Halp plaeze! How to grab YT audio into DAW (directly)?

fretworn

Rock Star
I swear someone mentioned this early on… But perhaps if we can establish a thread for it, it would be very useful.

I need to go to grab a sound effect and found a freeware YT one that might work.

Whatcha’ll like?

Since YouTube is constantly dodging those kinds of sites that change often, I just do a quick search for “Download YouTube,” and usually find one that provides a download of audio and/or video.

I swear someone mentioned this early on… But perhaps if we can establish a thread for it, it would be very useful.

I need to go to grab a sound effect and found a freeware YT one that might work.

Whatcha’ll like?
Download the free version of loopback. It can handle up to like 20 minutes I think? It acts as another audio device that you can set as the input in Logic, then in the Loopback app you can route audio from an app (or mix audio from multiple apps) to feed the loopback output (which you have already assigned as your DAWs audio device input.

This for Mac

Last edited:
I've done it a very shonky way in the past - with patch cables going from an interface output back to two inputs, and just taken care to turn down any monitoring options to avoid feedback loops. But then you need to be happy just sitting and playing through the video...

You can use the soundcard as an input source in Audacity and record directly from it. Not that I have ever recorded any full length album audio streams that way or anything :sofa

You can use the soundcard as an input source in Audacity and record directly from it.
ryan reynolds hd GIF

When you can just download audio only.

I do a Google search for "YouTube to MP3" (or mp4) and try which ever conversion website works the best at the time.

I do a Google search for "YouTube to MP3" (or mp4) and try which ever conversion website works the best at the time.
That’s exactly what I ended up doing.

I was getting all kinds of crap from the other links from the DL sites… unreal that shit still continues to this day.

Troja Trojanisches Pferd GIF by ZDF

That’s exactly what I ended up doing.

I was getting all kinds of crap from the other links from the DL sites… unreal that s**t still continues to this day.

Troja Trojanisches Pferd GIF by ZDF
I usually find the first time I try to download a conversion I get an executable program instead of audio. Second time around usually gives me what I want

iOS users, if you all don’t mind throwing this person a few bucks, they created an iOS Shortcut that adds a “Download YouTube” selection to your “Share Sheets:”

It’s the most efficient way I’ve found to do this on iOS devices. 👍🏻

I’m laughing in the 2-click process it is to get Soundflower routing audio to Logic.
I must have been doing something wrong 3 years ago when I was futsing with it. I just couldn't get it to work. It's still on my Mac and I should try it again, but I'm sure the storms will knock out my power any minute so everything critical to my fun time is off or unplugged.

Back