Hagar Anthony VH song on Stern -Satch using modeler

"My embracing of contrarian thought is not always enjoyed by other people"
:bag:sofa
Turning Natalie Portman GIF by foxhorror

I’ve managed to dwindle my contrarian takes down to Devil’s Advocate takes. :rofl

Controversial opinion: I can’t stand DLR. The first album is iconic, and 1984 is great. But I never listen to anything DLR-era. Ever.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I couldn't stand the Roth era for the longest time. Van Hagar all the way!

It wasn't until a few years ago I really got to appreciate the Roth era, but it was for band as a whole, not Dr. Rockzo. I think Roth had something zeitgeist-y about him, but I just don't care for a lot of the songs, even if I can appreciate Eddie Van Halen's genius throughout.

Controversial opinion: I can’t stand DLR. The first album is iconic, and 1984 is great. But I never listen to anything DLR-era. Ever.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I couldn't stand the Roth era for the longest time. Van Hagar all the way!

It wasn't until a few years ago I really got to appreciate the Roth era, but it was for band as a whole, not Dr. Rockzo. I think Roth had something zeitgeist-y about him, but I just don't care for a lot of the songs, even if I can appreciate Eddie Van Halen's genius throughout.
Probably depends when you started listening to them. I greatly prefer DLR era stuff.

Conversely, I am not a big fan of Bon Scott era AC/DC. My experience started with Back in Black...

I don't think that's too controversial.
Roth is a poser with some lucky moments (some of those he fortunately had while being in Van Halen) whereas Hagar is an excellent musician from head to toe.

Oooo Dave by an absolute landslide imo

“Dreams” played about 20 minutes ago and I couldn’t help thinking that it sounded like it could have been in a corporate team building video from the 80’s, but yeah, the ‘serious’ subject matter was definitely a strong suit. Though I will say that Dave’s goofy ass lyrics certainly help bring out the party vibe of DLR-era VH.

“Dreams” played about 20 minutes ago and I couldn’t help thinking that it sounded like it could have been in a corporate team building video from the 80’s, but yeah, the ‘serious’ subject matter was definitely a strong suit. Though I will say that Dave’s goofy ass lyrics certainly help bring out the party vibe of DLR-era VH.
There is this narrow (40 gazillion record selling) spot where Sammy's serious is awesome. Dreams is a prime example. Right Now as well. And on 5150 at least; it was still tainted with a bit of Dave-ishness (see the song Inside). Once they kept going and digging into Sammy's Soap On a Rope bullshit and his serious side in songs not about love; that's where I was like, um; no :oops::ROFLMAO:

It's safe to say EVH would have been successful at some level without DLR or Hagar, but you can't discount Roth's part in Van Halen (as we know them). He is equal part of the formula. Without him, it doesn't exist.
Sammy is vital too though. I admit that 100%. Very rare air to be in with a band where it switches lead singers that successfully.

See, Sammy Panama is best Panama. I’ve got their live double album “Right Here, Right Now” and it’s awesome

That might have actually been the first VH album I ever owned. I know it’s definitely the one I’ve listened to the most.

Sammy is vital too though. I admit that 100%. Very rare air to be in with a band where it switches lead singers that successfully.
Oh, I love Sammy in VH too. He's much like Brian Johnson taking over Bon's duties in AC/DC.
Even though each band would still be legends hadn't that happened -- it's awesome to see how they took it another level from there.

I loved DLR VH and Van Hagar equally as a kid. As I grew older, I realized it's the DLR material that is really the classic, hall of fame level music and shunned all things Hagar-related. I've worn out those first six albums several times over and barely listened to the Hagar stuff, over time.

Since Eddie's been gone, I've gained a soft spot for the Hagar era again and enjoyed returning to it. But it's the DLR albums that will “stand the test of time,” to quote one of Hagar's most cringe-inducing lines.

Dave was a gifted writer and his creativity and personality was an integral part of VH's popular success. Both Templeman and Eddie have expressed respect for him as a writer and general creative force.

Hagar is a great rock singer and also wrote some really strong stuff with Eddie, especially on their first couple of albums together. But I don't think any of it is “rock'n'roll history“ level material like the Roth era. Mostly just good, solid AOR material, like Journey or Foreigner.

“Dreams” played about 20 minutes ago and I couldn’t help thinking that it sounded like it could have been in a corporate team building video from the 80’s…

Haha, that is a great description. I remember playing Dreams for my girlfriend in high school, and her remarking that it “sounded like something in the background of a Weight Watchers commercial.” :rofl

(And I love that song.)

Back