Fender Tone Master Bassman

While we’re sitting around making fun of them I recently saw clips of Brent Mason gigging with one, and a guy over at TOP posted about just playing the Grand Ole Opry with one. Plenty of players who know what’s up are using these because they’re such useful tools for working guitarists.

It’s just like the amp you’ve been using for decades, only quieter and less expensive to maintain.

… a twin. They aren’t really known for their breakup sounds

There are players would beg to differ on that point. I can think of some players who used to use Twins pushed into overdrive as part of their sound

Last edited:
There are players would beg to differ on that point. I can think of some players who used to use Twins pushed into overdrive as part of their sound

Can you name one? I’m not saying they don’t exist, but I’ve never heard of anyone regularly pushing a BF twin to the point of distortion that a loop would be useful. Genuinely curious who is doing this.

D

Tone is in the jumpsuit. Or the cranked Quad Verb (which is basically a Twin w/ 2 more speakers):

Welp, there’s one….

Can you imagine just how loud that thing must have been?

I still don’t see much value in an effects loop on a twin reverb lol.

D

Welp, there’s one….

D
I mean, he did have to compete with two rhythm guitars, bass, drums, piano, horn section, AND a pair of go-go dancers, so he probably needed the volume.

Can you name one? I’m not saying they don’t exist, but I’ve never heard of anyone regularly pushing a BF twin to the point of distortion that a loop would be useful. Genuinely curious who is doing this.

D
You could always remove the two inner (or outer?) power tubes, making it a 50W amp.

Still plenty of headroom, but earlier breakup is guaranteed.

4x10 is obviously great…if I played stages where that was appropriate and digged SS poweramps…I’d consider it as a “powered speaker” (for whatever modeler)

Is it weird that ever since Cliff shared all his graphs of the TMP and also the stuff like the power amp is just a simple wave shaper…I’m completely uninterested in anything “tone master” related. Especially if, I thought in a baseman type circuit, the first things to distort are the power section.

Another odd thing, I thought the reasoning for not having an effects loop in the Twin version was because it would add latency, and not be true to a normal Twin. But now they add it here?

Yup. I won't new Fender when it comes to amps/modellers, and I genuinely love
and respect FMIC and it's various branches. Just other options----including many
great deals on vintage Fender tube amps to this day--that I find more interesting. :idk

Welp, there’s one….

D

I think Johnny Winter made more people deaf at his shows than any other
single guitarist. He was obnoxiously and painfully bright and loud. Firebird
into Fender Twin. WTF???!!!

Legend. But god damn man! Have some compassion for your audience. :hmm

And then there is Uncle Ted in his heyday playing a Gibson Byrdland into
a Twin, and then a wall of Super Twins. I want to never hear guitar just thinking
about that. :rofl

s-l1600.webp

D

Someone beat me to it. Ted Nugent was another one who famously used stacks of cranked Twins live

Ted%2BNugent%2B%255B1981.xx.xx%255D%2BNugent%2BNuggets%2B%2528OH%2BBOY%2B1-9102%2529%2B-%2BFront%2BCover.jpg

So you guys are telling me you need an effects loop on a twin to play Freddie king and Ted Nugent tunes?

Confused What The GIF by Sesame Street

I’m JK, wish for whatever you want, it doesn’t have to make sense to me…

D

So you guys are telling me you need an effects loop on a twin to play Freddie king and Ted Nugent tunes?

D
I think the points are (1) it’d make this a cooler device because I could run my other mixer into the return and (2) it’s got power scaling that lets me wind it back to get breakup at lower volumes - so a loop would be kinda nice. Overall, I feel like if one is looking for those levels of flexibility - they should probably be looking at something else.

Saw them on this tour in 1978 and had a 7th row aisle seat. They did Roundabout for an encore and Howe got on the top riser
and timed a jump off right before his solo.......

Only problem was he landed on his cord and yanked it out. :LOL:
He looked all sheepish while the rest of the band lost it.

D

I don’t care, I don’t use effects loops and I don’t like distorted Twins. I was just pointing out there was a time when Twins absolutely were known for their breakup sound

Back