What is it not it is? Is it?

• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• Prosthetic "tone fingers"

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why would it add to the cost at this point? When so many other modellers at this price point already have a touchscreen? I mean everything goes up in price overtime I guess but look at fender. They just dropped their unit 200 bucks. So either they realise they were overpriced to begin with or they need more sales?
You're not comparing like for like here. Take a bill of materials for an FM3, just as one example. Now remove the old screen, and replace it with a full color touchscreen of the same size. I guarantee you've added cost. (Though how much cost... I have no idea.)

I think it’s kind of late in the game for Cliff to start thinking about touchscreens and implementing them and then charging another what 200 to $400 in the next incarnation.? Also I think the next helix replacement will probably be more expensive than helix and may have a touchscreen but both line 6 and fractal seem to be behind the game when it comes to touch gui. So maybe both those companies will just say no to touchscreens and think outside the box and refuse to submit
EDIT: Oh. Awesome.

20120822101007dog.jpg

I will say that more than the touchscreen phase. I think the switches that also act as encoders is far more brilliant to put into a model unit even the fractal as it is if it had those encoders on the switches would add probably a lot of pluses.

I will say that more than the touchscreen phase. I think the switches that also act as encoders is far more brilliant to put into a model unit even the fractal as it is if it had those encoders on the switches would add probably a lot of pluses.
Poo switches for me faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr outweigh a touch screen. Like, by near infinite levels.

No touch vote from me to… as if anyone cares haha! But yeah… no thanks. Things built to be on the floor, knobs and switches. Things built to be used on a desk, fine… touch my tralala… and sliders!!!

Sliders!!!!

Last edited:
So... don't touch the touchscreen? I mean, sure, it would add a bit of cost, but it wouldn't have to detract from usability or depth in any way whatsoever. People are becoming accustomed to screens being responsive to touch. (Nearly all of us have smartphones in our pockets right now.) There are times when touching an on-screen element to make something happen is simply the most efficient and intuitive thing. (You can actually quantify how efficient and intuitive it would be by counting the fingerprints on my FM3 screen.)

Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it isn't an improvement. I'm willing to bet if it were there you'd use it before too long, and you might even (very quietly) prefer it for some things.
Adding a touch screen would almost certainly include removing many/most front panel knobs.

Additionally, more complexity in stuff like that makes durability/reliability go down.

And touch screens are various levels of quality. The ones on good phones are very good quality which is more cost...

And they don't work well with sweaty fingers!

Adding a touch screen would almost certainly include removing many/most front panel knobs.
Not necessarily. Adding a touchscreen could obviate the need for several of the archaic (and in some instances redundant) buttons, possibly even freeing up some room for knobs. Get into hybrid encoder/ switches and things open up even more.

Additionally, more complexity in stuff like that makes durability/reliability go down.
A solid state, water-proof part versus multiple moving parts that require holes in the top of the enclosure? I'm not convinced this is true.

And touch screens are various levels of quality. The ones on good phones are very good quality which is more cost...
Cost concern is legit. It's obviously up to the designer to strike a happy medium.

And they don't work well with sweaty fingers!
Uh... Wipe your fingers on your shirt? :idk

So... don't touch the touchscreen? I mean, sure, it would add a bit of cost, but it wouldn't have to detract from usability or depth in any way whatsoever. People are becoming accustomed to screens being responsive to touch. (Nearly all of us have smartphones in our pockets right now.) There are times when touching an on-screen element to make something happen is simply the most efficient and intuitive thing. (You can actually quantify how efficient and intuitive it would be by counting the fingerprints on my FM3 screen.)

Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it isn't an improvement. I'm willing to bet if it were there you'd use it before too long, and you might even (very quietly) prefer it for some things.

Let’s discuss this offline, hit me up on my cell…

giphy.gif

I was anti-touchscreen (on floor units) until I owned the Quad Cortex. Then I realized it’s actually great.
I’m sure its great but come on modelers touchscreens won’t never be as great as your phone or tablet screens.
I’d rather fractal enabled some built in Bluetooth and release official apps instead of paying 200€ for a touchscreen that would fuck my gig if there’s some rain or humidity.
Touchscreens are not built for gigs, or maybe yes but that would cost too much to have them waterproof

Back