Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

I've never owned a fractal product and I already have an HX stomp and this is the most appealing Fractal product I've ever seen, especially at the price point. There's a chance it might even eventually become the first fractal product I pull the trigger on.

Not everyone is into modelling and fractal fx are -really- good... and the fact that price wise it's coming in cheaper than an Eventide H90 and offers a whole lot more makes it pretty compelling
It needs to be viewed from an amp player POV who wants some KILLLLLLLLLLER FX vs. "I like modeling why doesn't it have dual amps?!?!?!?" POV.

It needs to be viewed from an amp player POV who wants some KILLLLLLLLLLER FX vs. "I like modeling why doesn't it have dual amps?!?!?!?" POV.

Episode 2 Species GIF by PBS

It's honestly with every company nowadays to one degree or another. Exacerbated by the absolute GLUT of killer products out there already where the "need" for something new is tough to justify sometimes.
I'm actually happy fractal seems to be going down the different product route than just hammering away at next gen. I know things could be improved on the current lineup but imo, I can't imagine the leap from say the axe III to IV would make much sense at this point.

However, launching products such as FX only, amp only, etc may be a good introduction to fractal

I'm actually happy fractal seems to be going down the different product route than just hammering away at next gen. I know things could be improved on the current lineup but imo, I can't imagine the leap from say the axe III to IV would make much sense at this point.

However, launching products such as FX only, amp only, etc may be a good introduction to fractal
That's how I feel. TBH I'm not terribly interested in an Axe FX 4, unless it is a real paradigm shift. I don't want a rack unit for a start, it would have to be a full powered floor unit. I wouldn't want the same user experience in terms of having to build shunts manually, and I would want a real move away from the editor application being the main way to interface with the unit to create patches.

I want less computer reliance. Not more.

Don't know what it is about this product that has caused people's critical thinking skills to go out the window, but I'm totally here for the lulz.

I made an observation about this in another thread a month or so ago. For whatever reason, the modelling forums, whether it's here or TGP or wherever, are just nutty.

Companies are making product that 10 years ago we could barely imagine sounding so good and do so many things so well. I can't understand why there's so many 'big feelings'.

The Axe stuff, as far as modeling goes; I fire it up and I sincerely don't know how you could use anything else (modeling wise) if sound is your main concern. It's that good. That's where we/the conversation tends to get in the weeds here and elsewhere.

Editing experience and onboard controls of the VP are a great improvement now. I'm honestly circling the IR-D super hard at this point and using the FM3 as a routing box for a bit :bag

I made an observation about this in another thread a month or so ago. For whatever reason, the modelling forums, whether it's here or TGP or wherever, are just nutty.

Companies are making product that 10 years ago we could barely imagine sounding so good and do so many things so well. I can't understand why there's so many 'big feelings'.
I think some of it is really just boredom. Speaking for myself as well as everyone else.

homer simpson episode 22 GIF

That's how I feel. TBH I'm not terribly interested in an Axe FX 4, unless it is a real paradigm shift. I don't want a rack unit for a start, it would have to be a full powered floor unit. I wouldn't want the same user experience in terms of having to build shunts manually, and I would want a real move away from the editor application being the main way to interface with the unit to create patches.

I want less computer reliance. Not more.
Oh, and contrasting this with how many times I've opened Cortex Control since getting the QC.

Twice.

Just twice.

Ducks Laughing GIF

The Axe stuff, as far as modeling goes; I fire it up and I sincerely don't know how you could use anything else (modeling wise) if sound is your main concern. It's that good. That's where we/the conversation tends to get in the weeds here and elsewhere.

Editing experience and onboard controls of the VP are a great improvement now. I'm honestly circling the IR-D super hard at this point and using the FM3 as a routing box for a bit :bag
When I had the IRX, while it sounded great, there wasnt anything unique I couldn't get out of a modeler so it just seemed redundant 😕 but it does add a different user experience I guess?

When I had the IRX, while it sounded great, there wasnt anything unique I couldn't get out of a modeler so it just seemed redundant 😕 but it does add a different user experience I guess?
Here goes....

I have replaced pretty much all my analog components with digital then found out I want the analog stuff back. I can live with digital effects in the loop because you know why but tubes and guitar speakers and with the IR-D a "lower gain" tube preamp combined with the :chef VP FXis completing that circle again for me. Whether or not it makes a difference to the "audience(?)" or myself :bag

I think the aspect of ‘create your own adventure’ with modeling, along with an ‘unproven track record’ in the context of historical gear, plays in heavily with the modeling battleground.

IE- Someone buys a JCM800 and it’s cheers all around. Sure, some people don’t dig 800’s, but they do what they do and there’s no questions about a JCM800 not being able to handle a job it’s given.

Then you get into modeling and the floor is opened up to “Well, is the JCM800 modeled as well as it possibly can be? I tried _____ before and their DRRI model sucked so their 800 model probably does, too”, “Oh their 800 model is so good, unfortunately you have to be an engineer to make it sound good”….and the plethora of other things modeling introduces because you’re not just plugging into an actual 800.

Then the price of things where people use all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify/speak down to others regarding their purchasing decisions.

Then ya add in some previous experiences with certain brands; one guy gets a Fractal unit and can’t spend 10 minutes figuring out how the jog wheel works and when it doesn’t work the way he thought it should, he becomes a Camp Survivor and every post he makes after for the next 5 years is how Fractal is too complicated and everyone who owns a Fractal just likes believing they’re superior.

Then you get the people that actually DO believe they’re superior because of the modeler they picked, despite the fact they have absolutely zero music they’ve made with it posted anywhere or a single shred of evidence they even play guitar.

It’s a fun world out there.

Back