Album Drops

Thank you!
Weird Al My Work Here Is Done GIF by Adult Swim

Glad you enjoyed, thanks for listening. :beer
What are some of your weapons of choice when in comes to effects in the box? If you dont mind me asking.

What are some of your weapons of choice when in comes to effects in the box? If you dont mind me asking.
Sure thing. For Ah Maya 1 and 2 -- A lot of eq sculpting to start off. A stock Apple AUGraphic EQ believe it or not works great. I'm using Studio One 6, and their stock ProEQ in dynamic mode worked to control some peaks here and there. Moog filter plugin was used some, and others from that suite like the Murf, Cluster and delay for some added space and texture. Eventide Blackhole and Split Eq were utilized. Fiedler Audio Stage from Plugin Alliance for some subtle spatial effects, a flange in some spots. I even used Helix Native for some of the patches, adding in some grit and space. There are a few more one-off effects here and there but can't think of them at the moment. Other than plugins I pitched and slowed down tracks in varying degrees to get a desired effect. A lot of it this is improv. Almost 100% 1st takes and everything was used.
Once I got the tones and individual track count to what I liked, I used a FaderPort 16 to volume automate. All of those tracks were played 'live' riding the faders as a performance. I didn't use any compression other than on the master bus, which started as an Ozone 10 preset with some subtle tweaks. I think I used a Presonus multi-band compressor plug a few times.

Sure thing. For Ah Maya 1 and 2 -- A lot of eq sculpting to start off. A stock Apple AUGraphic EQ believe it or not works great. I'm using Studio One 6, and their stock ProEQ in dynamic mode worked to control some peaks here and there. Moog filter plugin was used some, and others from that suite like the Murf, Cluster and delay for some added space and texture. Eventide Blackhole and Split Eq were utilized. Fiedler Audio Stage from Plugin Alliance for some subtle spatial effects, a flange in some spots. I even used Helix Native for some of the patches, adding in some grit and space. There are a few more one-off effects here and there but can't think of them at the moment. Other than plugins I pitched and slowed down tracks in varying degrees to get a desired effect. A lot of it this is improv. Almost 100% 1st takes and everything was used.
Once I got the tones and individual track count to what I liked, I used a FaderPort 16 to volume automate. All of those tracks were played 'live' riding the faders as a performance. I didn't use any compression other than on the master bus, which started as an Ozone 10 preset with some subtle tweaks. I think I used a Presonus multi-band compressor plug a few times.
Ahh, ok, I am on Windows going into Reaper. As far as VSTi synths, I love have really been digging the OS Tirus, its a copy of the Access Virus synth. Its got 90s Acid and NIN vibe to it. I also like Arturia's stuff quite a bit, the Mellon V is pretty awesome. Lets you take any samples you might want to use and run it through it. That Faderport 16 looks nice, I want to add some physical knobs and sliders to my setup, but it wont be anything neary as big as that faderport. Oh, if you like adding texture with all types of clipping, I really dig Rift by Minimal Audio. Man, we are not lacking choices these days! Maybe one day I will actually record something! lol Cheers

Ahh, ok, I am on Windows going into Reaper. As far as VSTi synths, I love have really been digging the OS Tirus, its a copy of the Access Virus synth. Its got 90s Acid and NIN vibe to it. I also like Arturia's stuff quite a bit, the Mellon V is pretty awesome. Lets you take any samples you might want to use and run it through it. That Faderport 16 looks nice, I want to add some physical knobs and sliders to my setup, but it wont be anything neary as big as that faderport. Oh, if you like adding texture with all types of clipping, I really dig Rift by Minimal Audio. Man, we are not lacking choices these days!
Yeah, it's crazy the plugins available. Its own money pit if you let it :ROFLMAO:. I'll look into the ones you've mentioned, I've heard the names before.
For the Cerulean Impressions album I did use software synths mainly. A bunch of stuff from Kontakt, Presonus instruments within Studio One, a few 8dio instruments and then AIR Structure 2, XPand, and Vacuum which were in a Protools session.

I was hesitant getting the faderport 16 at first, because the 8 was cheaper and not sure if 16 would be overkill for my needs. Glad I got it though, it has made a positive impact on my workflow - technically and creatively.

Maybe one day I will actually record something! lol Cheers
You should! I wasted a lot of years because I was over-critical of my own music, but life's too short and I think it's important to share it with people. :beer

Last edited:
Yeah, it's crazy the plugins available. Its own money pit if you let it :ROFLMAO:. I'll look into the ones you've mentioned, I've heard the names beforeFor the Cerulean Impressions album I did use software synths mainly. A bunch of stuff from Kontakt, Presonus instruments within Studio One, a few 8dio instruments and then AIR Structure 2, XPand, and Vacuum which were in a Protools session.

I was hesitant getting the faderport 16 at first, because the 8 was cheaper and not sure if 16 would be overkill for my needs. Glad I got it though, it has made a positive impact on my workflow - technically and creatively.

You should! I wasted a lot of years because I was over-critical of my own music, but life's too short and I think it's important to share it with people. :beer
Kontakt is good, but it starts taking up a lot of space. I have never owned a real synth, probably never will. I am more a guitarist that also likes synths. Not a synth guy who happens to like guitar. But you need more than a guitar to make things more interesting, usually. I have seen some cheap things on one of the Chinese site as far as control surfaces go. I just use an Arturia Mini Lab when I want to play with synths. But I saw M Vave stuff that looked decent. Faders and knobs that seem cool for like $30. I normally wouldnt even look at them because I would think they are junk, but I got an M Vave Chocolate bluetooth midi controller and its build quality exceeded my expectations. But there is one little catch.... well two. The software is a pain to navigate and the instructions are the bare minimum.

When I think about recording my own stuff, I start to think everything has been done before and get discouraged. But we are getting new products all the time that SHOULD bring about new things we have never heard.

When I think about recording my own stuff, I start to think everything has been done before and get discouraged. But we are getting new products all the time that SHOULD bring about new things we have never heard.
I get that but you can't let it stop you because we all got something that's unique to us. There are some really cool sounds available at our fingertips these days but I still think the most important aspect is the ear and how we each hear and arrange notes. Just keep working on it!

I get that but you can't let it stop you because we all got something that's unique to us. There are some really cool sounds available at our fingertips these days but I still think the most important aspect is the ear and how we each hear and arrange notes. Just keep working on it!
I appreciate the encouragement. Thanks. Took me a while to even figure out what general direction I wanted to go in because I listen to damn near everything. I am into the lofi thing a bit, I even bought that Chase Bliss Generation Loss mk 2, but I did not get along with it at all, but it led me to getting my Deco, so it all worked out. I guess my general direction will have to be heavier psychedelic with some progressive metal influence.

Back