Hagar Anthony VH song on Stern -Satch using modeler

That whole thing was so weird. It still amazes/weirds me out to try and grasp that it happened.
Talk about weird vibes in a frontman. Jesus christ quit fucking prancing around while your guitarist is in addiction hell :mad: He needed to start a band with that Dennis DeYoung replacement who had that rotating keyboard platform :poop::ROFLMAO:

It's safe to say EVH would have been successful at some level without DLR or Hagar, but you can't discount Roth's part in Van Halen (as we know them). He is equal part of the formula. Without him, it doesn't exist.

Absolutely true. They wouldn't have gone through the roof without DLR and his showmanship. Doesn't make him a better singer later on, though.

He needed to start a band with that Dennis DeYoung replacement who had that rotating keyboard platform :poop::ROFLMAO:

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

Okay, that is extra funny to me as a Canadian. Grew up very familiar with Mr Larry Gowan, aka Mr “Strange Animal”. :ROFLMAO:

Never met him, but have family who worked with his brother and I remember talking to the brother when Gowan got the Styx gig. Was hired for something like a million-a-year salary, he said at the time. (Also, as a teen, I was in a band that was managed by a guy who was Gowan's early manager.)

Anyway, thanks for the laugh and you're right, there are definitely stage-presence/prancing similarities with Cherone and the Strange Animal. :grin

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

Okay, that is extra funny to me as a Canadian. Grew up very familiar with Mr Larry Gowan, aka Mr “Strange Animal”. :ROFLMAO:

Never met him, but have family who worked with his brother and I remember talking to the brother when Gowan got the Styx gig. Was hired for something like a million-a-year salary, he said at the time. (Also, as a teen, I was in a band that was managed by a guy who was Gowan's early manager.)

Anyway, thanks for the laugh and you're right, there are definitely stage-presence/prancing similarities with Cherone and the Strange Animal. :grin
I watched a Styx concert on YouTube, and was impressed with him as a singer and a solid keyboardist. Not an easy task to replace Dennis vocally. But yeah, the spinning keyboard was an odd choice.

I watched a Styx concert on YouTube, and was impressed with him as a singer and a solid keyboardist. Not an easy task to replace Dennis vocally.

For sure! I don't mean to sound dismissive of his singing and playing. He more than delivers the goods in that area and is a super talented, high-level musician. And I always loved his song “Criminal Mind,” which he still performs with Styx. All of his solo material was pretty solid and melodic, Strange Animal jokes aside.

I actually like some of Gowan's solo stuff. DeYoung's vocals just totally thrill me though; Queen of Spades is just a fucking incredible song, I always get goosebumps when he hits those high notes.

I saw a snippet of Dan Rather interviewing Shaw, Young, and Gowan, asking about any potential for a reunion with DeYoung, and the two guys who played with him said no. From what I've read, DeYoung just tried to move the band in his own direction, away from everyone else's, and Shaw especially couldn't take it. To me the pinnacle from them will always be Blue Collar Man.

DeYoung is way too annunciative in this way that makes me think he's a weirdo cult leader, and maybe sings in Broadway shows I don't give a shit about, but I can't help but love him anyway. I mean, I still listen to Mr. Roboto for enjoyment, seriously. I have it on a "told from the robot man's perspective playlist" with NM 156 by Queensryche. My favorite singer is still Geoff Tate, so I'm apparently a fan of guys who are quirky, dramatic, and egomaniacal, egomaniacal according to bandmates, i.e.

@paisleywookiee It's cool to read something positive about DeYoung! That's something I didn't expect.

I would rather hang with Sammy One Bazillion times over DLR
You Can Do It Thumbs Up GIF by Kathryn Dean

Sammy would be the go-to guy for a party, obviously, but I'd actually like to just sit and observe DLR do his thing for a bit. Maybe engage on occasion. I listened to some of his podcast a couple years ago and that dude is absolutely intelligent. I'm curious where the famous DLR ends and the real one begins.

Back