Fractal Seamless Switching Update

Roadie
Gear Pro
Cliff with the mic drop :ROFLMAO:

Quick hit with the new fw here

Goddamn man, this is something I always kinda thought would get slow increment improvements between Scenes and/or Channels, never thought I’d see a “Woosh! Have it all seemless, mawfuckas!”

I’m anxious to try it out, even though I’m not gigging right now, this could go a long way in assisting me with going for full takes when tracking as I won’t have to worry about a gap in the audio if I change a preset/scene.

SWEET!!!!!!

I’ll wait and see how this plays out. If it’s truly gapless with no meaningful caveats, after many happy years in Helix land I might be headed back to Fractal land…

D

Last edited:
Well, on second thought, maybe not because I’d have to give up my snapshots. Dammit!

D

Gapless switching was one thing that led me to leave Fractal for Kemper a while ago. When the AxeFX was updated to have channel switching in the amp block basically gapless it was huge for me.

If I can have songs/set lists with gapless switching that will be the ultimate game changer. It puts the AxeFX closer than anything out there to my ideal live rig concept

Scenes and channels can do anything snapshots can do plus lots more.

Yes and no, I think. Here’s the thing that has me addicted to snapshots that I don’t think I can really get with scenes and channels. I have one preset that I use for 90% of gigs and songs. I make as many copies of that preset as there are songs for the gig. I name the preset for the song, set the tempo, the template has all the snapshots identical. Snapshot 1 is the intro, I turn effects on and off, tweaks mixes, level, eq (on occasion) for the part I’m playing there then switch to the snapshot I’ll need for the next part of the song where my tone changes and repeat the exercise. I can automate the switching for a full gig and have the tones dialed in exactly for the parts within 45-90 minutes depending on the gig. The speed and ease of getting that done is what I’m hooked on. Maybe I misunderstand the scene implementation but based on how I read it in the past it didn’t seem like I’d be able to achieve the same thing.

But on third thought….. if the preset switching is really gapless… who cares about snapshots I can just make a preset for each part instead of a scene or snapshot…

Surely there has to be some catches to this gapless thing though right? Is everything really gapless no matter how big or complex the patches are? If the layout of the grid changes or the blocks used change does it introduce a gap? There are probably some things I can work around here I just want to know where I may encounter gaps in certain situations.

D

Scenes and channels can do anything snapshots can do plus lots more.

First off, great job on getting this done. What a way to squeeze the max juice from that chip architecture.

Not to put the full-court press on you, but I notice you haven't said anything to multiple questions about FM9/FM3. Is this a TBD item or a "no-go" for the lower tiers of product?

First off, great job on getting this done. What a way to squeeze the max juice from that chip architecture.

Not to put the full-court press on you, but I notice you haven't said anything to multiple questions about FM9/FM3. Is this a TBD item or a "no-go" for the lower tiers of product?
We hope to implement it on the other products. I don't see why we wouldn't be able to but I don't want to promise anything in case there are unforeseen issues.

Cliff with the mic drop :ROFLMAO:

Quick hit with the new fw here

I don’t know if it will happen but if they get this to the FM3 man that will be a game changer

Damn. I was thinking automatically that this would apply to the fm9, but that isn’t true necessarily…

D

It lasted zero days, since there are already units out there that have gapless switching.

Of course! I only meant in comparison against the Axe-FX (which is in a different class anyway, so whatever!), but Fender seemed to be pushing the gapless message ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back