Yet Another FM3 On The Way

norminal

Rock Star
Because why have only one when you can have two?

I was on the lookout for one for a buddy, who coincidentally decided to go another route. The price was right, so I grabbed it.

Seriously, as appetizing as the FM3 Mark II Turbo looks, the OG models will have a whole new lease on life once the gapless feature trickles down to it.

Any CPU limitations that they previously had will pretty much be a non-issue, as long as you’re not worried about dual amps, running “Ultra-High” quality reverbs, or extravagant signal chains.

Recently, I’ve seen them going as low as $700. That’s approaching HX Stomp pricing. This makes a used first-generation FM3 a solid buy for those wanting to dip their toes into Fractal Land.

Seriously, if you don't need dual amps and cab blocks (I never did), more footswitches or ridiculous kitchen sinks, I think the FM3 is far more powerful than it gets credit for. I mean, it's still getting all the latest amp block improvements regardless of people thinking it ran out of steam a few updates ago. And gapless will make it just immensely powerful.

Also I enjoy having money left over to indulge other gear "needs."

The non-turbo FM3s sound better. They used tone-plastic on the enclosures, and many scoffed at the time, but now after hearing the Turbo's ABS plastic, I can honestly say the tone-plastic made a difference. Still keeping my Turbo tho.

Please note that this is a joke.

I might be snagging one soon as well, pretty sure I’m just going to be using my FM9 for effects with the cover band rig and the footprint is pretty damn big for that. Need to do some research first, the Virtual Capo is doing so much heavy lifting with this rig and I haven’t paid attention at all to CPU constraints with the FM3 in that regard.

My other guitar player is buying one. Dude brought his AxeFX III/Headrush cab AND his XXX halfstack last night, he uses the AxeFX for just cleans. “This feels like a lot of stuff to bring” :rofl No shit!

How's he gonna get one when you're buying them all up? Come on, guy.

He posted back in January that he got on the waitlist for the FM9 Turbo MKII.

And I started a thread for FM9T MKII owners to chime in hoping to get his experience with the "end all, be all... King of modelers"

And so far....crickets, nothing, nada, zero !

I might be snagging one soon as well, pretty sure I’m just going to be using my FM9 for effects with the cover band rig and the footprint is pretty damn big for that. Need to do some research first, the Virtual Capo is doing so much heavy lifting with this rig and I haven’t paid attention at all to CPU constraints with the FM3 in that regard.

My other guitar player is buying one. Dude brought his AxeFX III/Headrush cab AND his XXX halfstack last night, he uses the AxeFX for just cleans. “This feels like a lot of stuff to bring” :rofl No shit!
Jimmy Herring uses an Axe Fx II (might have moved up to a III by now), a 2U solid state power amp, and a 4x12 cab just for reverb.

The biggest issues I've had with the FM3 have had nothing to do with actual performance as a modeler -- no CPU issues, etc. However, I have always found that it will go stretches where I can't get it to connect to my computer over USB. This has persisted over two different computers.

It could be that I've got faulty hardware; dunno. It is an early headphone jack unit.

And I do wish there was ONE more set of outputs.

But when I owned the III for a bit, it just got really hard to justify what was basically $1.8k sitting on the desk...doing the exact same stuff I was doing with the FM3 I still had.

The biggest issues I've had with the FM3 have had nothing to do with actual performance as a modeler -- no CPU issues, etc. However, I have always found that it will go stretches where I can't get it to connect to my computer over USB. This has persisted over two different computers.

It could be that I've got faulty hardware; dunno. It is an early headphone jack unit.

And I do wish there was ONE more set of outputs.
That definitely sounds faulty. Never had this issue with mine. I assume you've tried different USB cables too?

But when I owned the III for a bit, it just got really hard to justify what was basically $1.8k sitting on the desk...doing the exact same stuff I was doing with the FM3 I still had.
I'm kind of starting to be in this camp. It's great, but I originally bought it for a couple of reasons:
  • I was tired of playing block Tetris on the FM3. Then a bit after I bought the Axe-Fx 3, Fractal reduced the CPU usage a bit so now it became more comfortable of doing the signal chains I wanted.
  • I thought I'd use all the dual amp, more complex fx etc capabilities more. Hasn't happened. IR Player is nice for headphone or room correction tho!
  • I thought I'd use the front panel more when it's right there on my desk. Didn't work out, still don't like those cramped under screen knobs and the Axe-Fx 3 didn't like being angled, the fan gets annoyingly noisy.
  • FM9 was just released, but it was not going to be out in the EU for months and I bought my used Axe-Fx 3 Mk2 for about similar money as the FM9 was going to cost new back then.
I miss the FM3 portability. Hauling the Axe-Fx 3 in a rack case is just not the same convenience.

I miss the FM3 portability. Hauling the Axe-Fx 3 in a rack case is just not the same convenience.
It's not really that portable, though. It is certainly shrunk down vs. full blown rack rig' but I find myself wanting it smaller if I am specifically focusing on that aspect. Enough so that the portability point is rendered moot.

It's not really that portable, though. It is certainly shrunk down vs. full blown rack rig' but I find myself wanting it smaller if I am specifically focusing on that aspect. Enough so that the portability point is rendered moot.
I'm in agreement on this, especially if you're having to add any sort of extra footswitch controllability. If you're literally packing you're rig in a suitcase for a legit fly gig and can pull that off with just the FM3, I could see the advantage of the FM3 over the FM9 in terms of being compact. Everything else...I mean, the FM9 isn't THAT much more cumbersome.

As it stands, the HX Stomp Custom Combo is still by far the best form factor for super portability.

I'm in agreement on this, especially if you're having to add any sort of extra footswitch controllability. If you're literally packing you're rig in a suitcase for a legit fly gig and can pull that off with just the FM3, I could see the advantage of the FM3 over the FM9 in terms of being compact. Everything else...I mean, the FM9 isn't THAT much more cumbersome.

As it stands, the HX Stomp Custom Combo is still by far the best form factor for super portability.
The Stomp is ABSOLUTELY the GOAT for the small form factor focused crowd. Quibbles about onboard editing controls and clunkiness duly noted. I can and have totally gotten by with the FM3 and an exp pedal but those extra switches on the FM9 are super nice have. You can pretty much talk yourself into either direction without even trying :brick:rofl

Like...a FM0?

Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

Seriously, I'd like that too. The FM3 is either "yeah, it's kinda compact on its own" or "man, that thing is way too big to put on a pedalboard!" I think you just reminded me of one reason why I sold the FM3.

I'd be throwing money at Fractal for a FM0 that is closer in size to a Boss GT-1000 Core for example.

Back