Giving 'em the C rig tonight

Could you have done this gig with nothing but a guitar and the Stomp, direct? My rule—dream rule, since who am I kidding, I always gig with more than necessary—is that two or three levels of greater overall convenience need to pay for every sonic compromise.

Could you have done this gig with nothing but a guitar and the Stomp, direct? My rule—dream rule, since who am I kidding, I always gig with more than necessary—is that two or three levels of greater overall convenience need to pay for every sonic compromise.
No. I need gr55 and a way to monitor myself. Pedalboard size is boiled down to awesome. Everyone else with amps and me with no monitor in a small venue relying on stage sound for instruments is a no go.

FIrst song in; amp started sounding like a helicopter. At first; I didn't know what was up. Swapped gk cables thinking it was bad. No dice.

I pulled the dirt pedal out of the chain as it was an Amazon cheapie and I thought there was a bad jack. No dice.

Then I remembered the last time this happened it was the Stomp being underpowered. So my new Fender pedal power that's worked at a gig the week before, at home without any problem and multiple practices suddenly was being temperamental and not giving out enough juice?
:facepalm

Ended up pulling out the stock power supply which is such a goddamn absolute honking turd. Only power strip by me had PA pieces plugged into it. The available jacks were right by the strip's power switch and the 13" plug barely fit without turning it off.
:wat

Sound wise; it was fine
:farley
The Mustang GT will be as far as I go in SS combo land. It's certainly loud enough and I could hear myself. Compared to either Boogie....well, um...it sounded like "less crispy because of the YA IR but still sizzly" s**t.
:poop:

Time for a better C rig
:cop
That is one of those things with Line 6 and UA is not any better.
Design a great unit but let's screw everyone up with the most ill-designed power supply on the planet that fits no power bar.
Between them and Universal Audio, they could each win a prize for design!

That is one of those things with Line 6 and UA is not any better.
Design a great unit but let's screw everyone up with the most ill-designed power supply on the planet that fits no power bar.
Between them and Universal Audio, they could each win a prize for design!
I get that they couldn't put an IEC jack in something as small as the Stomp. If anything; it'd at least be better to have a much longer cord? I'm back to a board mounted power strip after this either way.

I get that they couldn't put an IEC jack in something as small as the Stomp. If anything; it'd at least be better to have a much longer cord? I'm back to a board mounted power strip after this either way.
Hi JT,

Could you try this? Make a J-box that extends the low voltage end of the power supply all the way out to where you're standing. Leave the power supply limp back at the amp out of the way, where you'll have a mains outlet anyway, or at least a power strip.

Last edited:
Yes*

*I wish the El34 model came in black.
1684796020889.jpeg

Hi JT,

Could you try this? Make a J-box that extends the low voltage end of the power supply all the way out to where you're standing. Leave the power supply limp back at the amp out of the way, where you'll have a mains outlet anyway, or at least a power strip.
It's a great idea. But one which I don't have the skills to do. Ugh. Fender power supply hit that Kohl's return counter and I grabbed a 6 outlet $20 power strip. Crisis averted! Need to grab a second one spot for backup and will call it good. Well for 5 minutes at least.

It's a great idea. But one which I don't have the skills to do. Ugh. Fender power supply hit that Kohl's return counter and I grabbed a 6 outlet $20 power strip. Crisis averted! Need to grab a second one spot for backup and will call it good. Well for 5 minutes at least.
I've got a similar problem with an HXFX. One of the rack bitsas I put shot's up of here, I'll do a little box back at the rack, make a LV cable up that goes out to the HX for wherever I'm standing. Keep the Line 6 house-brick back with rack.

Wish the pedals were on AC instead of DC - makes it easier to manage from a rig builders' standpoint. It's very hard to get rid of the heat in a DC power supply - it's cost cutting at their end in a lot of ways, though I can't blame them. They don't make these things for free.

It's not just Line 6, all the other builders of high current pedals like, Eventide, Boss and Strymon have done it too.

Back