HAAALP with lowered tunings

Tommi Iommi

C# 9-42

Requires a light touch.
Have you managed to find any documentation to the effect that he was running 9's when he played primarily in C#? It's well known he plays 8's in E standard, but I can't find any information on his strings/ setup in the SBS/ Sabotage years. C# with 9's, with those heavy riffs, seems really improbable to me. His leads always have that cool "slippery" vibe that implies light strings... but that light?

(I'm thinking of going up from 11's to 12's at this point.)

Have you managed to find any documentation to the effect that he was running 9's when he played primarily in C#? It's well known he plays 8's in E standard, but I can't find any information on his strings/ setup in the SBS/ Sabotage years. C# with 9's, with those heavy riffs, seems really improbable to me. His leads always have that cool "slippery" vibe that implies light strings... but that light?

(I'm thinking of going up from 11's to 12's at this point.)
From what I’ve come across a few various times.

C# 9-42, d# 8-32

Here is another source;

That's idiotic. If that were the case, relief would be the same with no strings vs. Strung up to standard tuning with 13s.
Look at the context!
He is referring to neck joint related movement. The movement in SG necks usually only requires frequent truss rod adjustments. Yes its not a great design but there are a lot of perfectly functional SGs out there.

Look at the context!
He is referring to neck joint related movement. The movement in SG necks usually only requires frequent truss rod adjustments. Yes its not a great design but there are a lot of perfectly functional SGs out there.
I don't recall anybody specifically mentioning neck joint movement until I said the neck joint wasn't a problem. In fact, that's probably the only part of the neck I do trust to stay put. :D

Look at the context!
What’s the difference in flexion at the neck joint of a Telecaster, a Les Paul, and an SG?

That's idiotic. If that were the case, relief would be the same with no strings vs. Strung up to standard tuning with 13s.
That doesn't have anything to do with the glue joint. Heavier strings pull harder on the neck, introducing more bow. That's then counteracted by the truss rod.

I don't recall anybody specifically mentioning neck joint movement until I said the neck joint wasn't a problem. In fact, that's probably the only part of the neck I do trust to stay put. :D
The post say shifty neck due to neck joint design. I’m just pointing out neck movement is probably not the issue here.

That doesn't have anything to do with the glue joint. Heavier strings pull harder on the neck, introducing more bow. That's then counteracted by the truss rod.
I know it's got nothing to do with the glue joint. But that you need a trussrod to counteract the movement...tells you there is movement even once it's glued.

What’s the difference in flexion at the neck joint of a Telecaster, a Les Paul, and an SG?
Quite a lot but if your truss rod holds the correct relief it works fine. If the neck flexes and the strings go out of tune it’s a nut issue. Same problem as bending strings and not returning to pitch. Fix the nut and set up , done.

The post say shifty neck due to neck joint design. I’m just pointing out neck movement is probably not the issue here.
I don't mean to nit pick. Too much time on my hands, probably. :D But if we're talking about the same post:

"SGs are somewhat well known to have a shifty neck."

No mention of neck joint.

Quite a lot but if your truss rod holds the correct relief it works fine. If the neck flexes and the strings go out of tune it’s a nut issue. Same problem as bending strings and not returning to pitch. Fix the nut and set up , done.
As I said, I can tell the difference between unstable tuning related to the neck bowing/ unbowing, and the strings themselves slipping/ stretching flat. (The former will generally resolve when you stop applying pressure to the neck.) By contrast, string bends will pull the strings flat very quickly, requiring that I retune. But I'm not getting any of the tell-tale string binding symptoms like pinging, sudden jumps, etc.

Tuning issues are going to be caused by friction points unless the guitar is incapable of holding a string equilibrium. I seriously doubt that this is your issue. Tuners, nut, stringing up, bridge will be . One of them or a combination. Setup by any decent tech will fix it unless there’s something you haven’t noticed.

If anyone has played a perfectly stable Gibson the string butler is an ugly unnecessary addition.

If anyone has played a perfectly stable Gibson the string butler is an ugly unnecessary addition.
Well, sure, by definition. I'm considering the String Butler because this particular guitar is not perfectly stable. Or anywhere near it.

I'd be interested in hearing any specific thoughts as to what might go wrong on the bridge side of the equation?

Well, sure, by definition. I'm considering the String Butler because this particular guitar is not perfectly stable. Or anywhere near it.

I'd be interested in hearing any specific thoughts as to what might go wrong on the bridge side of the equation?
Post some close up pictures of the way the strings are on, the bridge and the nut .

OK, not sure how much good these photos will do. There's not a lot to see, aside from the way the nut is shaped maybe - and the black doesn't help to make the pictures any clearer. I did verify that there's clearance over the bridge; i.e. no friction on the string between the saddles and the tailpiece. (I can get a pick under there.)

One thing I noticed today, that has me a bit less hopeful about the String Butler hail mary, is that the break angle on the G and D strings is actually a little less severe on the Epiphone SGs than on the "real" Gibsons, owing to the (somewhat dorky) oversized Epi headstock. I guess you could look at it as a feature LOL.

These will zoom x4 if you click on them:

WaCvvFU.jpg

d8EUF3w.jpg

qyzbvk4.jpg

sju9pNb.jpg

R6uskOp.jpg

Jnzy65J.jpg

Back