Why do they have to attach their plugins to an artist or brand at all?
I understand it inflates the perceived value out of nothing, it's just pixels on the screen, still, can't they release something that has more actual value with all the standard tube amps everyone uses for recording in one plugin without the cash grab?
Talking about Plexi, 2204, Twin, Deluxe, AC30, Rectifier, IIC+,SLO100, 5150 and a few Boost pedals in one useful plugin.

Last edited:
Talking about Plexi, 2204, Twin, Deluxe, AC30, Rectifier, IIC+, 5150 and a few Boost pedals in one useful plugin
Think it’s as simple as marketing, and how much they can charge for that.

There’s countless plugins with a suite of (roughly) those amps. Softube Amp Room has been on sale a couple of times for $39 and no one really bats an eye at it. I think Neural doing a plugin like that would just blow their load in one and devalue their existing line.

I’d be all over an all-in-one plugin like L6 have done with Helix, from Fractal or Neural (or anyone else who can do the most accurate sounding models). Neural bit off more than they can chew with the QC, I think they’re probably better off just sticking to what’s tried and tested for them.

That's bullshit, that's what it is.
It is, but thats just the plugin world in general. There's been a race to the bottom with prices, a massive abundance of choice (and general redundancy with the same stuff modelled over and over). The big companies like TC/Lexicon don't really exist in the same way and can't plough vast sums of money into R&D or get away with selling their products for prices like they used to.

There are genuinely innovative newer (well they've been around a while now) companies like Fabfilter and Izotope - neither of which are particularly cheap, and in the case of izotope especially have their own BS to deal with. Most companies making plugins are quite small and have to think of different ways to stand out and sell their product. There's so many "artist" series plugins being released these days that its almost pointless mentioning it as an innovative way of doing anything. But if stuff sells then we see more of it.

I understand it inflates the perceived value out of nothing, it's just pixels on the screen, still, can't they release something that has more actual value with all the standard tube amps everyone uses for recording in one plugin without the cash grab?
Talking about Plexi, 2204, Twin, Deluxe, AC30, Rectifier, IIC+,SLO100, 5150 and a few Boost pedals in one useful plugin.
If they did that, it could kill their future sales and accounts receivables projections which they are probably using to bring in more investors. Like selling drugs, "The money is in the comeback..." I said one time at the other place that this company acts like they have financial issues and I got lambasted by a few fanbois, but even though they put out a good product, their business and financial practices seem to be a $hitshow from an outsider looking in.

There would still be a certain % that would buy it so they can go on The Other Place, claim how superior they are with their new plugin and get their daily reassurance fix. Many others would probably think, well I have everything I need now with their "Everything Plugin" you described so I may or may not pick it up later down the road for pennies on the dollar.

Won't name names, but there's a bunch of comments egging on Morello for daring to make a living out of the music industry, given RATMs politics and messaging.
Of course he should make a living, and is welcome to having a worldview. Same as an animal rights activist or someone working at a meat packing plant. The question becomes what happens when the animal rights activist works at the meat packing plant?

Of course he should make a living, and is welcome to having a worldview. Same as an animal rights activist or someone working at a meat packing plant. The question becomes what happens when the animal rights activist works at the meat packing plant?

Hahaha my ex-wife was an animal rights activist for several years, can’t say I ever met one who worked in a meat packing plant, but I did know a bunch that turned to activism as a result of working in them. That’s precisely how I ended up, literally, seeing how the sausage was made in a few different states. Do not recommend.

If they brought out an Archetype: Slipknot or Archetype: Limp Bizkit it would sell like hotcakes (insanely more than Morello).

I wouldnt have a problem if they went this route for at least a sweeping genre of music like Archetype: Skate Punk where they had at least a Marshall/Mesa/Fender and you'd get a bunch of pennywise/blink/unwritten law/offspring/nofx etc etc tones under the hood using all those methods. The same for Nu Metal... chuck a bunch of Limp Bizkit/Slipknot/Korn/POD tones on there and its a worthy sim just for the wider branding. Having it one artist by one artist is a big call for the price they're charging.

And to circle back even if I have 10 different mesa sims, if they did a skate punk one where it was all relatively dialed in, looked cool, had the right IR's etc etc... I'd still buy it. I'm a die hard Offspring fan and even if they brought out Archetype: Offspring it would still be a tough pill to swallow for 120 Euro (I probably wouldnt buy it).

BUT..... if I didnt have the mammoth amount of gear here and I was just cruising plugins in the early phases of recording and I saw something like Archetype: Offspring I'd probably pick it up. There's so many customer situations it can work but yeah... widen the goal posts at least Neural.

This is why I haven't bought any of their plugins. I don't care whose name is on it. I care what it has inside, and the idea of filling up my computer with a bunch of a-la-carte plugins that have a bunch of overlap has zero appeal to me.

I get it though -- some people just want presets that sound good and this is what they pay for. I'm the type who wants accurate models that are like the real gear, so that I can tinker with it the same way I would with real gear. I don't care if I sound like 1,000 other people who all bought the same plugin and use the same presets!

Back