Giving 'em the C rig tonight

Design a great unit but let's screw everyone up with the most ill-designed power supply on the planet that fits no power bar.

The original DC-3G was an inexcusable POS, but they've since replaced these with the DC-3H which is definitely a significant improvement.

Screenshot_20230523-071636.png

1668588596dc-3h_powersupply_view2.jpg

What is still inexcusable is the amount of money they want for a replacement DC-3H - Fifty quid over here for something that should be sub a tenner.

Fortunately, there are much cheaper alternatives!

It's a great idea. But one which I don't have the skills to do. Ugh. Fender power supply hit that Kohl's return counter and I grabbed a 6 outlet $20 power strip. Crisis averted! Need to grab a second one spot for backup and will call it good. Well for 5 minutes at least.
FWIW, I powered an HX Stomp, a 3 button Atomic Amplifire and numerous pedals with a Strymon Zuma for years. Never had a problem with lack of "juice".

Design a great unit but let's screw everyone up with the most ill-designed power supply on the planet that fits no power bar.

Don't forget the second rule: "Let's also use a 2.5mm coaxial connector so *no* common PSU/cable will be able to power your Stomp up without additional adaptor hassle!"

Don't forget the second rule: "Let's also use a 2.5mm coaxial connector so *no* common PSU/cable will be able to power your Stomp up without additional adaptor hassle!"

I’m not sure where they source them from, but the Sweetfoot ones I linked ship with cables that are HX size on one end and normal Boss size on the other so you don’t need an adapter. So it must be possible to buy these somewhere

The original DC-3G was an inexcusable POS, but they've since replaced these with the DC-3H which is definitely a significant improvement.

View attachment 7526

View attachment 7527

What is still inexcusable is the amount of money they want for a replacement DC-3H - Fifty quid over here for something that should be sub a tenner.

Fortunately, there are much cheaper alternatives!
$60 for one of these on Amazon?!?!?!?!? Jesus Christ! :brick:brick:brick:brick:wat:rofl

I’m not sure where they source them from, but the Sweetfoot ones I linked ship with cables that are HX size on one end and normal Boss size on the other so you don’t need an adapter. So it must be possible to buy these somewhere
Amazon has all kinds of adaptors like this (usually intended for mixing and matching laptop PSUs), but between male vs. female sizing and polarity, I never know exactly what I need. It's basically a process of "buy everything, spend a couple of nights of trial and error finding the right part, hide the rest in your 'everything drawer' so you won't feel ashamed of the waste." (Caveat emptor: I'm often amazed at just how many variations of this part exist that don't fit.)

(For HX Stomp specifically, the cable I needed came with my BoxKing battery, which has been powering it ever since.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JT
Honestly; a couple of power extender cables from the head to the board would work too. I'd need the oddball for the Stomp and one for the GR and one for whatever dirt pedal landed on my board on a given day.

Amazon has all kinds of adaptors like this (usually intended for mixing and matching laptop PSUs), but between male vs. female sizing and polarity, I never know exactly what I need. It's basically a process of "buy everything, spend a couple of nights of trial and error finding the right part, hide the rest in your 'everything drawer' so you won't feel ashamed of the waste." (Caveat emptor: I'm often amazed at just how many variations of this part exist that don't fit.)

(For HX Stomp specifically, the cable I needed came with my BoxKing battery, which has been powering it ever since.)

Yeah, I never know either. That’s why I was so glad that power supply came with a couple cables that didn’t need adapters. I still keep those around just in case

For discussion sake, the Stomp power supply is an easy, and cheap fix. I either use a One-Spot with an adapter, (fits great in tight power strips), or an Amazon-bought $17.00 adapter that has a two prong plug that looks like your kitchen appliance plug.

Hell, I even bought an IEC adapter, to use with my snake that has an IEC power line, and goes from front to backline:

51BTcHRTmwL.jpg

For discussion sake, the Stomp power supply is an easy, and cheap fix. I either use a One-Spot with an adapter, (fits great in tight power strips), or an Amazon-bought $17.00 adapter that has a two prong plug that looks like your kitchen appliance plug.

Hell, I even bought an IEC adapter, to use with my snake that has an IEC power line, and goes from front to backline:

51BTcHRTmwL.jpg
Oooooh! I need at least 10 of those for my everything drawer. :D Seriously, that is a very cool dongle. (And I'm a certified dongle expert lol.)

Oooooh! I need at least 10 of those for my everything drawer. :D Seriously, that is a very cool dongle. (And I'm a certified dongle expert lol.)
I am the king of "problem solvers" :rofl

I have all kinds of cables, adapters, and knick-knacks from previous "problems" I just had to solve, lol. The best is when you have the item you need, "in stock", because you bought it previously :LOL:

Sure, you can buy PSUs with 2.5mm coaxial plugs. But if there ever was a standard in 9V pedal land, it's got to be 2.1mm coax plugs.

Back