Helix 3.8 when?

I know people get upset in the past when anyone suggests Helix is getting long in the tooth , and I don't feel that way at all 10 years is an insane run going into the 11th this January
but the signs to me are starting to look like Helix is winding down

- the updates is smaller
- the time between is getting longer
- DI says the Line 6 team has never been busier , so obviously a large part of their time is spent working on new products and likely next gen stuff
I bought my Helix LT 4'5 years ago. It's been by far the best device I've had for guitar. Now, if a new product is coming soon, I'm in. I trust Line6 team ability to create an even better device from the strong and weak points in Helix.

And on the other hand, I don't think Helix would totally disappear once the new thing is released. You can never know, but I'd still expect 2-4 more updates, as the new device might probably use a similar audio core engine, so new content would still possibly be delivered. Maybe too much to assume, but not crazy.

In any case, if the new device has enough interesting features for me, I would just jump to the new boat.

Lately, I'm using the command center per-snapshot feature. I usually have 8 snapshots, but I program my sequences in order to use just the bottom row of footswitches. So, for instance, a device with a much bigger amount of snapshots available, a way to properly program a snapshot sequence for a song, and just the bottom row of 4 footswitches (or maybe use the top row for mode, tap tempo, tuner and whatever), would be an insta-buy for me.

Other than that, more DSP, better screen for daylight, ability to edit from mobile through Bluetooth... Those are things that they can only put in a new device (or at least a new generation Helix device of they want to keep the brand), and that would get my money very easily.

If we’re wishlisting the next gen, I really just want enough DSP to run 4 amps/IRs/cabs and all the cool modifier options for FX that Fractal and Boss have. Using a compressor or input level to modify parameters is really my next thing I want to get into. I don’t even care if it sounds “better”.

Fwiw, as I likely will never see any of my most relevant wishes becoming reality, as far as "common" things go, I'd like to see a proper MIAB pedal (there's none), a Boss OD3 (aka "Natural Drive" on their GT units), a Caroline Wave Cannon (the Havoc switch is friggin' incredibly, but admittedly I don't know whether it could even work in a buffered environment) and a proper Fuzz not requiring any impedance adjustments (the VS Audio Pandora Fuzz & Boost is a fantastic device for a buffered environment in case someone at L6 needs something to study).

Oh, and I want a delay with an envelope shaper at the input, taking away all the pesky attacks on repeats. Works very well in plugin land (could post an example).

Dear Eric,

I'v been following the Helix threads for years now, and haven't really sensed an urge to step in until now.

I think that the Super Reverb would be an amazing addition, especially a silverface one, since there really aren't any silverface Fenders, except for the most recent Bassman.

Also, I'm following things on ideascale, and there's quite a few posts over there that are aimed to raise the attention around the SansAmp GT2. It has been mentioned as a desired distortion flavour at the start of this thread as well.

I will take this opportunity to sincerely thank you and the whole Line 6 team for your diligent efforts and relentless pursuit of innovation.

Thank you.

SansAmp GT2
SansAmp GT2?!? Come on... It's like asking to add an amp model that is very inferior to the Helix palette. It doesn't make sense at all imho. GT2 was a great idea, but with all the limits of a rather simple analog circuit with a lot of well-designed equalisation to reach its result.
Maybe we could say the same about Rockman simulator, but at least it was an iconic sound and was used on an extraordinary popular album.

SansAmp GT2?!? Come on... It's like asking to add an amp model that is very inferior to the Helix palette. It doesn't make sense at all imho. GT2 was a great idea, but with all the limits of a rather simple analog circuit with a lot of well-designed equalisation to reach its result.
Maybe we could say the same about Rockman simulator, but at least it was an iconic sound and was used on an extraordinary popular album.
SansAmp Classic would be the obvious choice over GT2, but I suspect that it would be too demanding on the DSP side of things, so the GT2 would be the next best thing.

SansAmp Classic defined the guitar sound on a mega popular album as well. ;)

It also happens to be a sound featured on a shitton of 90s/mid-2000s records, and not really possible to reproduce with any major modeler out there - Helix included.

Ditto for the Rockman.

Last edited:
IMG_4897.jpeg

Back