What is it not it is? Is it?

• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• Prosthetic "tone fingers"

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why would you never do it on the unit??? If it’s possible you can absolutely want to do it with the unit…

The edit apps are really great, the idea is to have the same on a unit screens.

But I dont want to have to pay more money for a big screen on product as we are in 2024 and everything can be done on a phone or tablet app.

Configuring the foot switches is not something I would choose to do on the unit (though I do know how), because there is a more efficient way of going about it. I will admit that I’m somewhat old school in my approach, but I cut my teeth in the era right before modeling became a thing, so I am not nearly as captive to the technology as somebody who has been using it exclusively since day one. As such, I look at the the new tools available with the perspective of what they can do for me-not what their shortcomings are.

Why would you never do it on the unit??? If it’s possible you can absolutely want to do it with the unit…

The edit apps are really great, the idea is to have the same on a unit screens.

But I dont want to have to pay more money for a big screen on product as we are in 2024 and everything can be done on a phone or tablet app.

I do want a good-sized display because information density matters, and a reaching for a phone in the midst of a song/gig/whatever ain't it.

More importantly, I just want a convenient, highly-usable UI....and even as a happy FM9 owner, I admit Fractal has some really low-hanging fruit they need to implement on that front. The suggestions are on the Wish List in the Fractal forums. They have lots of co-signs and they can even be implemented on the current gen of hardware.

I know Cliff is one man, but I want his pursuit of perfection to carry over to UX too.....

I do want a good-sized display because information density matters, and a reaching for a phone in the midst of a song/gig/whatever ain't it.

More importantly, I just want a convenient, highly-usable UI....and even as a happy FM9 owner, I admit Fractal has some really low-hanging fruit they need to implement on that front. The suggestions are on the Wish List in the Fractal forums. They have lots of co-signs and they can even be implemented on the current gen of hardware.

I know Cliff is one man, but I want his pursuit of perfection to carry over to UX too.....

That’s another area where I probably am different from many people. In my first gigging band, I was a wet behind the ears rookie and fifteen years younger than the others, who were all seasoned gigging veterans. If I tried to tweak anything major in the middle of the set, I would get the stink eye right then, then reamed at the next break. It just wasn’t a good look. If your delay mix was a bit off, you just ignored it until the set was over and THEN fixed it.

Challenge for the Fractal experts: how quickly can you dial in a foot switch layout with multiple scenes, a tap tempo tuner, and per preset effect switches all from the unit?

Big difference between being able to do everything and how quickly you can set it all up.

Yes. I would use the FC EZ edit mode. This allows you to touch a switch and then set the tap and hold functions. I have changed FC functions during rehearsal using the controls on the FM9.

Yes. I would use the FC EZ edit mode. This allows you to touch a switch and then set the tap and hold functions. I have changed FC functions during rehearsal using the controls on the FM9.

You’re more dedicated than I am! I would just forego whatever functionality was lacking for the rehearsal, and fix it later at home.

How did you do it?
I don't know, one second my sound was there then it wasn't, I was terrifed I panicked, it was horrible.

1724875731269.jpeg

Am I crazy in thinking I'd be happier with an FM9 precisely because I can just quickly bend down instead of having to be at a rack???

GAS will find any way to justify itself I guess.
Absolutely no chance I’d be into that. Plugin>rackmount>desk unit>>>>>>>floor

Reactions: Elf
That’s another area where I probably am different from many people. In my first gigging band, I was a wet behind the ears rookie and fifteen years younger than the others, who were all seasoned gigging veterans. If I tried to tweak anything major in the middle of the set, I would get the stink eye right then, then reamed at the next break. It just wasn’t a good look. If your delay mix was a bit off, you just ignored it until the set was over and THEN fixed it.

This was very much how I started out with gigging and the early version of ‘no tweaking at the gig’. Especially since I’d be showing up with all my pedals and rack gear and already getting the “You don’t need all that shit, kid” banter before I even got it onstage. Once I started fronting bands where I was singing and playing there wasn’t even the chance.

I just apply the exact same mentality I have when I don’t get something in a mix or pull something off in a song I want; I’ll get it on the next one.

Regarding the UI, I havn't touched the UI in months, a few days ago I tried to check the firmware version through the UI because I could jot see it in Axe-Edit due to its long ass name, a few button clicks and my preset was fucked beyond repair... I never reached the About menu. :cry:
Setup>Utilities>Version

Okay not that this is the most valid argument, but personally I don’t ever find myself making significant preset changes and certainly not making any from scratch in a live setting. Not trying to downplay any improvements that could be made to the onboard UI, but I never find myself using it; I’m doing the majority of work on FM9-Edit.

Back