Helix 3.7: The Freeman Update

Like what?
Some dude acting all offended because there is no amp that he wants in the update, and majority of users (because he said so) want it.
Well guess what, majority of users want knobs in HX edit*, doesn't mean we're getting them or that you should act like a rude spoiled little ditch for not getting exactly what you want.

*Because I said so

Like what?

edit:
I see, it's not even in the top 10 of requested amps.
Still hoping for a proper JCM800 and a Jubilee.
Screenshot_20230426_074725_Chrome.jpg

Earlier in the the thread, the same user said that he really hoped that 3.60 would include amps...

...like the Bogner Ecstasy and an amp with a fat clean like Dumble, Two rock finally arrive in this update.
And then, after 3.60 dropped and having not read the release notes, said:

Totally agree, except for the cabs, totally disappointed, another fuzz, another two invented amps. Oh really? Where is what most users want? like iconic amplifiers, freqouts or feedbackers etc…

He also really didn't like it when DI said that the Ecstacy wasn't even in the top 10 of the most requested amp models...

Since 3.7 is confirmed, I have a few VERY sparse/random asks I’d love to see - but I’m admittedly reaching here…and some of these are obviously very opinionated and potentially divisive asks.

1. Stock JCM 800 2204/2203 with an option to defeat the bright cap
  2. Mesa 2 ch Dual or Triple Rectifier (rev G or earlier) with bright cap - orange and red channels. The clean is largely useless on these, don’t bother. The existing one is a 3 channel, is missing the bright cap, and frankly I’m not sure who made this call but they did not have a solid handle on Mesa Rectifiers. The 2000s 3 channel rectifier is fizzier, more compressed, and THE REASON why some people dismiss rectos.
  3. Mesa Mark IV updated with some of the additional switches to allow closer replication of older Mark tones - again…sort of a questionable oversight here. In general a IIC+ would be preferable but a properly configured IV gets very close.
  4. Freqout
  5. Bogner Ecstacy Blue Pedal - one of my rigs utilizes this pedal through a 70s SFDR and I can’t get ANYTHING in HX land that replicates it. It’s the most amp-like drive pedal I’ve ever used and the only thing keeping me from retiring my pedalboard when using that rig. Plus it would drive all the chads drooling for an Ecstacy amp absolutely insane to get the pedal and not the amp. :satan
EDIT: rereading this and realized it sounds perhaps overly negative. Just to be clear, IMO L6 is killing it with HX and I’m totally appreciative of their dedication to the craft and their customers. My feedback here is given with the most positive of intentions.
The Mesa situation is kinda screwy overall in HX. We have Recto and Mark amps, but both are very opinionated takes that keep them from delivering their best for the situations we would typically see them used. I’m sure L6 consults with people before modeling their amps. I’d recommend maybe choosing a different pool of players before taking on your next Mesa - whether in HX or beyond.

Again, no offense intended.

Last edited:
I don't feel like nagging, since L6 is practically spoiling us every update so far, but here's my ever-growing wishlist:

- assignable expression LFO
- Ampeg V4/V2 preamp
- LAB Series L5/7/9/11 preamp
- Tone Bender mkII
- EHX Micro Synth
- EHX Echo Flanger/Poly Chorus
- Tech 21 Sansamp Classic
- Morley/Tel Rey Power Wah/Fuzz
- Digitech FreqOut
- EQD Acapulco Gold
- SIB Echo Drive

Last edited:
- assignable expression LFO

I'd add an envelope. Ideally a multistep one (such as to be found in most actual soft synths - and, well, Guitar Rig).
And I'd add input volume as a modulation source. Which would be fantastic for tons of purposes.

And then, to put all that to good use, I'd like to see a decent filter (different types, slopes and what not).

Oh, and did I mention I'd love to see global blocks? Maybe not, so: I'd love to see global blocks!

Based on some of the reactions to 3.60 on TGP, if I were Line 6 I'd probably model a OG Peavey Bandit before delivering a Bogner Ecstasy model! ;)
The thing is, we don't check boxes, and priority order gets shuffled around all the time. However, that guy's comments on TGP may have pushed the Bogner farther down a couple of notches. (Not really.)

If we only paid attention to requests, Helix would be a far more boring and pedestrian piece of gear.

The thing is, we don't check boxes, and priority order gets shuffled around all the time. However, that guy's comments on TGP may have pushed the Bogner farther down a couple of notches. (Not really.)

If we only paid attention to requests, Helix would be a far more boring and pedestrian piece of gear.
His comments are a lot more fun if you read them in Comic Book Guy's voice.

Yeah, yeah totally. I can see that point.

But seriously, Mesa Badlander?

I get the impression that people like Ben and Sam really enjoy working on new original models, and I presume Line 6 encourages this as it keeps them happy and content at work? :)

I fired up the Elmsley model, paired with a dual open casts cabs, threw in a legacy screamer with a Bass knob, loaded up a huge plate followed by an ambience playing through my headphones and I was in "Sounds like a live rock gig" heaven. The main thing I was missing was a roaring audience which got me thinking about my next HX fw request add:

A Crowd/ Audience Simulator Block

Params:
Crowd Size
Spread
Uproar
Mexican Wave (assignable to the expression pedal.. essentially a pan+uproar)
Random Screamer (random seed that initialized chance of some lone guy screaming randomly from among the audience)
Cougher
And ofcourse, Mix.

All these should be footswitchable, assignable to expression controllers, so we can simulate audience responses, while playing alone (Or at a gig to compensate for a bad set/encouragement)

Back