Helix 3.8 when?

Phish’s recent antics with cabs is a bit interesting on this topic, for the Sphere shows they had them off stage (note, still using real cabs just off the stage) which for what that specific venue has going on kind of makes sense (granted, D&C kept amps/cabs on stage for their months of shows there, so…). Anyway after those shows Trey made a big post how they were going to continue going that route. Well, for Trey that lasted exactly one day before the cabs came back on stage and remained for the rest of the tour. Mike Gordon continued to keep his bass cabs off stage but obviously they were finding that lacking still as they then engineered a whole “rumble pad” setup for him and Trey to stand on with a hex pickup connected to Mike’s bass to simulate the haptic feedback/vibrations of having those cabs on stage. Just a little food for thought :beer

Phish’s recent antics with cabs is a bit interesting on this topic, for the Sphere shows they had them off stage (note, still using real cabs just off the stage) which for what that specific venue has going on kind of makes sense (granted, D&C kept amps/cabs on stage for their months of shows there, so…). Anyway after those shows Trey made a big post how they were going to continue going that route. Well, for Trey that lasted exactly one day before the cabs came back on stage and remained for the rest of the tour. Mike Gordon continued to keep his bass cabs off stage but obviously they were finding that lacking still as they then engineered a whole “rumble pad” setup for him and Trey to stand on with a hex pickup connected to Mike’s bass to simulate the haptic feedback/vibrations of having those cabs on stage. Just a little food for thought :beer
They're professionals though? :columbo

I kid I kid!

Ah yes, Phish. What I think of when I think of unwashed feet and 3 minute songs that last 8 minutes too long. I’ll play through a cab ("FRFR" or guitar backline) if the venue calls for it, but that doesn’t negate the IEM or the fact that my direct tone sounds like a well-mic’d cab through FOH (because that’s what an IR is, the sound of a mic’d cab, but you knew that). I would never ask anyone in a jam band their preference for anything if I was looking for options, lol.

That seems completely overkill. 🤯

I personally love a good amp pushing air on stage. No need to mic it up, it's just for my personal "feeling". The signal is split and FOH gets a cab sim, mono or stereo doesn't matter, both doable.

The perks of ampless/in-ear setups I can understand pretty well, tho. Just not what my gut prefers.

Better be able to send and receive midi tempo :hmm

yes-nodding.gif

Love or hate jam bands there’s a whole hell of a lot going on in terms of well thought out stage sound production and the effort put into it. Especially compared to most other styles of music.Stating otherwise is just ignorance :idk

It doesn’t get much worse as an audience member than seeing a prog metal band running modelers direct in a 1k venue if you’re standing anywhere near the front

As always though I’m a big proponent of playing what you like and what works best for you and your situation. I don’t think there’s objective right or wrong ways in any of this

I use IEMs (getting a miced cab signal) and they are absolutely a bit of a fun sucker (for me anyway) but necessary for my scenario

Denying the difference in feel and haptic feesback if direct IRs vs a cab on stage is just nonsense. Whether or not that is important enough or makes a big enough difference them to be swayed in a certain direction is up to the individual

Speaking of unwashed feet; I stubbed the fuck out of my toe the other day and now my pinkie toenail is black and it looks like I am breaking my own no fingernail polish rule :hmm

Guitar playing from the guitar player's POV is not about AB tests though. If IEMs trip your trigger; have at it. If playing through a plastic turd of a powered wedge trips your trigger, have at it. If playing through a Triple Recto trips your trigger, have at it. You can "correct" someone all you like but if they are successful in their own self-set criteria; your correction is falling on deaf ears. Sometimes literally :ROFLMAO:
That's all true and has nothing to do with what I wrote

To be clear the claim was about why IEMs on stage sound better to the audience.

I did single out the claim that someone in 3 minutes with one mic in a leaky environment could beat a studio full of mics in isolation in a well treated room as well

I don't doubt there are guitar players that will play happier in front of walls of marshall stacks.

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit of A and a bit of B. 3.80 is primarily an amp and (minor) effect update, but there are always little things we do behind the scenes. The reason updates have been far and few between is because the team's working on other big stuff. Doesn't mean we're done with Helix/HX, however.

Thanks mate !

In your other post, you wrote that there is some special coding [my words] to not affect existing Amp sounds and feel (?)

This sounds like, for example, if you guys, find a way to better model, or represent, say, power amp modeling response, that will only be applied to Amps modeled after that "discovery" (?)

If (?) that's the case, that seems "unusual" [to me] to withhold those improvements from all the other Amps (?)

I get the idea is you don't want to mess with people long-standing developed presets, but this approach would seem (?) to have a minor/major impact on making everything "more better" (?)

If (?) I've understood it correctly, it kind of doesn't really make sense in terms of making every Amp and EFX in the Helix as good / accurate / up-to-date in terms of continually improving modeling techniques as it can be (?)

Thanks mate !

In your other post, you wrote that there is some special coding [my words] to not affect existing Amp sounds and feel (?)

This sounds like, for example, if you guys, find a way to better model, or represent, say, power amp modeling response, that will only be applied to Amps modeled after that "discovery" (?)

If (?) that's the case, that seems "unusual" [to me] to withhold those improvements from all the other Amps (?)

I get the idea is you don't want to mess with people long-standing developed presets, but this approach would seem (?) to have a minor/major impact on making everything "more better" (?)

If (?) I've understood it correctly, it kind of doesn't really make sense in terms of making every Amp and EFX in the Helix as good / accurate / up-to-date in terms of continually improving modeling techniques as it can be (?)
I think the key here is DI’s sentence says existing PRESETS aren’t affected.

I think the key here is DI’s sentence says existing PRESETS aren’t affected.
Which brings me back to these questions
Does that mean the old preset doesn’t get affected by the changes? When does it get affected, once it is re-saved? But then you couldn’t make any changes to your old presets without incurring unintended changes. Does a whole new preset need to be created?
I would really like to know how this works

I don’t think what IRs sound like through FOH has been much of a matter of contention from anyone

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Exactly...I think the point was around what the tone sounded like to the PLAYER. If that doesn't make a difference to you as a player, no prob. It does to me.

FWIW, I would say less than 15% of the concerts that I've attended have been well mixed. Most are either too loud or poorly mixed or both.

Back