What is it not it is? Is it?

• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• Prosthetic "tone fingers"

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
just the form factor. those led encoders are 75% of the UI for an amp sim, like Q-links on MPC, or knobs on the Pod Bean. instant access, instant visual feedback and you don't need tweezers to use them. 2 rows of 5 of those, above and below the screen, where knob assignment parameters contextually change on the screen, it would be great
Are you aware of the Performance Pages?

You get 2 rows of 5 controls (both per preset and globally) that are assigned to 5 physical knobs.

And the benefit is that YOU decide which controls you want mapped to the knobs.

Didn't see the original comment, but I could only assume he said "my band is awful, and highly overrated."
I Like You Flirting GIF by bubly

I think reusing the same chassis setups they were already having made forced the form factor, which isn’t the greatest way to come up with a design IMO. I was looking at an FM3 pretty hard, but I just do not like the form, same with FM9. I’d rather fight some things with Helix and get the format I want.
Many of the components in the FM3, FM9, FC-6 and FC-12 are modular and were intentionally designed to keep things simpler for manufacturing and support.

Fractal is a small company...

Are you aware of the Performance Pages?

You get 2 rows of 5 controls (both per preset and globally) that are assigned to 5 physical knobs.

And the benefit is that YOU decide which controls you want mapped to the knobs.

yeah just like that, 10 led encoders for each page, the knobs auto map to parameters as you scroll pages. Just like it is already under the screen with the little encoders, thinking that x2, with actual knobs (led encoders). or motorized encoders lmao.

I just find this line of thought interesting: "I use modelers live, but I use tube amps recording, so when I run it through this mic that colors it heavily, into this mic pre that colors it heavily, and then apply these VSTs, I get pure distillation of toan".

I get this too.

The way I look at it is this ... assuming your recording budget allows for the extra money and time involved recording real amps ... then why not use and start with the real thing as the foundation building block of your tone ?

ie:- say your tone revolves around an AC30 or AC15 or Dlx Rev or JCM 800 or Plexi or Twin or Hiwatt or JC120 etc..... .... all very easy to get staples in the real world .... then the choice .... imho is simple:-

=> any modeler gives you its best emulation of the real thing ..... but we all know it *isnt* the real thing and isn't the same as the real thing.

So if you are going to print your music or songs on a new Album, you kind of only get one chance to make it as real and authentic as you can ... cause once its printed to tape / hard disk .... its done and dusted for all time.

Ben

I get this too.

The way I look at it is this ... assuming your recording budget allows for the extra money and time involved recording real amps ... then why not use and start with the real thing as the foundation building block of your tone ?

ie:- say your tone revolves around an AC30 or AC15 or Dlx Rev or JCM 800 or Plexi or Twin or Hiwatt or JC120 etc..... .... all very easy to get staples in the real world .... then the choice .... imho is simple:-

=> any modeler gives you its best emulation of the real thing ..... but we all know it *isnt* the real thing and isn't the same as the real thing.

So if you are going to print your music or songs on a new Album, you kind of only get one chance to make it as real and authentic as you can ... cause once its printed to tape / hard disk .... its done and dusted for all time.

Ben
True. I’m not saying either way is more valid. Just that I think modelers are fine for “final print” as well.

I'd almost argue the reverse - who gives a fuck what it is recorded with when it is mixed in with a bunch of drums, bass, vocals, synths, etc....

Where a real amp really matters - IMHO - is in a live performance.
That was kinda my point. Whilst I’m no longer an amp guy, I’d care more about it for live use if I was still using one.

While I’d love to sit in a full blown studio with all the mics, pres and amps imaginable, I think if I sat there trying to get a guitar tone from all that stuff for longer than 30 minutes I’d say “Fuck this, give me an AxeFX”, unless it were just to dick around and experiment with sounds. If I were on a clock, yeah, it’d be AxeFX tones all day long.

The more time goes by, the more nihilistic I get with ‘tone’. Maybe pragmatic is a better word.

While I’d love to sit in a full blown studio with all the mics, pres and amps imaginable, I think if I sat there trying to get a guitar tone from all that stuff for longer than 30 minutes I’d say “Fuck this, give me an AxeFX”, unless it were just to dick around and experiment with sounds. If I were on a clock, yeah, it’d be AxeFX tones all day long.

The more time goes by, the more nihilistic I get with ‘tone’. Maybe pragmatic is a better word.
Didn't do dabble with the mic and cab combo when you first got the tube heads (this most recent time)? I think we talked about how much of a pain it can be 🤣

I'd almost argue the reverse - who gives a fuck what it is recorded with when it is mixed in with a bunch of drums, bass, vocals, synths, etc....

Where a real amp really matters - IMHO - is in a live performance.
Solid argument for both, for either situation modelling just strikes me as a lack of ambition. I understand the sense in making the compromise but real amps are always cooler.

I KIND of think modellers and digital generally give the impression that tones in the studio are more complicated than they usually are.

Most of those classic tones are dead simple - part of the reason of multiple micing is basically to cover their arse. Rather than obsessing over the minutiae of mic positioning, you can adjust the blend and not interrupt the session.

Back