.

1987x ftw btw.

Here's my attempt to tone match the Softube JMP 2203 (1v Peak = 0dBFS) with 0.5 gain steps, I got quite close I would say.
Matching with Master at 1, all else at 5 (noon), tonestack and presence behave identically.
Line 6's 2204 poweramp response is also identical, I didn't have to do any post eq.

Download Link:
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FoiuptW7WZBg1mxE2nEMJ1C1VCwEMITm

JMP 2203 Matching.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 12.00.22.png

Here's roughly what the corrective EQ is doing to fix what the bright cap is supposed to do to make the circuit work as intended. Imagine what letting all that flub into the preamp is going to do to your low end.

These EQ tweaks make the Brit 2204 sound much better, it also still misses some of the twang and attack (around 2.5kHz) of the Softube model. Still, if you want to make the 2204 sound and feel a bit more like a Marshall I'd totally recommend these.

The general corrective eq curve indicates that not only the bright cap and mixing caps are missing but it seems that there is an additional cathode bypass cap that adds low end and gain. As said, the preamp have been heavily modified, that's technically not a 2204 anymore.

These EQ tweaks make the Brit 2204 sound much better, it also still misses some of the twang and attack (around 2.5kHz) of the Softube model. Still, if you want to make the 2204 sound and feel a bit more like a Marshall I'd totally recommend these.
You can get some twang by lowering the Bias - 4.8 is the value the AxeFx's JMP 2204 is set to.

For comparison here are some AxeFx II JMP2204 frequency charts with gain 1, bmtp 5 showing various bright cap values:

680pF (seems to match the Softtube chart above) :
JMP 2204 680pF.png

500pF (stock value):
JMP 2204 500pF.png

1000pF:
JMP 2204 1000pF.png

100pF:
JMP 2204 100pF.png

5000pF:
JMP 2204 5000pF.png

no bright cap:
JMP 2204 no cap.png

6dB/div

Obviously these settings (minus the last) will sound bright AF. I used it because I wanted to match @James Freeman 's Softtube chart and go from there.

In all honesty, I haven't gotten along with HX amp modeling for a few months now. I've found that compared to Fractal, I fight too much harshness in the upper mids/highs, compression and fuzziness in the lows, and a general lack of excitement in the tone tone. It often sounds kind of mushy, lifeless, and fizzy.

This is especially true for me with Plexi style amps...I flip to them and flip right off them. I can't get them to work for me like I used to.

That's part of why I ordered another Kemper to fuss with, curious to see that tone through a real speaker cab which I haven't done before. But I'm not getting the same level of satisfaction or enjoyment out of the HX stuff like I used to.

For bright caps, one thing to watch is how they interact with the guitar volume and the preamp gain. For me the higher the cap value on the amp model, not only the brighter it is, but also as you roll down it gets brighter just like a bright cap on the guitar. If you have a bright cap on the guitar, it's often better to have a lower value (or no cap) on the amp.

Dave Navarro said this when talking with Dave Friedman on his podcast, he had to clip the bright caps on his guitars when he switched from Marshalls to Friedmans (although I would figure the opposite should be true).

Anyways, not sure a simple high pass or tilt EQ would work to replicate it.

Back