Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

Picked up some salami.

Oh yeah, and a FedEx delivery.

:pickle :pickle :pickle

IMG_7162.jpeg

Kin hell.... it has literally just dawned on me...

FM3:
- Clean
- Crunch
- Overdrive

VP4:
- Drive
- Delay
- Delay
- Verb

You could literally have 7 footswitches right there at your feet, and do a bit of mild tap dancing.... for not very much floor real estate at all, and stick that in a bag for fly dates.
It’s tempting but if I understood well, it’s not possible to do 4cm stereo with the fm3 and vp4. Unless I’m totally wrong.

I thought you could have pre/post per effects.
That would have been great for example to have the comp pitch (that’s a cpu eater) pre and and reverb post on the same preset.

It’s tempting but if I understood well, it’s not possible to do 4cm stereo with the fm3 and vp4. Unless I’m totally wrong.

I thought you could have pre/post per effects.
That would have been great for example to have the comp pitch (that’s a cpu eater) pre and and reverb post on the same preset.
I think @Orvillain uses wet effects into amp gain to make the balls swell.
Guessing he'd use VP4 into FM3 in that setup.

NPD - Looks great! How do you like it so far?

I’ve played it for a total of 30 minutes. (Life is an inconvenience sometimes)

Running it mono in, stereo out, to the Jazz Chorus 120. Ran through a handful of presets and kinda home brewed one. Verbs and delays on point. :chef

My main test drive was just to see if anything got lost in translation to the form factor, since I have run the AxeFx through amps before, and everything sounded excellent out of the box. Mojo present.

Always a wow factor running the JC with the on-board chorus engaged, and stereo delays cooking or the stratocumulous/plex stack.

Last edited:
I think @Orvillain uses wet effects into amp gain to make the balls swell.
Guessing he'd use VP4 into FM3 in that setup.
Yeah that's it for me, basically. Everything usually/mostly up front. Sometimes I do like a delay after the gain stages or the preamp distortion, but usually straight in front. I like to manage how washed out something is by getting my mix and feedback/decay/sustain levels low enough to where when I'm playing notes, you can get a sense of the effect, and when I stop playing notes, the effects swell up to fill the gaps. Works really really well.

Is the fm3 underpowered that it needs a vp4 for your needs or is it just about footswitches? Couldn’t you just get a small 4 switch midi controller to add on. I never ran out of blocks on the fm3 but I never had kitchen sink presets so not sure where it maxes out in that department.
Depends on what you are using

I’m rebuilding my presets and wanted to take advantages of all the possibilities of the amp and cab block. And things like room/preamp/ultrares in the cab block are awesome but are real cpu eaters. I had to delete my reverb block to stay under 80. I also use the dynamic compressor to mimic the input dynamic of the axe 3.

I got a simple comp-wha-pitch(octaver)-drive-amp-cab-chorus-delay and I’m about 75%.
And the drive is just the micro boost…

how's the UIX?

For the limited time I used it, it seems fine for the basics. I haven’t tried to build an exotic multi scene, custom FS, preset yet.

At first I was worried that you had to formally enter preset mode from scene or effect mode to scroll through presets (barring a foot switch config) and was about to panic as that would be a major pain in the ass, but then I realized that the A-B knobs are labeled and dedicated for scrolling through them from within other modes. Heartburn alleviated. :ROFLMAO:

I slapped a preset together just to get a feel for it. (Not multi scene though) Pretty easy without having to do too much thought, whereas on the Axe faceplate I feel like I’m going through a sequence checklist to make sure I’m just stirring the fuel tank and not dumping it. :roflThat’s good.

One, I’m debating whether scrolling through block types should be one-by-one on the graphical blocks (Current method) or should not just go to a text list. I think avoiding the text list keeps you in a sharper graphical screen visually, but the list view might be ultimately more efficient. (And it’s not like you’re buying FAS stuff for graphical bells and whistles anyway)

On the other hand, from within a preset, when you turn the B knob (labeled Scenes) it takes you to the Scene list, which you then have to scroll to the next scene, and hit Enter. I think I’d prefer it to just auto rotate through to the next or previous scene. (Based on the direction turned) If you want to demo all four scenes in a preset you scroll a direction, hit Enter, rinse and repeat four times. I’d rather it just rotate to the next scene when I rotate the knob. (And go to list view if I do the hold foot switch method) But I haven’t used it long enough to see if there is a more efficient way.

But like I say, for the basics thus far, all good. This is not the normal FAS trigonometry exam on the faceplate. (y)(y)

Ok yeah, beastmode engaged

IMG_5339.jpeg

Medium Spring Verb - into MegaTap (Decepticon type) - into MultiDelay (Quad Parallel Delay type) - into Plex (Plex Delay type) Mix around 20-30 percent for them all (mostly defaults) so you’re not washing out.

All you can eat buffet of badass.

Last edited:
On the other hand, from within a preset, when you turn the B knob (labeled Scenes) it takes you to the Scene list, which you then have to scroll to the next scene, and hit Enter. I think I’d prefer it to just auto rotate through to the next or previous scene. (Based on the direction turned) If you want to demo all four scenes in a preset you scroll a direction, hit Enter, rinse and repeat four times. I’d rather it just rotate to the next scene when I rotate the knob. (And go to list view if I do the hold foot switch method) But I haven’t used it long enough to see if there is a more efficient way.

Addendum. Don’t be a dummy and just hold the two leftmost FS’s down and go to Scene mode to….. demo scenes… with the FS’s…. without needing to enter list mode or hit enter. :ROFLMAO:

That said, it still might be a QOL thing for FAS to consider for the desktop warriors, when in Preset or Effect mode, maybe just have the Scene knob auto rotate to next one, rather than bring up scene list and click enter.

Also, built a dual scene preset. Pretty easy. Takes about a minute to get the reflexes of using the A-D knibs vs Select knob.

Side question for the FAS dudes, is there a button click, on-device, that you can do to have an effect parameter go back to its default value?

Addendum. Don’t be a dummy and just hold the two leftmost FS’s down and go to Scene mode to….. demo scenes… without needing to enter list mode or hit enter. :ROFLMAO:

That said, it still might be a QOL thing for FAS to consider for the desktop warriors, when in Preset or Effect mode, maybe just have the Scene knob auto rotate to next one, rather than bring up scene list and click enter.

Also, built a dual scene preset. Pretty easy. Takes about a minute to get the reflexes of using the A-D knibs vs Select knob.

Side question for the FAS dudes, is there a button click, on-device, that you can do to have an effect parameter go back to its default value?
Do you miss the shunts?

Back