Yet Another FM3 On The Way

The Stomp is ABSOLUTELY the GOAT for the small form factor focused crowd. Quibbles about onboard editing controls and clunkiness duly noted. I can and have totally gotten by with the FM3 and an exp pedal but those extra switches on the FM9 are super nice have. You can pretty much talk yourself into either direction without even trying :brick:rofl
The Stomp does come with the caveat of "this is definitely a tool, not a toy. It is not for the folks that like to sit down to 'play guitar' by . . . loading up a blank patch and thinking 'what amp do I want to dink around with today?'. Put some work and thought into preset management and button usage before hand." Once those are sorted, though, and one has chosen to stay within its High Performing Models zone, its pretty great. Still feel that little twitch of tension release that I didn't realize was there when I go from it back to Fractal after some playing, but the exact same can be said for any Fractal product not connected to a computer re: tool not a toy.

The Stomp does come with the caveat of "this is definitely a tool, not a toy. It is not for the folks that like to sit down to 'play guitar' by . . . loading up a blank patch and thinking 'what amp do I want to dink around with today?'. Put some work and thought into preset management and button usage before hand." Once those are sorted, though, and one has chosen to stay within its High Performing Models zone, its pretty great. Still feel that little twitch of tension release that I didn't realize was there when I go from it back to Fractal after some playing, but the exact same can be said for any Fractal product not connected to a computer re: tool not a toy.
Yeah and for me, on both devices; I am working specifically with a boiled down switching methodology in mind. So in that mindset no matter which way I am looking. I don't miss the Stomp because really all the amps and fx I love are in the FMwtfver I am using at the time. I will give it another go probably once a new generation comes along I am sure :unsure:

I will also say my FM3 actually sounded better to my ears than my same preset in my FM9 the other day. So there is that (probably imaginary) fw gate discrepancy happening as well.

The Stomp does come with the caveat of "this is definitely a tool, not a toy. It is not for the folks that like to sit down to 'play guitar' by . . . loading up a blank patch and thinking 'what amp do I want to dink around with today?'. Put some work and thought into preset management and button usage before hand." Once those are sorted, though, and one has chosen to stay within its High Performing Models zone, its pretty great. Still feel that little twitch of tension release that I didn't realize was there when I go from it back to Fractal after some playing, but the exact same can be said for any Fractal product not connected to a computer.
Yeah the HX Stomp is something I'd like to love, but every time I've tried it, I hate the onboard editing experience. I used it 99% of the time on the full Helix and liked that.

The discussion for wanting better onboard control always seems to turn into some "why don't you come prepared with pre-programmed sounds?" like you would be twisting all those knobs constantly when playing live. Live at most you want to tweak a few things on the fly, like fx mix or tailor the sound to the room or guitar. Fractal's performance view, as limited as it is, is enough for that - provided you remembered to pre-program it.

I want something closer to messing around with different fx on a pedalboard, when you have time to do that, rather than at a gig.
With most modelers, it was never that fun to play "mad tone scientist" where you can just try things out and land on something cool. It always feels like being a programmer and that's my day job already. Same for Fractals connected to Axe-Edit of course.

While you can't do dedicated knobs for everything, you can do at least more encoders and better access to different blocks and their parameters. 3 knobs is terrible. Full Helix with 6 knobs is pretty good. QC is very nice to use, but obviously bigger than the HX Stomp.

Boss GT-1000 also has a pretty decent system with the 5 knobs + the view where it shows all block params as a table of 5 params mapped to the 5 knobs so you only need to scroll rows up/down. I'm interested in what Boss will do for an inevitable "GX-1000 Core".

Fractal has the knobs, but requires a lot of back and forth between the nav/page keys and under screen knobs to do anything. Getting to different blocks is not that quick either, even with the doubleclick shortcuts on the knobs because they don't work anywhere but the Home screen.

mad scientist laughter GIF by SMOSH

Yeah the HX Stomp is something I'd like to love, but every time I've tried it, I hate the onboard editing experience. I used it 99% of the time on the full Helix and liked that.

The discussion for wanting better onboard control always seems to turn into some "why don't you come prepared with pre-programmed sounds?"

...3 knobs is terrible. Full Helix with 6 knobs is pretty good. QC is very nice to use, but obviously bigger than the HX Stomp.
While I get the conversation often turns to "why don't you come prepared with pre-programmed sounds?", it seems to me that just as often the conversation turns into the direction of this one, which is "The Stomp is great if you take it for what it is and work within its limitations". 3-knobs is...perfectly adequate once you've got a patch dialed mostly to your liking.

The discussion for wanting better onboard control always seems to turn into some "why don't you come prepared with pre-programmed sounds?" like you would be twisting all those knobs constantly when playing live. Live at most you want to tweak a few things on the fly, like fx mix or tailor the sound to the room or guitar. Fractal's performance view, as limited as it is, is enough for that - provided you remembered to pre-program it.

I want something closer to messing around with different fx on a pedalboard, when you have time to do that, rather than at a gig.
With most modelers, it was never that fun to play "mad tone scientist" where you can just try things out and land on something cool. It always feels like being a programmer and that's my day job already. Same for Fractals connected to Axe-Edit of course.

While you can't do dedicated knobs for everything, you can do at least more encoders and better access to different blocks and their parameters. 3 knobs is terrible. Full Helix with 6 knobs is pretty good. QC is very nice to use, but obviously bigger than the HX Stomp.

Boss GT-1000 also has a pretty decent system with the 5 knobs + the view where it shows all block params as a table of 5 params mapped to the 5 knobs so you only need to scroll rows up/down. I'm interested in what Boss will do for an inevitable "GX-1000 Core".

Fractal has the knobs, but requires a lot of back and forth between the nav/page keys and under screen knobs to do anything. Getting to different blocks is not that quick either, even with the doubleclick shortcuts on the knobs because they don't work anywhere but the Home screen.

mad scientist laughter GIF by SMOSH

This is pretty much 100% my experience. Except I actually really like working with the fm9 on axe-edit, which is crazy because I’ve always been an anti-edit-modeler-on-computer guy. That editor is really, really well done though and I like using it. I can get around the onboard UI for live stuff, but it isn’t fun for creating stuff IMO like the Helix floor is.

Fortunately with all the controller options, channels, and footswitching power, I’ve been able to set it up to cover a huge range of sounds with just footswitches so I don’t need to do much other than footswitch around when I’m at a rehearsal of jam and still have a wealth of options. TBF, that took several days of work to program it all though. Would be cool to have all of that plus a fun onboard editing approach, but so far I’m thinking the FM stuff is the closest thing to ideal currently available for me. And it sounds freaking amazing.

D

It's not really that portable, though. It is certainly shrunk down vs. full blown rack rig' but I find myself wanting it smaller if I am specifically focusing on that aspect. Enough so that the portability point is rendered moot.

Yeah it’s a chunky boy, but we are getting to a point with gear where everything seems like an inconvenience.

giphy.gif

I don’t find the stomp controls to be limiting at all… got pretty used to it within the first hour and I have no trouble paging over to the right knob when I need to tweak one.

I still want to try an fm3.

This idea keeps coming up; I think it deserves its own thread so Cliff can see our design....and then we can simply will it into existence!
He is aware. He went so far as to answer my questions about the viability of deconstructing my FM3 into an FM0. I got lazy and didn't follow through on my initial thoughts of dremel tooling the whole thing into pieces to make a better Custom Combo. I'm sure my laziness in that endeavor has done nothing to help convince him that there is a desperate, high demand market for yet another incarnation.

But would it be a “floor model” if it didn’t have foot switches?

What are we thinking here? Something like the Two Notes Opus?

View attachment 20814
IS IT STILL AN AMP IF ITS NOT IN THE ROOM?!?!?!?

You put it where you want to use it. Just as loads of folks use their FMs on desktops. Like all Fractal devices, not a whole lot different from the rest of the line, because nobody wants a different firmware situation.

IS IT STILL AN AMP IF ITS NOT IN THE ROOM?!?!?!?

You put it where you want to use it. Just as loads of folks use their FMs on desktops. Like all Fractal devices, not a whole lot different from the rest of the line, because nobody wants a different firmware situation.
So, essentially something like this (minus the rails and rubber feet)?

IMG_2846.jpeg

So, essentially something like this (minus the rails and rubber feet)?

View attachment 20819
Ideally a tad shorter, too, but yeah. It's a dumb idea that's never gonna get made because 8 people. But it would make the custom Fractal Combo doable in like a Princeton Reverb size box instead of a "gawd why does Mesa Boogie make their combos so deep" size box:

1711647352006.png

If you're way of thinking involves a Temple Board, then consider me immune. :barf
I got one with my FM3/FC6 trade deal. They aren't as "made from tinfoil---watch it sink in the midsection!" as I thought would be. The pre-routed cables that the last user put in place and the power supply module on the bottom have ensured that I wont use it. Nor will I use the seemingly 40lb killer flight case that it was shipped in :oops:

Back