Gx 100, setting up good basic tone. Help please...

JayGuitar

Hi,

Bought the Gx-100 a couple weeks ago. I'm playing with a Telecaster and an Ernie ball music man (humbuckers), through a Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp or my JC-120. I've properly calibrated the inputs levels for each guitar. I've tried various output selections, including the Roland JC-120 option while playing with my JC-120 amp.

In all cases, I find the pedal sucks the tone out of my guitar, as if a pillow has been placed in front of the amp. I've tried various patch presets and have also tried creating a preset completely empty just to hear a clean signal, and always the same result. I tried tweaking the Global EQ and turning it off.

Any ideas ? What am I doing wrong ? Why does the pedal seem to choke the basic guitar sound ?

Thanks in advance.

You have cab sims off on the GX-100 when hooked up to either of the real amps, right?

Otherwise I'd play around with the output level on the GX-100. It's likely that you aren't hearing "tone suck" in an empty preset but just a difference in level. Use a decibel meter (or even a phone app) to check. Put it about 1m away from the cab and measure the volume with and without the GX-100.

Are you playing into the fx return on the amps or plugging straight to the input?

Your guitar is plugged into GX-100 and the output L/MONO is cabled into JC-120 INPUT?

The other thing to check is the MEMORY LEVEL, which can be set in the range 0-200.

This is a per-patch level that is set in the MST block on the far right in Effects view.

Last edited:
Back