Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

I think some of it is really just boredom. Speaking for myself as well as everyone else.

homer simpson episode 22 GIF

I think it's also due to people misunderstanding how digital tech works and thinking features and such can be easily added and/or changed because it's 'just code'.

The answer to 'why can't I get amps on my virtual pedalboard' might be quite complex. It also might be simple, but not easy or even possible to overcome.

I think the aspect of ‘create your own adventure’ with modeling, along with an ‘unproven track record’ in the context of historical gear, plays in heavily with the modeling battleground.

IE- Someone buys a JCM800 and it’s cheers all around. Sure, some people don’t dig 800’s, but they do what they do and there’s no questions about a JCM800 not being able to handle a job it’s given.

Then you get into modeling and the floor is opened up to “Well, is the JCM800 modeled as well as it possibly can be? I tried _____ before and their DRRI model sucked so their 800 model probably does, too”, “Oh their 800 model is so good, unfortunately you have to be an engineer to make it sound good”….and the plethora of other things modeling introduces because you’re not just plugging into an actual 800.

Then the price of things where people use all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify/speak down to others regarding their purchasing decisions.

Then ya add in some previous experiences with certain brands; one guy gets a Fractal unit and can’t spend 10 minutes figuring out how the jog wheel works and when it doesn’t work the way he thought it should, he becomes a Camp Survivor and every post he makes after for the next 5 years is how Fractal is too complicated and everyone who owns a Fractal just likes believing they’re superior.

Then you get the people that actually DO believe they’re superior because of the modeler they picked, despite the fact they have absolutely zero music they’ve made with it posted anywhere or a single shred of evidence they even play guitar.

It’s a fun world out there.
To be fair; I have my own Camp. I just picked up my tent and pitched it here instead :rofl

I think the aspect of ‘create your own adventure’ with modeling, along with an ‘unproven track record’ in the context of historical gear, plays in heavily with the modeling battleground.

IE- Someone buys a JCM800 and it’s cheers all around. Sure, some people don’t dig 800’s, but they do what they do and there’s no questions about a JCM800 not being able to handle a job it’s given.
:unsure: I had a 900. I liked it...
Then you get into modeling and the floor is opened up to “Well, is the JCM800 modeled as well as it possibly can be? I tried _____ before and their DRRI model sucked so their 800 model probably does, too”, “Oh their 800 model is so good, unfortunately you have to be an engineer to make it sound good”….and the plethora of other things modeling introduces because you’re not just plugging into an actual 800.
Nope
Then the price of things where people use all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify/speak down to others regarding their purchasing decisions.
Nope
Then ya add in some previous experiences with certain brands; one guy gets a Fractal unit and can’t spend 10 minutes figuring out how the jog wheel works and when it doesn’t work the way he thought it should, he becomes a Camp Survivor and every post he makes after for the next 5 years is how Fractal is too complicated and everyone who owns a Fractal just likes believing they’re superior.
Never
Then you get the people that actually DO believe they’re superior because of the modeler they picked, despite the fact they have absolutely zero music they’ve made with it posted anywhere or a single shred of evidence they even play guitar.
I guess that must be me then...., partly. Are there any other choices? :unsure:
It’s a fun world out there.

Meanwhile, I'm giving myself a headache trying to plan out how I'm going to route everything. I want to do 4cm between the VP4 and IR-J, but also need to have the GM-800 in there and I'm running everything out to the FX return of my DSL40CR. Trying to figure out if there's a way to cut the guitar completely out of the mix when using the GM-800 without having to buy an ABY switcher or something. I kind need to have the VP4 in hand to really get this figured out.

Meanwhile, I'm giving myself a headache trying to plan out how I'm going to route everything. I want to do 4cm between the VP4 and IR-J, but also need to have the GM-800 in there and I'm running everything out to the FX return of my DSL40CR. Trying to figure out if there's a way to cut the guitar completely out of the mix when using the GM-800 without having to buy an ABY switcher or something. I kind need to have the VP4 in hand to really get this figured out.
Apologies. I haven't torn apart my board to test this out yet. It's kind of why I am thinking about using the FM as my audio mixer. We are gigging so much that trying to do anything with my board (as far as blowing it up goes) is time I don't have in front of it unfortunately.

Apologies. I haven't torn apart my board to test this out yet. It's kind of why I am thinking about using the FM as my audio mixer. We are gigging so much that trying to do anything with my board (as far as blowing it up goes) is time I don't have in front of it unfortunately.
No need to apologize. I really want to keep the FM(s) out of the equation if I can, since this is supposed to be my "B rig". If nothing else, I'm sure an ABY switch would work.

Here goes....

I have replaced pretty much all my analog components with digital then found out I want the analog stuff back. I can live with digital effects in the loop because you know why but tubes and guitar speakers and with the IR-D a "lower gain" tube preamp combined with the :chef VP FXis completing that circle again for me. Whether or not it makes a difference to the "audience(?)" or myself :bag

it's the circle of gear, the delicate balance between sound and convenience.

Few years back my rig was full analog and I avoided any digital pedal that hadn't an analog path.
I swear to Odin I wanted to keep my signal analog with no compromise.

And you know why?
Because I had the opportunity to do that with ease. My band had a private space with easy access where I left my amp and 4x12, had to move back and forth from home only my heavy pedal board.
I used to go to band rehearsal with 2 guitars at the time, go figure!

Then things changed, needs changed and decided to move (go back actually) to modelling.

3 years ago things changed again, moved to a different city, different house, different band and I'm back to amps (because you know...tubes) but kept the all in one solution the helix floor provide because is actually awesome for my current needs.

In the future, with the right band and logistics, I can see myself going back to a traditional a pedalboard with a looper/switcher, few pedals and a VP4. it would be fun go back to that type of rig.

This pisses me off about people more than it should tbh.

Back