Let’s not go too crazy

They didn’t do anything new or innovative with plugins that wasn’t already being done by several other companies. They didn’t redefine amp sim plugins or open up any new markets.

Their plugins became popular because they were well designed/implemented and sound great
Good presets and paint a pretty picture goes a long way.

IMO Neural caught on and did really well because they sounded great right out of the gate with minimal tweaking. The interface and design helps quite a bit for sure, but you aren't having to go on an IR safari or adding a ton of blocks and fussing with EQ to get a really good sound.

When I was recording for the Do Something challenge earlier this year, and I hit a wall screwing around with Helix Native or the Axe FX 3, I would drop into the Neural plugins like Plini or Soldano and get a really good tone right away and get back to writing and recording parts.

That's why I have half a dozen of their plugins, they work really well right away.

Now there's also the part of my brain that says "I should be able to get all those tones with Helix Native" and then I do the dumb OCD comparison bit. And yeah I can get some great tones that are really close or different or whatever. But that's more of an effort on my end.

And of course I'm really annoyed I can't mix and match all the plugins in one unified space. That would be killer.

They didn’t do anything new or innovative with plugins that wasn’t already being done by several other companies. They didn’t redefine amp sim plugins or open up any new markets.
I don’t want to seem like I’m siding with them because I have no allegiance or anything, but there was no one doing machine learned amp sims with all the knobs and modes, and there still isn’t really anything quite up to speed with how they package their stuff (as in NAM or ToneX).

All their products are either officially licenced, or affiliated with an artist. Not saying every part of it is groundbreaking but all those small pieces add up to what made them blow up really quick.

You could do this in your DAW I think?

Yes but you'd have to run a bunch of instances of the plugin to get where you want to go, which is annoying and possibly wasting resources.

For example, I like the Soldano amp but not the cab. I like the Plini cab, so could run Soldano into Plini. I like the Petrucci stereo chorus so would run that afterwards. But then I want the Plini reverb so I have to run another instance of that. You end up chaining four different plugins together.

Would make WAY more sense to just have one big plugin that you can add on the additional amps/cabs/effects as expansions.

Also, you can't run standalone mode with multiple plugins.

All their products are either officially licenced, or affiliated with an artist. Not saying every part of it is groundbreaking but all those small pieces add up to what made them blow up really quick.

Yeah, but we've had that before. IK Multimedia, for example, has an official Soldano model on Amplitube since ~2021, if i recall correctly.

Not trying to take anything from NDSP here, mind you. The difference between "it's been done before" and "huge success" comes down to details, and they've aced those.

I own three plugins from them, none of them have yet Apple Silicon support, I like their plugins but won't be buying from them until they update the ones I already own:

Soldano SLO-100 - Last Update Release version 1.0.0 - Mar 18, 2021
Archetype: Gojira - Last Update Release Version 1.0.0 - Jan 14, 2021
Parallax 2.0.1 - Last Update Apr 16, 2021

Agreed.

The main criticism I can give the NDSP plugins is that there is no "suite" option that would let you bundle all your plugins together to use as one. Sure, you can load them in a DAW or VST host but that's definitely not the same as "one thing to control them" type deal like you have in e.g Amplitube 5 or how something like Helix Native works as one software.
Thats exactly it...We're supposed to praise yet another "item mall" video game micro transaction company who continually makes multiple incompatible one off amp plus a few pedals plugins that can't be internally combined? It makes sense when audio assault does it for 5-10 dollars, but its silly at this point that they have all these separate things, its just a sad cash grab reskin.

Amplitube, Helix, Overloud all give you an environment and when new things come in, they get added to that same environment.

I was never all that impressed by Neural's models being any better than anyone else's. I remember when all the shills were pushing Fortin Nameless, and I just wasn't really seeing the difference from the other plugs out there

I don’t want to seem like I’m siding with them because I have no allegiance or anything, but there was no one doing machine learned amp sims with all the knobs and modes, and there still isn’t really anything quite up to speed with how they package their stuff (as in NAM or ToneX).

They weren’t the first or the only company to do any of those things.

I’m not siding against them, just saying I don’t see anything they did that “redefined” amp sim plugins as you said.

They didn’t do anything particularly innovative that wasn’t already being done in the plug-in market. They just did it well in a very marketable package

Yeah, but we've had that before. IK Multimedia, for example, has an official Soldano model on Amplitube since ~2021, if i recall correctly.

Not trying to take anything from NDSP here, mind you. The difference between "it's been done before" and "huge success" comes down to details, and they've aced those.

Way before that. It was around back when I was using a laptop rig and I think that was 2016 or so? Also official licensed Fender, Orange, Mesa, Ampeg, Fulltone, T Rex, and more

I usually joke about NDSP building their business on excellent presets... but there's probably more truth to that than most people would like to admit. I'm pretty sure a large number of users never venture past these.

And I’m not sure why that would surprise anyone. I think for those of us that like to dive deep into the weeds it may seem strange, but the average dude probably just wants to play guitar, so finding a usable tone quick and moving on is a good thing. Most of the presets I have with their plugs are just factory presets that I’ve made slight adjustments to over time. In that respect Neural deserves some credit imo.

+1

I noticed f.ex. effects seem to be the exact same across their plugin suites/archetypes. The fact that you cannot mix-and-match features across them bothers me a bit - you do end up paying multiple times for the same thing.

I think they look at a suite as counter to their interests in selling more plugs. They have created these silos with plugs where they can entice users to buy new ones for things like effects and features, not just amp tones. In fact I’d say that’s been one of their more common moves of late. Once you have everything in one suite it becomes hard(er) to create more unique offerings.

A suite type product would help put them all together but the current plugins are unlikely to be built to support that. I fully expect a lot of the NDSP effects are just reskinned to look different in different plugins, maybe with some minor tweaks.

I have no doubt they are just reskinning amps and effects not only from other plugs but from the QC. I think it’s pretty obvious considering how they’ve used plugins as they gateway to the QC for things like the JP2C and upcoming Kraken. They are using both buckets strategically to generate $ by whatever means necessary. (They exist to make money, so you can’t blame them, as long as they don’t go past the point where it feels too slimy and starts pushing people away)

Last edited:
7mp2qh.jpg

The humor of course is they made a big deal a couple months ago about refocusing their dev efforts to porting the plugs to the QC and offering native support to the old ones, and that they would pause developing new offerings…

Which we now know they said while in the process of developing a new plug-in. :ROFLMAO:

They did update my beloved Cali plug-in last week so there is that. #progress

I’m thinking maybe Revv generator

Nah, the feet don't match. It's definitely a Marshall of some sort.

There's a new S o o N e R :cautious: teaser image out, with a cable plugged in. Based on the position, i'm thinking JCM 800 2210 or similar.

They weren’t the first or the only company to do any of those things.

I’m not siding against them, just saying I don’t see anything they did that “redefined” amp sim plugins as you said.

They didn’t do anything particularly innovative that wasn’t already being done in the plug-in market. They just did it well in a very marketable package
That’s not what I’m saying though - every single one of Neural’s plugins is either officially licensed or a signature series. Other brands have had the odd official tie in, with a bunch of unofficial models. It ultimately all comes down to how they can market their products, and that’s just one small factor, but they definitely changed the marketplace for amp sim plugins. Was anyone else selling boatloads of amp sim plugins with all the hype and hysteria and fanboi-ism like that before?

The cable is not in the 2203/Jubilee location, maybe a JVM410H?

Dave Mustaine uses a Marshall JVM410H.

Last edited:
Back