Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

FedEx is holding my Pink Taco hostage.
Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Hello - I gig (classic rock cover band) with a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb along with a pedalboard of mostly Wampler overdrive pedals. I use a bit of reverb from the amp and some delay on some solos. I'm wondering if the VP4 would be a suitable replace of my current pedalboard? Meaning - are the drive pedals on the VP4 good enough to justify the switch? From the demos I've seen, most of them concentrate on modulation and ambient stuff. At least initially, I'm less interested in that and more interested in the drive sounds of the VP4.

Appreciate any input.
Pretz

If there’s any specific drives in there you want to hear, let me know and I’ll make up a quick demo for ya.

I spent a good amount of time with the drives this past weekend, I’ve generally only used them as boosts previously but wanted to see how I could make out using a single-channel amp and just stacking drives to get different tones. One thing I noticed after about 20 minutes was just going from one drive to the next without any real goal, things can sound a bit same-y, but once there’s a goal or target tone in mind, it somehow makes it a bit easier to distinguish the differences between them.

If there’s any specific drives in there you want to hear, let me know and I’ll make up a quick demo for ya.

I spent a good amount of time with the drives this past weekend, I’ve generally only used them as boosts previously but wanted to see how I could make out using a single-channel amp and just stacking drives to get different tones. One thing I noticed after about 20 minutes was just going from one drive to the next without any real goal, things can sound a bit same-y, but once there’s a goal or target tone in mind, it somehow makes it a bit easier to distinguish the differences between them.
I must've missed you getting one. Cool. Congrats!

Quick demo of the block library

It's a shame the blocks library is not supported on device.

I'd love to see Fractal add at least the ability to set the defaults for each effects type, so you can get one favorite sound by just dropping in a block whether you do it on VP4-Edit or using onboard UI.

This could be something like "Set current settings/this saved favorite as the default" type feature only available from VP4-Edit that then just reprograms the default on the unit.

I guess you could get around this by building essentially a template preset where you have set your favorite settings on every block, then remove those blocks, save template, and copy/paste that "empty" template preset to every slot on the VP4. Unless it discards settings for blocks that are not assigned.

It’s easier to stomach with the AxeFx and FM’s because you expect Edit to be your primary interface for the devices most of the time.

With the VP4 it’s the exact opposite. You have little expectation or desire to connect it to the Editor, (Due to it being a pedal, and the improved UI) which makes the lack of Type-specifc-favorites a much bigger inconvenience.

Type defaults would definitely help, and should be a thing already, but there should also be type favorites on-device.

It’s easier to stomach with the AxeFx and FM’s because you expect Edit to be your primary interface for the devices most of the time.

With the VP4 it’s the exact opposite. You have little expectation or desire to connect it to the Editor, (Due to it being a pedal, and the improved UI) which makes the lack of Type-specifc-favorites a much bigger inconvenience.

Type defaults would definitely help, and should be a thing already, but there should also be type favorites on-device.
Yeah even if it's something limited on device, like let's say 4 favorites per block, that would be enough for most.

Can any VP4 owner test if my idea works tho?
  1. Set e.g a delay block to your favorite settings on all channels.
  2. Remove the delay block.
  3. Save the preset.
  4. Copy the preset to another slot.
  5. Load new preset by going to another one and then back to this new preset.
  6. Then try adding the delay.
Do your favorite settings show up or does it go back to defaults?

Yeah even if it's something limited on device, like let's say 4 favorites per block, that would be enough for most.

Can any VP4 owner test if my idea works tho?
  1. Set e.g a delay block to your favorite settings on all channels.
  2. Remove the delay block.
  3. Save the preset.
  4. Copy the preset to another slot.
  5. Load new preset by going to another one and then back to this new preset.
  6. Then try adding the delay.
Do your favorite settings show up or does it go back to defaults?
Clever question

I'd love to see Fractal add at least the ability to set the defaults for each effects type, so you can get one favorite sound by just dropping in a block whether you do it on VP4-Edit or using onboard UI.

This could be something like "Set current settings/this saved favorite as the default" type feature only available from VP4-Edit that then just reprograms the default on the unit.

I guess you could get around this by building essentially a template preset where you have set your favorite settings on every block, then remove those blocks, save template, and copy/paste that "empty" template preset to every slot on the VP4. Unless it discards settings for blocks that are not assigned.

Meh. I think not having it adds to the “I’m just plugging in some pedals” experience.

I’m not a fractal power user, though. But it seems the VP4 is mostly not aimed at those, anyway.

Meh. I think not having it adds to the “I’m just plugging in some pedals” experience.

I’m not a fractal power user, though. But it seems the VP4 is mostly not aimed at those, anyway.

I’ve yet to have my SD1 pedal not “default” to the knob positions I have configured on it physically. ;)

There is no adding to the experience here. It’s a much more glaring issue on the VP4 because there is a general expectation that you’ll do much more (if not all) your building and tweaking on-device.

The learning curve was super quick and I'm editing like a pro on this already. I love that so much is available on the screen without having to use the app. I've already got 3 patches ready to go, I just need to deep dive the MIDI options to see how to send PC changes on scene change and I'll be right where I want to be with it.
20241023_073405.jpg

The learning curve was super quick and I'm editing like a pro on this already. I love that so much is available on the screen without having to use the app. I've already got 3 patches ready to go, I just need to deep dive the MIDI options to see how to send PC changes on scene change and I'll be right where I want to be with it. View attachment 31589

And wow is it a good-looking device! :love

Back