Fear of breaking strings…

Where are you breaking the strings at? If they’re always breaking in the same place(s), it’s probably something that can be fixed.

D

I actually haven’t broken one in a really long time before this recent one.

B string broke right at the saddle.

I’m going to take a close look at it before I put the new string on

You would probably know better than I, @metropolis_4 , but it seems there was not a lot of bending going
on with guitar players in the 40s and 50s. Not a lot of legato either, is there? :idk

You would probably know better than I, @metropolis_4 , but it seems there was not a lot of bending going
on with guitar players in the 40s and 50s. Not a lot of legato either, is there? :idk

Nope, and it was mostly because of the strings themselves. Strings for electric guitars were basically the same as strings for acoustic/archtop guitars because there was no concept of different strings specifically for an electric guitar. So they were thick and heavy and had wound G strings (.028").

It wasn't until later in the '50s some guys started getting the idea to use a banjo string for the high E and then move every string in the guitar set down one string. So the E string in the guitar set became the B string, the B string the G string, etc. and throw away the guitar low E string.

This trick allowed guitarists to use strings that were "slinky" enough to bend and use vibrato. From what I've heard, Ernie Ball caught on to the idea and tried to convince Fender and others to make them, but he was turned away so he began making them himself in the early '60s.

Wow! So we are all whiny, little bitches with sissy hands now, is that what you are saying?? By comparison? :LOL:

I find some of that furious pick every note playing super challenging. There was no sustain, and you were
not milking notes, were you?

Crazy to think about the evolution of electric guitar, and electric guitar playing. I watched a Doc on
Buddy Guy a while back and didn't realize how inventive and innovative he was. He really ushered in
a lot of the trends that have now become synonymous with "rock" guitar playing. He was told he
was too aggressive and flashy and no one would go for it. Nuts!

Last edited:
Wow! So we are all whiny, little b*tches with sissy hands now, is that what you are saying?? By comparison? :LOL:

I find some of that furious pick every note playing super challenging. There was no sustain, and you were
not milking notes, were you?

Crazy to think about the evolution of electric guitar, and electric guitar playing. I watched a Doc on
Buddy Guy a while back and didn't realize how inventive and innovative he was. He really ushered in
a lot of the trends that have now become synonymous with "rock" guitar playing. He was told he
was too aggressive and flashy and no one would go for it. Nuts!

Yeah, definitely a lot more picking going on before the days of things like distortion adding sustain to the notes.

Some guys made it look easier than others: https://thegearforum.com/threads/og-shredders.765/

Back