Friedman IR-X midi problems

I recently got the IR-X and love the tone! however I'm having trouble with the midi. I'm using a A Fractal Ax8 to switch chanels on the Friedman via midi
and cant seem to figure it out, anyone here familiar with this type of situation? Thanks

So I guess the knobs are just analog rather than digitally controlled ala Strymon etc? So the editor software cannot change them.

Defenitely. Anything represented by a knob on the unit can't be programmed through software. I looked that up specifically before because for me, if it was different, that'd instantly make me lose my interest - seriously, one of the reasons this pedal checks so many boxes for me is that I explictely want WYSIWYG.

Defenitely. Anything represented by a knob on the unit can't be programmed through software. I looked that up specifically before because for me, if it was different, that'd instantly make me lose my interest - seriously, one of the reasons this pedal checks so many boxes for me is that I explictely want WYSIWYG.
For me it's the opposite - being able to save and recall presets with knob positions on a pedal like this would be big.

So from me not much interest in the IRX because I feel the poweramp sim and IR loader is quite barebones and a tube preamp can be very well emulated digitally or via analog solid-state.

For me it's the opposite - being able to save and recall presets with knob positions on a pedal like this would be big.

So from me not much interest in the IRX because I feel the poweramp sim and IR loader is quite barebones and a tube preamp can be very well emulated digitally or via analog solid-state.

I actually don't mind programmability. But only a) as long as it's not sacrificing the number of exposed encoders (which is happening on pretty much all devices, "hey, you can select all others quickly by scrolling around!" - yeah, right, quickly...), so I could still stick to WYSYWIG should I feel like, and b) as long as there's proper endless encoders with proper readouts. I hate not being able to see whatever settings at a glance and I hate parameter jumps even more. Both inevitable with standard 270° encoders.

I actually don't mind programmability. But only a) as long as it's not sacrificing the number of exposed encoders (which is happening on pretty much all devices, "hey, you can select all others quickly by scrolling around!" - yeah, right, quickly...), so I could still stick to WYSYWIG should I feel like, and b) as long as there's proper endless encoders with proper readouts. I hate not being able to see whatever settings at a glance and I hate parameter jumps even more. Both inevitable with standard 270° encoders.
Yes, not seeing preset settings sucks in pedals designed around standard encoders, but I think it's still more valuable than not having that option at all.

Number of knobs is usually decided by enclosure size and what fits within those limitations. IRX is about the same size as a Strymon Volante and has only a few more knobs.

Number of knobs is usually decided by enclosure size and what fits within those limitations.

Hm, not really, I'd say. For instance, the big Headrush is huge - and yet there's just 3 encoders to adjust values. Heck, if they wanted, L6 could even add 2-3 more encoders to the Stomp (and several more to the Floor/LT). I have my Stomp sitting next to my Amplifirebox. The AFB is smaller, and yet, it fits one more encoder than the stomp Oh, I hear you: but what about the screen?
Stomp_vs_AFB.jpg.jpg

That wouldn't be any tighter than on the Stomp. And very likely, it'd even be easier to see the screen while dialing things in than with the current implementation.
My hand is roughly angled the same over both units here:
screenvisibility.jpg

No way to see anything on the Stomp, you really need to twist your hand in a super awkward fashion all the times, which is one of the main reasons on-unit-editing is truly annoying on the Stomp - unless you have it on a desktop stand as, say, John Cordy. It's getting better once you place your head straight over the Stomp, but nobody would ever naturally do that (it's just not too great of an idea to fall over your pedal board losing balance, just because you want to see the screen of your modeler).

Sorry for the OT blurb.
Anyway, the great IR-X onboard controls are one of the most appealing things to me.

Back