Fractal Audio Systems VP4 - Virtual Pedalboard

You clearly love this HX narrative but you're missing something, imho.

TBF its a couple memes and I’m not nearly clever enough to form a narrative. :ROFLMAO:

Therefore, when a player form the everyone-else-crowd look for a floor multi FX unit compare the VP4 with the hxfx he might prefer the latter because costs less and offer more (from his needs).

It’s a $50 spread, which I think is probably functionally irrelevant for most users.

“More for their needs” almost goes without saying surely. We 100% agree here, which then means we’d probably both agree that “Why would I choose this over an HXFX” (Which is what I was trying to comment on via meme) almost becomes a rhetorical question not even worth asking or anyone answering:

Possible answers:

1. You like FAS effects?

Valid answer? We could stop here right?

2. You dislike HXFX?

Valid answer? Another opportunity to stop right?

This is kind of highlighting the general point I was trying to make, albeit calling it a “point” might be a disservice to “points”. I just really like that picture of the dude pointing at the chalkboard. :ROFLMAO:

giphy.gif

You just made Fractal's point for them. It's not competing with HXFX.

From Cliff:
"No product will ever satisfy everyone. If low price is your primary concern then the product is not for you. If having lots of simultaneous effects is your primary concern the product is not for you. If having up to four, high-quality effects from the Axe-Fx III in a small, pedal board-friendly format is what you want then this product is a compelling choice."

You can say whatever you want. Cliff is not aiming at Line6 or Boss with thVP4.

It doesn't matter who you think you're competing with.

Once a product is on the shelf is the user that decide whether the product is worth the price/meet the expectations.

I'm mostly a plugin guy now and initially thought I didn't need the VP4. Now that all the info is out, my thoughts have changed and I will definitely be buying one as soon as they are available from G66. It will sit right in front of my audio interface and take care of all the pre effects like overdrive, wah, chorus etc.
I'm really pleased that the VP4 has an SPDIF connection, so I can plug it in without any additional conversion.
@2112 Will the trick with an LFO filter to control the Wah that you showed in one of your videos also work with the VP4?

Yes, same process to set it up :)

The Fractal FX ecosystems has always been amazing, only getting better and better over the years. Its nice that this new offering is priced very competitive, compared to just a few pedals that can do 10% of what the VP4 offers its actually a steal!

From what has been said from Fractal, this unit will evolve significantly in the next few years software wise integrating things users are asking for.

Now, 4 blocks only? well let me see.... I have this pedals, Strymon VOLANTE that I love, Source Audio Ventris, Nemesis, Gemini and L.A Lady. Lets take only the SourceAudio ones because they have presets and I control them all via MIDI with the SA Neura HUB. Total cost of those 4 pedals and the NeuroHUB sums up to: $1,255.00. This pedals sound great, but the Fractal ones smokes them out of the water.

View attachment 31050
Sick board!

Another user base that the VP4 is going to tickle pink are synth users. Just add the Ursa Major verb to a basic pad and it's instantly EPIC.
Mike Keneally was carrying an entire AFIII on tour with Satriani just to run his keyboard rig through Gnome Man's Land. This'll be a huge hit with keyboard and synth players.

Hell, it'll KICK ASS with a Rhodes in to a DR for drive, chorus and a little rotary.

Do you have to use humbuster cables with this and how’s the noise floor? Hum issues and ground floor noise with Fractal stuff has given me fits over the years depending on the unit. That’s why I’ve never used the FM9 or FM3 as anything but stand alone.

Knob A changes the selected TYPE. Knob B changes the selected COLUMN. In the reverb, you can get from the start to the end with one little twist.

It's super fast : there are only six selectable items on the home page so it's just a few degrees of rotation. Also, if you're not playing you can just do footswitch>Enter.

They're sized exactly to fit two rows. Here's a nice sharp image for you. On my 24" monitor this appears at actual size.

View attachment 31061
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here!

Dill or sweet pickles?

Sesame Street Magic GIF by PBS KIDS

Do you have to use humbuster cables with this and how’s the noise floor? Hum issues and ground floor noise with Fractal stuff has given me fits over the years depending on the unit. That’s why I’ve never used the FM9 or FM3 as anything but stand alone.

Nope.

IMG_0274.jpeg

GOOD CATCH! I always forget that the FM3 does not have the variable input impedance feature found on the FM9 and Axe-Fx III. This is fixed for the next manual release, which will probably be today :cool:

Have that next beer on me :-)
Matt, there's also at least 1 place where it refers to 8 scenes. An example is on page 49, under 'Scene Select.'

Back