Helix JCM800 2203 Request Thread (FW 3.70 new Brit 2203)!

James Freeman

Rock Star
The Brit 2204 model is a bad representation of the JCM800 2204, it doesn't sound or behave like the original amp, it was confirmed that Line 6's reference amp doesn't have the bright cap and several other components were changed, it's a modified amp.
As of 2023, 8 years since Helix launched, we still don't have an accurate JCM800 or any other Master Volume Marshall for that matter.

Also, my old JCM800 thread over TGP: link

EDIT:
Firmware 3.70, new Brit 2203.

THEY NAILED IT!

Last edited:
From Here

Dear Line 6, can we have 2203, 2204, 800 that has the stock KERRANG please?
The "A/B tone test" segment demonstrates how it should sound, even without the bright cap the real 2203 is nice and crunchy, our Helix 2204 sounds like a bad fuzz box in comparison.

No other amp model in the Helix does that Marshall crunchy crunch like in this video, believe me I tried.

From Here

Dear Line 6.

NDSP releasing their millionth Marshall, this time it's probably a licensed Jubilee/JCM800, while us Helix owners have to beg for one good JCM800 since 2015...

NYA!@

s.png

screenshot-2023-05-21-180222-png.7487

Here's an interesting thing.
People have been asking for a stock/better JCM800 since the very early days of Helix, we know the Brit 2204 model is crap.

Can't they find a good JCM800 in California?
Will Sweetwater not sell them a new reissue 2203?
Is the POD Brit 2204 good enough for us?
Is Facebook THE place?
Will Helix be forever known as the first modern modeler in history to be EOL'd without great sounding Marshalls?
So many questions...

Attachments

• 1685339976324.png
    1685339976324.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 56
  • m.png
    m.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 1685340923494.png
    1685340923494.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 1685341226503.png
    1685341226503.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
From Here

All this bright cap talk probably seems so pedantic to folks, but it makes such a dramatic difference in the feel, response, and sound of Marshall circuits
+1
The Helix 2204 sounds like it has more than the Gain cap removed, it is mushy and fizzy with zero crunch.
--

From the other place:
I no longer own a Helix. I sold it because of the ****** tones of their 800...
I prefer an amp model to sound as close to a standard of that real amp as possible. Having to start stacking EQ pedals and a boost or a drive to get something maybe kind of similar is a pain in the ass. When I want the tone of an amp I don’t own I’ll play through my FM3.

Many new amp-to-modeler 'converts' try this model first, and people who have been using modelers for years absolutely do compare the JCM800, every modeler has one.
The JCM800 is a benchmark, it's the one model you don't screw up.
--

I am a sucker for the jcm800 Kerrang. ToneX nailed it
If Marshall was the only sound I use I’d have to switch over to ToneX, who is KILLING it with the Marshall tones.

This is another reason not to screw up models in this day and age.
People have excellent reference now, accessible and even free NN based captures that sound like the real amp, albeit on one setting but still enough to do a comparison yourself, and without the agenda of paid youtubers that make everything sound the same.
--

Alright, I hope our posts given enough reasons for Line 6 to stop ignoring the crunchy Marshalls and make the Helix a relevant competitor for great Marshall tones.
Forget the "interesting and fun" nonsense, model a few proper crunchy Marshalls and make people happy.

From Here

I straight up sold my hx stomp because the 800 (and plexi) were BAD
I sold it because of the ****** tones of their 800
It's the first model I fire up on any modeler/plugin I try or own or buy... Ever.

Wait... people judging a modeler based on the quality of the classic Marshalls, ie. the bread & butter & meat & potatoes of electric guitar?

The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

They may steer clear, but the internet...it never forgets.
At some point this noise will be a distant history of 8+ years when Helix didn't have a single great sounding master volume Marshall. 🤞
Makes me want to facepalm just typing this. ^

Think about it for a moment... a modern flagship modeler that doesn't have a single great sounding MV Marshall. :wat:facepalm

Last edited:
Back