Hagar Anthony VH song on Stern -Satch using modeler

cragginshred

Roadie
Clearly some sort of "FRFR" tilted behind Joe. Not sure if its a FM9 or? Tone is meh, certainly not Ed's glorious plexi on steroids. Vocals sounds solid though. I like Joe a lot but the solo sounds like a teen in his bedroom on YT covering it. Certainly good but not Ed. Having said that I would pay to see this! :rawk

Clearly some sort of "FRFR" tilted behind Joe. Not sure if its a FM9 or? Tone is meh, certainly not Ed's glorious plexi on steroids.

That's a Fender Tonemaster Pro coupled with a Fender FR-12 "FRFR" for stage volume.

Fender Tone Master Pro review: a very Fender floor modeller

There has been some speculation as of why Satch used this setup on Stern - specially since he has never been endorsed by Fender in the first place.

That's a Fender Tonemaster Pro coupled with a Fender FR-12 "FRFR" for stage volume.

Fender Tone Master Pro review: a very Fender floor modeller

There has been some speculation as of why Satch used this setup on Stern - specially since he has never been endorsed by Fender in the first place.
Thank god it was not the Fractal because it’s sounded like a modeller or a solid state practice amp IMO their Plexi sounds worse than the 5153 video that Jon posted that caused all the controversy

Thank god it was not the Fractal because it’s sounded like a modeller or a solid state practice amp IMO their Plexi sounds worse than the 5153 video that Jon posted that caused all the controversy
Pretty much everything sounds crappy in that video though. I feel like late night show musical guests often end up sounding like crap somehow. Which is odd because usually their house bands sound great.

Maybe it sounded good in the room but somehow terrible when recorded.

Pretty much everything sounds crappy in that video though. I feel like late night show musical guests often end up sounding like crap somehow. Which is odd because usually their house bands sound great.

Maybe it sounded good in the room but somehow terrible when recorded.

I never really liked Satch's tone in a band (Chickenfoot) context but... yeah, this was nowhere near his best.

I still wonder how the heck he ended up playing Fender's new Tonemaster rig on Stern's; i don't think i've ever seen him relying on a modeler for live amp tones before. If this was an endorsement deal, it didn't pan out great IMHO.

I suspect by the time they hit opening night Joe will be fine. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of videos to check out.

I would assume that Fender sent that stuff to "The Howard Stern Show" for guests to use, rather than a Satriani-specific endorsement?
I guess it's not impossible for Joe to try it and think "Cool, I'll use this for quick one-offs" if he was sent one, but he seems switched-on enough to know there's much better stuff out there.

I would assume that Fender sent that stuff to "The Howard Stern Show" for guests to use, rather than a Satriani-specific endorsement?

I've seen bands playing with full rigs on Stern's before, so 🤷‍♂️

I really wonder if Joe was just toying with the TMP + FR-12 at that time, and just decided to test a lightweight rig on a gig scenario.

Last edited:
I've seen bands playing with full rigs on Stern's before, so 🤷‍♂️

I really wonder if Joe was just toying with the TMP + FR-12 at the tim, and just decided to test a lightweight rig on a gig scenario.

It’s also been an issue for years, going back to the 90’s. Hum came on and almost refused to play because Fred was trying to make them go direct into the board when they showed up with half stacks. They ended up setting up the amps and drums in the hallway and it was a shitshow.

Metallica was on there a while back and James’ rig was taking up as much space as Lars :rofl

Overall, it’s not an ideal room to put a live band in with amps, especially with everything pointing right at Howard. All that mic bleed from broadcast mics picking up the whole band is probably a nightmare to deal with, especially how Howard keeps his mic compression/gain CRANKED. Going direct gives a lot more control over what’s going out to the audience and I’d suspect to see more of that on his show in the future.

Oh interesting! That would make sense then, if he's just testing the waters.
I assumed that Joe would sooner rent a Marshall combo or something for that kind of setting. :idk

Black Crowes in Stern's studio used real amps and sounded killer. But I'm certain this was a fly date and likely the studio had the set up there?
To my ears in recent years Sammy has lost that killer vocal timbre and range he had in the VH era, but he sounds pretty good here with a lot of help from Mikey! Actually given his age pretty darn impressive!
I wonder what Alex/Wolfie is thinking of this? :idk

Let the "know better" games begin. :LOL:

Does anyone actually enjoy anything anymore?? :wat

:rofl

I think it is a safe assumption to say what we saw on Stern is NOT what we will see live in 2024.
I am super curious to see what their rigs actually---from Bonham's drums (does he incorporate
some electronic elements like Al did), to Satch's rig, to how much Sammy does or does not
play guitar.

Gonna be fun! :banana

Joe has never been anti-digital or anti-modeler. I think Engines Of Creation was all plug-ins, or whatever the version of that was, at that time?

He also has a recent interview clip - that Cordy made a video about - basically saying "it never sounds like it actually does," talking about recording amps and trying to get them to sound like they do in person, and how digital can, or could, possibly get you closer (if I recall the overall point correctly).

That being said, I think his row of 4x12 cabs and tube heads will be far more appropriate for this tour. :rawk

Last edited:
Back