What is it not it is? Is it?

• None of the above

• Electric sex pants

• Unsliced Bread

• Prosthetic "tone fingers"

• JiveTurkey's resolve to "innovate" with audio signal routing

• Lab grown "safe & guilt-free" toe meat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wishful thinking, but I still believe the only thing that makes sense is my idea of the FM0:
a minimalist box of chips for full Cygnus modeling.

Take the FM3 chassis and delete everything but the ports. Maybe make it smaller. Maybe stuff it with FM9 chips. Maybe stuff it with next generation DSP (and use that as a pathfinder for pivoting to the next generation of Fractal hardware).

For home/studio use, use Axe-Edit. For live use, use an FC and/or MIDI controllers.

* Requires firmware -- check!
* Hardware based -- check!
* Complements the existing product line -- check!
* Consistent with the current generation -- check!
* Minimal costs across R&D as well as production -- check!
* Minimal impacts to the dev team -- check!
* Leverages the much-loved Axe-Edit -- check!
* Stays in the Fractal lane -- check!

So I doubt it's "native"...and I'm skeptical that it's anything like all these mock-ups of Stomp-sized pedals. A new pedal requires real time and money -- just getting the thermals right would require lengthy development.

I also don't see Fractal cutting down their feature set to fit a "My First Modeller"; there's no precedent for them doing that and that seems like a bit of a lane change.

What exactly is an FM0 again? I know it's a model player of some sort but don't think I've seen any details beyond that.

Bluetooth?
Editing?
Onboard ambience included?
etc.

Fractal has said in th
What exactly is an FM0 again? I know it's a model player of some sort but don't think I've seen any details beyond that.

Bluetooth?
Editing?
Onboard ambience included?
etc.
Take the FM3, throw out the footswitches and make it barely larger than the front panel. The FM3 takes a lot of space and is a poor fit on pedalboards with its miserable switch count. External footswitching would give you options.

Take the FM3 chassis and delete everything but the ports. Maybe make it smaller. Maybe stuff it with FM9 chips. Maybe stuff it with next generation DSP (and use that as a pathfinder for pivoting to the next generation of Fractal hardware).

I understand that there's a small, very vocal group that wants this...but I just don't get it. My reaction: the FM3 already exists. Just use that.

make it barely larger than the front panel

The display and the areas underneath and to the right of it?

FM3-MKII.jpg

Same I/O?
Pretty much needs the same chassis height to have the proper fan cooling I assume.

Fractal-Audio-FM3-Anschl%C3%BCsse-535x233.jpg

Last edited:
Firmware IS software - sort of. It's just not user accessible.

Helix Native is chock full of FW.
Yes, firmware is a software, but it's a software that is installed in specific hardware components (usually eeproms) and something required for that hardware to turn on. The firmwares in a PC are the BIOS/UEFI and the firmwares within some peripherals.
A software (meaning an app/plugin) like Helix Native has no firmware.

I understand that there's a small, very vocal group that wants this...but I just don't get it. My reaction: the FM3 already exists. Just use that.

Pretty much. They sell an FM3, FM9, the ultimate footswitchless variant: AxeFX, as well as 6 and 12 switch foot controllers. Hapiness lies in there somewhere right? lol An FM0 just seems like niche within a niche, servicing a small subsection of their existing base and not particularly enticing anyone else.

Something like plugins, via a satellite type box, native, or audio interface actually fills a major gap within the overall ecosystem and moves the platform forward in a new and exciting way.

On the FM0, no need to reinvent the wheel (again):

If it were up to me (thankfully it isn’t), I wouldn’t have a screen or controls on an FM-0. If it’s primarily made for desktop, why wouldn’t you use FM Edit?

and if it’s made for a pedalboard, the added space/cost/power/reliability costs don’t really benefit it. If the GUI was light years ahead of what we expect with Fractal gear, maybe. As it stands, Fractal is all about the algo’s, the flexibility, the sound. I’d take bluetooth/wireless editing, and have something more akin to a patchbay that can live under a pedalboard. Bonus points it it can power other pedals have some other useful small features.

The best way would be to reduce to that ABSOLUTE minimum - anything on there should HAVE to be there.

Last edited:
It has to be a pedal sized FM3. Designed to fit on a pedal board like all the others that have come out recently. Probably one button, maybe two. Fewer ports. Highly unlikely there will be a cpu change, so it probably has the same assortment of blocks as the FM3. Priced between a Pod Express and a Kemper Player. Only question is the UI. Is there a screen?

I would guess a FM0 Would make sense for Folks who gig and have Pedalboards hybrid setups, which there seems to be a high demand for this
for my needs i need my 6 switches at the bottom near my feet
I still think something like a HX stomp would be ideal
YMMV

:idk

If it were up to me (thankfully it isn’t), I wouldn’t have a screen or controls on an FM-0. If it’s primarily made for desktop, why wouldn’t you use FM Edit?

and if it’s made for a pedalboard, the added space/cost/power/reliability costs don’t really benefit it. If the GUI was light years ahead of what we expect with Fractal gear, maybe. As it stands, Fractal is all about the algo’s, the flexibility, the sound. I’d take bluetooth/wireless editing, and have something more akin to a patchbay that can live under a pedalboard. Bonus points it it can power other pedals have some other useful small features.

The best way would be to reduce to that ABSOLUTE minimum - anything on there should HAVE to be there.

100%. An FM0 only makes any sense if it’s a blank box with just IO.

giphy.gif

Back