I'm Such An Idiot, aka, Why Didn't I Think Of Playing It This Way Sooner?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
Working on a harmonic minor legato solo, that's sextuplets, and has lots of phrases where you hammer on 2 notes then pull off 2 notes on one string, then hit one note on a lower string (like: e-9h12h13p12p9 b-13), and the riff either goes back to the same phrasing on the e string, but 1 scale tone lower, or it continues to the next, lower string.

So I was having a hard time picking the lone note on the adjacent string (b, in my example), then also picking the next note on the e string, since they're in quick succession (and yes, I tried economy), and just couldn't get the timing right.

Then I realized, Why pick that note at all? Iow, use a "hammer-on from nowhere," which as it turns out, works just fine. Most of the picked notes are on a down or upbeat, so it was much easier doing it this way.

There's actually 2 parts of the solo where it's a series of 9 notes across 3 strings, and I only had to pick the first one! DUH!!

Love me some "A-HA" moments, that I should've thought of a long time ago. Share 'em if you got 'em!

Back