Guitar brands and third party manufacturers. Who makes it , where and does it matter.

For people with money :rofl
Would love one of those ... even mij
That one is great. It belongs to a friend of mine who is a great player. Not rich but serious. Guitars are relatively cheap compared with other professional quality instruments. Oh and the MIJ versions are just as well built but not as consistent in tone. The wood selection and neck to body sonic compatibility are not quite as perfect. I don’t know where they get such amazing perfect straight grain wood from.
IMG_3384.jpeg

IMG_3385.jpeg

They are all like this.

That one is great. It belongs to a friend of mine who is a great player. Not rich but serious. Guitars are relatively cheap compared with other professional quality instruments. Oh and the MIJ versions are just as well built but not as consistent in tone. The wood selection and neck to body sonic compatibility are not quite as perfect. I don’t know where they get such amazing perfect straight grain wood from.
View attachment 19232

View attachment 19233
They are all like this.
Proper quarter sawn. Some Suhrs, PRS CEs come like this but in some cases it's not really quarter sawn but is cut more at an angle. Looks awesome!

It has one of the best acoustic tones of any electric I have played.
Love that with guitars! All the guitars I like have a powerful sound unplugged. There's something to that that transfers to electric tones. I also realised that usually lighter guitars are more resonant and just nicer overall.
That’s a hard working guitar, I’ve done so much to it over the years.
You know this already but maybe others don't but when you take even a cheap mass produced guitar and start working on it and make it yours there's something special happening there. It turns from a soulless guitar looking object to your personal instrument. I think all guitarists should know a little bit about working on their guitars even if it's small stuff like rounding fret edges, fretboard edges, changing hardware etc...

Love that with guitars! All the guitars I like have a powerful sound unplugged. There's something to that that transfers to electric tones. I also realised that usually lighter guitars are more resonant and just nicer overall.

You know this already but maybe others don't but when you take even a cheap mass produced guitar and start working on it and make it yours there's something special happening there. It turns from a soulless guitar looking object to your personal instrument. I think all guitarists should know a little bit about working on their guitars even if it's small stuff like rounding fret edges, fretboard edges, changing hardware etc...
Totally and the more you play them the better they sound. I used to think that was just me but the more the thing vibrates together seems to help with the balance . John (Suhr) was at one time going to try to make a machine to replicate the effect .
You can do a lot to a basic guitar if the bones are right and many are if you know what to look for. This is the most important part and why I way prefer a MIM FMI instrument to many of the newer brands likes Sire because they are built out of gold plated shit.

• 100%
Reactions: SKU
I’m actually surprised you think the stuff coming out of Mexican Taylor and Martin factories is good. That’s not what I see come through. LOTS of crap coming from those companies’ MIM factories.

I beg to differ sir...last month (January) I bought a Taylor 114ce-S through Dave's Guitar shop along with a very nice Taylor padded gig bag.

It's a '23 model and I'm really very happy with this guitar ! If there was the slightest issue, trust me I would have returned it.

In short, I have no regrets with this guitar. Maybe mine was an exception.....

btw...the condition of my guitar appeared to be un-played, like new.

Totally and the more you play them the better they sound. I used to think that was just me but the more the thing vibrates together seems to help with the balance . John (Suhr) was at one time going to try to make a machine to replicate the effect .
That's a weird one which I didn't think it was possible until it happened to some of my guitars. I don't know if it's just age, or the vibrations or the environment they are kept in but it is very obvious that they change over time.
Have this Gibson HP2 which seemed to be a lemon when I bought it. Sounded fine-ish ... plugged in ... kinda low sustain but no push ... . Sounded dead unplugged so I never really played it. After a couple of years, I don't know if it's because I started playing it a lot more ( I just like the neck profile ) or because of time but now it's a very resonant guitar and it has none of those problems it had when I bought it...

Not me. Because, (1) like many folks, I prefer flat-sawn necks; (2) I'm not about to spend the kind of money one does on a Tyler to then have to swap out everything but the neck/body; (3) its ugly AF.
Why flat sawn necks? You would not need to swap anything. And ugly, obviously a matter of taste.

I am guilty of this but what I often see people who buy 10 Harley Bentons or other cheap guitars rather than buying one nice guitar. In retrospect that makes no sense ...

Why flat sawn necks? You would not need to swap anything. And ugly, obviously a matter of taste.
Believe it or not, different people have different preferences. I personally have found that the quarter-sawn neck guitars I have played all sounded a bit "zingy" for lack of a better term; felt a little dead (not sound...physical vibration in the hand) and, like everything else about the Tyler, I find them ugly AF. I'm okay tweaking a truss rod.

You yourself said in your first post about this guitar that you swapped the pickups a billion times, I think the bridge and tuners as well?

Not me. Because, (1) like many folks, I prefer flat-sawn necks; (2) I'm not about to spend the kind of money one does on a Tyler to then have to swap out everything but the neck/body; (3) its ugly AF.
That headstock, right? The shape of that headstock and the branding on it is the sole reason that I have never owned a Tyler. I have played a handful of them and they play fine but I just can't get past that headstock. I was in the market for a high end strat several years ago. I bought a Suhr. I like that headstock. :)

That headstock, right? The shape of that headstock and the branding on it is the sole reason that I have never owned a Tyler. I have played a handful of them and they play fine but I just can't get past that headstock. I was in the market for a high end strat several years ago. I bought a Suhr. I like that headstock. :)
W What? W
H What? H
A What? A
T What? T
? What? ?

Believe it or not, different people have different preferences. I personally have found that the quarter-sawn neck guitars I have played all sounded a bit "zingy" for lack of a better term; felt a little dead (not sound...physical vibration in the hand) and, like everything else about the Tyler, I find them ugly AF. I'm okay tweaking a truss rod.

You yourself said in your first post about this guitar that you swapped the pickups a billion times, I think the bridge and tuners as well?
Nothing on the guitar was swapped for anything other than trying different things. The other work was on the frets. Zingy and dead are incompatible so I am not sure I get what you mean. Generally a stiffer neck is better for transferring string energy to the body and is more stable. Usually the geometry is also better in the long run because the neck is less likely to flex at the 10~12 area as is typical on an older flat sawn. Twist is also very unlikely even with a vintage rod.

Nothing on the guitar was swapped for anything other than trying different things. The other work was on the frets. Zingy and dead are incompatible so I am not sure I get what you mean. Generally a stiffer neck is better for transferring string energy to the body and is more stable. Usually the geometry is also better in the long run because the neck is less likely to flex at the 10~12 area as is typical on an older flat sawn. Twist is also very unlikely even with a vintage rod.
Ugh. A neck can absorb energy from the strings, and a stiffer neck will absorb less energy from the strings. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is ENTIRELY subjective - I (and many others) are not a huge fan of it on solid body electric guitars.

There's a mandolin maker that I believe was a physics professor in a former life and had access to legit measurement tools that has done loads of studies on this. This "transferring energy from strings to body" is nonsense.

I am guilty of this but what I often see people who buy 10 Harley Bentons or other cheap guitars rather than buying one nice guitar. In retrospect that makes no sense ...
Unless you play in 10 different tunings, or the guitars are/ are set up fundamentally different from one another, or you need backups, or you play sketchy gigs and don't want to worry about them, or you have pets/ kids at home and same...

But mostly it's a matter of having limited resources, but still wanting the experience of buying a guitar now and again.

Unless you play in 10 different tunings, or the guitars are/ are set up fundamentally different from one another, or you need backups, or you play sketchy gigs and don't want to worry about them, or you have pets/ kids at home and same...

But mostly it's a matter of having limited resources, but still wanting the experience of buying a guitar now and again.
I get the modern relativism schtick and that it's all subjective but at some point you hit the common sense, objective truths wall.

Back