FM3 Dilemma :(

Stone

Rock Star
So I can get the FM3 now and go on the waitlist, not sure how long the wait is ?
But i have this nagging suspicion that there will soon be a FM3 turbo just over the horizon, and well that would somewhat piss me off after I've received a standard FM3
and Fractal announces the FM3 Turbo AWD edition :(

decisions-disappear.gif

So I can get the FM3 now and go on the waitlist, not sure how long the wait is ?
But i have this nagging suspicion that there will soon be a FM3 turbo just over the horizon, and well that would somewhat piss me off after I've received a standard FM3
and Fractal announces the FM3 Turbo AWD edition :(

decisions-disappear.gif
There will likely be a turbo yes( out of necessity when they run out of current 450 mhz chips )
You will likely gain 1 additional block
If you are on the wait list and the next batch is Turbo , that’s what you will be offered so no loss getting on the list

Yeah. The FM9 Turbo was not a planned product; Fractal was forced to change DSPs because of supply chain issues, and the new part happened to be just a tad faster than the original.

The FM3 uses a all-in-one ADSP-SC587 chip. Don't think you'll ever see a turbo update for that.

Last edited:
Yeah. The FM9 Turbo was not a planned product; Fractal was forced to change DSPs because of supply chain issues, and the new part happened to be just a tad faster than the original.

The FM3 uses a all-in-one ADSP-SC587 chip. Don't think you'll ever see a turbo update for that.
It's the same chip the FM9 uses, but the FM9 has two instead of one.

The FM9 uses the same processor type (Analog Devices “Griffin” DSP: one ARM and two SHARC+ cores) as the FM3, but two instead of one.
The FM9 Turbo uses two 500MHz SC587 processors versus two 450MHz SC587 processors in the original FM9.

-
From the Fractal wiki

So it's a question of whether there is room for a FM3 Turbo that crams the FM9 processors in the FM3 chassis and how much that would cost. A FM3 Turbo using just one of the FM9 Turbo chips is basically nothing more than a slightly faster FM3 which won't give it any real advantage over the current FM3.

A big part of the FM3 is that it's much cheaper than their other products. They've tried to keep it at that $1000 USD price range so more people are willing to pay for it over the much more expensive FM9 and Axe-Fx 3.

Yes, its attractive enough for me to sample the Fractalverse and have both platforms Helix & Fractal
Yeah exactly as planned. Then you go "hmm, that FM9 sounds like a good idea..."

I used the rack units for many years and picked up a used FM3 "just to try out the latest one" while I was waiting for the QC. When the FM9 was released, I ended up picking up a used Axe-Fx 3 for about what the FM9 originally would have cost in Europe. I used the FM3 as a more portable unit and it's great for that and realistically can do most standard guitar signal chains you'd need e.g live. Especially the 6.0 firmware that reduced CPU usage helped a good bit.

@Stone If you go on the waitlist you're not obligated to buy, so you could get on the waitlist anyway as ✨ insurance ✨ .

And whilst you're at it, might as well get on both waitlists! (FM3 and FM9).

My story is that I was on the FM9 waitlist and when my time came, I wasn't sure and already had the FM3.

A month or so later, I changed my mind, emailed FAS and asked to be given another opputunity to buy, which they graciously gave me; that's when I bought the FM9.

Yes I put myself on the waitlist and well Ill manage to do what I can on the FM3 as Mentioned I aint no Pro ...
and well Il have 2 Platforms and then If I cant get what I want between those 2 then the problem is me :D

The FM9 uses the same processor type (Analog Devices “Griffin” DSP: one ARM and two SHARC+ cores) as the FM3, but two instead of one.
The FM9 Turbo uses two 500MHz SC587 processors versus two 450MHz SC587 processors in the original FM9.

-
From the Fractal wiki

So it's a question of whether there is room for a FM3 Turbo that crams the FM9 processors in the FM3 chassis and how much that would cost. A FM3 Turbo using just one of the FM9 Turbo chips is basically nothing more than a slightly faster FM3 which won't give it any real advantage over the current FM3.

A big part of the FM3 is that it's much cheaper than their other products. They've tried to keep it at that $1000 USD price range so more people are willing to pay for it over the much more expensive FM9 and Axe-Fx 3.
My guess and again who knows it depends on where they are in product lifecycle and build queue
But my guess is the current model is $999 the Turbo will be 1099
The Turbo MAY also use the new MK2 scribble strips they have on the FC again depends on where they are in production and how easy it is to piviot and change the BOM w the substitutions

Well, ill wait and see, maybe the reason there is a wait is because they will implement new CPU Hence the FM3 turbo, or its just production delays
but by all accounts supply chains woes should no longer be an issue
guess we shall see

:idk

Well, ill wait and see, maybe the reason there is a wait is because they will implement new CPU Hence the FM3 turbo, or its just production delays
but by all accounts supply chains woes should no longer be an issue
guess we shall see

:idk

Ha. Supply chain issues are still a thing. I'm still getting 35-week lead times on AC's for my property because everything is spoken for that's hitting the docks now.

Overall, I think people fail to remember that the turbo stuff wasn't a planned addition to the line, not with the III or FM9. If they were, sure, I'd expect an FM3 Turbo. I think the price point it's at, it wouldn't make sense to make a more expensive one without adding additional footswitches. I think it'd have to be an entirely new product for it to make much sense between the FM3 and FM9.

Yes like the FM6
which would make sense as a business model of good, better, best, and Flagship

Back