HAAALP with lowered tunings

It's hard to swallow the idea of anybody setting it up any better than I can, myself. I've been setting up all my own guitars for ~30 years, and I've been good at it for about 20. It's hard to even trust anyone else. But this guitar has me completely dumbfounded. I don't want to just start taking shots in the dark (e.g. better tuning machines) that may or may not help. I have considered a new nut (I've always liked Graphtec/ Ebanol) but I would probably have to have a professional cut it properly for me.

In the meantime, I guess I will go for heavier strings and a gallon of lube and see where that gets me. (I had some SuperVee Nut Evolution around here, but can't seem to turn it up.) Thanks for the string gauge calculator!

My hunch is those lighter strings and downtuning to C# may not be providing enough tension. Especially
on a shorter 24.75 Gibson scale length like on the SG. So going with some stouter strings could do it.

Good luck. :beer

My SG is probably tied as my favourite guitar with the 335. Love Gibsons. Send the Mob! :banana

Yeah, that's from trying to get such low tunings out of a 24.75" scale length. And the super light strings only make it worse.

It's very possible that a Nashville bridge just doesn't have enough room to intonate strings that skinny tuned that low.

You can flip the saddles around to get a little more room
We’re crossing a few streams here, though. That intonation problem persists even in E standard, with 10’s - which shouldn’t be a tall order. I’ll look at turning the saddle around, though - thanks!

My hunch is those lighter strings and downtuning to C# may not be providing enough tension. Especially
on a shorter 24.75 Gibson scale length like on the SG. So going with some stouter strings could do it.

Good luck. :beer

My SG is probably tied as my favourite guitar with the 335. Love Gibsons. Send the Mob! :banana
Yeah, definitely. As I said, going back to E standard does help a lot, but not entirely. I think the remaining difficulty is your typical friction at nut/bridge, but yeesh - much worse than I’ve encountered on any other guitar.

We’re crossing a few streams here, though. That intonation problem persists even in E standard, with 10’s - which shouldn’t be a tall order. I’ll look at turning the saddle around, though - thanks!

I have had to do that a few times when I used skinny top heavy bottom strings.

Yeah, definitely. As I said, going back to E standard does help a lot, but not entirely. I think the remaining difficulty is your typical friction at nut/bridge, but yeesh - much worse than I’ve encountered on any other guitar.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. :beer

Sucks to have a guitar you otherwise like and can't play because of an issue like that. Hope you get it sorted.

Do you actually like anything? :idk

:rofl
I might be a little picky :rofl :whistle

I guess I'll say I know what I like and what I don't like. Most subjects that have my interest I am pretty well decisive on. Black SGs are :love:satan White SGs are :love:satan That weird coffee table red brown look is just gross to me? The Rose Gold that @metropolis_4 is FANTASTIC and not one I would expect myself to like from description alone?

I have a custom shop 61 SG Les Paul and have a hate and hate worse relationship with that guitar. The maestro trem may be the worst design in the history of mankind. The SG in general I always feel like I’m reaching my arm out to play in first position. Strap buttons located in an awkward place. There’s just nothing to like about an SG. No wonder by ‘63 Les wanted no parts of them. Good luck in your endeavors but in my opinion you’re trying to turn a platypus into a stallion.

I have a custom shop 61 SG Les Paul and have a hate and hate worse relationship with that guitar. The maestro trem may be the worst design in the history of mankind. The SG in general I always feel like I’m reaching my arm out to play in first position. Strap buttons located in an awkward place. There’s just nothing to like about an SG. No wonder by ‘63 Les wanted no parts of them. Good luck in your endeavors but in my opinion you’re trying to turn a platypus into a stallion.
I never liked the look of SGs - always thought they looked like a goofy Batman prop. I bought this one because I wanted a fixed bridge guitar specifically to work on detuned Sabbath stuff, and it just so fit the bill. Immediate impressions were much like your own - geometry and weight distribution are weird; it always feels like it's running away from you. But I've made my peace with all of that (translation: it's too late to send it back LOL), and this particular SG does look cool as Hell, what with the Iommi fanboy inlays and all. :D

I just have to figure out to get the thing to hold its tuning. And honestly, in absence of a fully floating bridge, that shouldn't be such a big ask from a ~$900 guitar.

I never liked the look of SGs - always thought they looked like a goofy Batman prop. I bought this one because I wanted a fixed bridge guitar specifically to work on detuned Sabbath stuff, and it just so fit the bill. Immediate impressions were much like your own - geometry and weight distribution are weird; it always feels like it's running away from you. But I've made my peace with all of that (translation: it's too late to send it back LOL), and this particular SG does look cool as Hell, what with the Iommi fanboy inlays and all. :D

I just have to figure out to get the thing to hold its tuning. And honestly, in absence of a fully floating bridge, that shouldn't be such a big ask from a ~$900 guitar.
I hear ya. Do you have much experience with fixed bridge LP style non locking nut guitars? I ask because I went years improperly stringing these instruments and complained about tuning issues too. The wind should look like the attached where the first wind is caught under the rest of them. Short of that, the nut would be the other concern.

Attachments

• 9EEF4AB4-5F65-4B62-95DD-147E4C5D0C00.jpeg
    9EEF4AB4-5F65-4B62-95DD-147E4C5D0C00.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 12
I hear ya. Do you have much experience with fixed bridge LP style non locking nut guitars? I ask because I went years improperly stringing these instruments and complained about tuning issues too. The wind should look like the attached where the first wind is caught under the rest of them. Short of that, the nut would be the other concern.
I was never a LP guy, but I went through a “Hamer phase” that included a lot of tune-o-matic guitars (Artists, etc.) that may as well have been LPs. Still, your point is well-taken. Most of my guitars have locking tuners or locking nuts, and I can get a little sloppy about securing the strings properly on guitars that don’t. Will triple-check this.

(My first inclination was to put locking tuners on this SG, but I don’t want to have to drill for set screws or shafts, and I REALLY don’t want to make the neck dive any worse. :O)

I was never a LP guy, but I went through a “Hamer phase” that included a lot of tune-o-matic guitars (Artists, etc.) that may as well have been LPs. Still, your point is well-taken. Most of my guitars have locking tuners or locking nuts, and I can get a little sloppy about securing the strings properly on guitars that don’t. Will triple-check this.

(My first inclination was to put locking tuners on this SG, but I don’t want to have to drill for set screws or shafts, and I REALLY don’t want to make the neck dive any worse. :O)
Drilling into that guitar is probably a really bad idea, especially if you come to realize you just wont get along with it and want to cut your losses and liquidate it into some cash. Try restringing it, if still a problem the nut may be worth looking at. After that I say burn the damn thing.

Oh………….

IN MY OPINION. I’M JUST A GUY ON THE INTERNET.

Just for the intellectually challenged among us. Cant have people thinking I’m any kind of authority on the issue or god or anything like that.

Drilling into that guitar is probably a really bad idea, especially if you come to realize you just wont get along with it and want to cut your losses and liquidate it into some cash. Try restringing it, if still a problem the nut may be worth looking at. After that I say burn the damn thing.

Oh………….

IN MY OPINION. I’M JUST A GUY ON THE INTERNET.

Just for the intellectually challenged among us. Cant have people thinking I’m any kind of authority on the issue or god or anything like that.
Agree 100%. A lot of people will say, “It’s just an Indonesian Epiphone; drill it, do whatever tf you want with it.” But this neglects the fact that it is a somewhat collectible, identifiable, limited run instrument, and a lot of its value lies in its being all-original - however big or small that value may be.

Last edited:
Not sure what to tell ya. I’ve had 3 SGs and all of them have been perfect for me. Sold the SG Classic because it had the notorious neck dive. So I guess that one wasn’t perfect. My first standard I sold because I wanted another Les Paul Standard. But current remaining SG (pictured) is just a joy to play. Holds tuning like a champ - whether sitting on a stand or hanging on the wall, I can pick it up after weeks, and it’ll still be perfectly in tune. Boomer bends like a champ…stays in tune. Granted I’m not doing any drop tuning or downtuning, so maybe that’s the issue. But I haven’t had the poor experience you’ve apparently had that suggests that it’s a flawed design that’s never been fixed. :idk

6F2E696F-B118-4D8A-8FB8-ECA62AEECBED.jpeg

Not sure what to tell ya. I’ve had 3 SGs and all of them have been perfect for me. Sold the SG Classic because it had the notorious neck dive. So I guess that one wasn’t perfect. My first standard I sold because I wanted another Les Paul Standard. But current remaining SG (pictured) is just a joy to play. Holds tuning like a champ - whether sitting on a stand or hanging on the wall, I can pick it up after weeks, and it’ll still be perfectly in tune. Boomer bends like a champ…stays in tune. Granted I’m not doing any drop tuning or downtuning, so maybe that’s the issue. But I haven’t had the poor experience you’ve apparently had that suggests that it’s a flawed design that’s never been fixed. :idk

View attachment 2465
Well, again, my guitar has issues even in E standard, but I suspect it’s a combination of things. It is MUCH worse in C#, so that’s probably a matter of string gauge. Minor issues in E are probably the typical nut/ lubrication concerns. And maybe eventually these tuning machines will have to go. It is encouraging to hear about your successes with SGs, though.

Well, again, my guitar has issues even in E standard, but I suspect it’s a combination of things. It is MUCH worse in C#, so that’s probably a matter of string gauge. Minor issues in E are probably the typical nut/ lubrication concerns. And maybe eventually these tuning machines will have to go. It is encouraging to hear about your successes with SGs, though.
I ordered a set of the trivium 7 string pack for my 7 string LP. Better be fantastic for the price lol

I have the Epi Iommi Custom SG. Bought it used... I think it had 10s on it when I bought it. It's in standard tuning now with 9s. It doesn't have any tuning issues and I love the pickups. @mbenigni sorry you're having trouble with yours.

Does it have Grover’s or the Kluson style “Epiphone Deluxe” tuners?

I doubt the tuners are part of the tuning problems you’re having, but I get wanting to have locking tuners.

Ever consider a string butler?

Back