Subbing

metropolis_4

Shredder
Ever do any subbing or fill-in gigs?

I’ve got a big one coming up next week and I’m nervous. I like to be really prepared for shows and I’ve only got a week to learn the whole show. This is like an audition to get in with a new venue/company for me.

It’s always hard because no matter how good a sub is it always sounds/feels not quite right because everyone is so used to hearing how the primary plays the show.

I feel you 100%.

I used to fill in whenever asked. It feels good to help out fellow working musician friends. But after awhile, the workload to study and pull off the material is rarely worth the time/pay unless it’s something that will lead to a more permanent or recurring role. Most times, if I’m only subbing for a group just once, I rather not bother. I rather just work on all the material I have with all my other permanent groups. But ymmv. Sometimes it’s fun to try something new and good things have come out of me just going somewhere I wouldn’t normally have gone musically. Sometimes it’s not all about the pay too, if the situation is right.

Ever do any subbing or fill-in gigs?

I’ve got a big one coming up next week and I’m nervous. I like to be really prepared for shows and I’ve only got a week to learn the whole show. This is like an audition to get in with a new venue/company for me.

It’s always hard because no matter how good a sub is it always sounds/feels not quite right because everyone is so used to hearing how the primary plays the show.
This "not quite right" mindset is a difficult one.
I'd rather see it in the light of "everyone's elated that they can play or attend the show with your help".
Last year I had to cancel a week of touring because I had corona. The band found a sub and the shows went well. Everyone was happier with the sub than having to cancel.
Given the circumstances, you are first choice.
Star Wars Penguin GIF by Pudgy Penguins

I have done some fill in gigs. I usually knew most of the material but still had to learn or touch up some songs. It is a lot of work to make it sound and look professional. If the band is more of a jam type band it can be easier. It also matters on the level that everyone can play at. If you can communicate well about changes and progressions and be flexible in the songs it can work much better. If the band only knows how to play the songs from beginning to end and can't really veer from that, it can be a challenge.

I have done some fill in gigs. I usually knew most of the material but still had to learn or touch up some songs. It is a lot of work to make it sound and look professional. If the band is more of a jam type band it can be easier. It also matters on the level that everyone can play at. If you can communicate well about changes and progressions and be flexible in the songs it can work much better. If the band only knows how to play the songs from beginning to end and can't really veer from that, it can be a challenge.

This x 1000! You are only as good as the band you are stepping into. I have subbed on
drums and guitar both. Stepping into a professional climate makes it easy and fun. Stepping
into a bad situation with bad weather and fellow musicians just scraping by makes it a nightmare
that cannot end soon enough. :facepalm

I won't sub anymore. I am not sure my brain can handle it at this age. 30-50 I had more capacity
for learning stuff fast and being able to pull it off. My last subbing gig was 2019 for an entire summer.
It was a blast!

I saw this thread pop back up and it brought a memory to my mind. I was asked to sub in on a gig on a Saturday. They asked me on like Wednesday. I pulled something off that I had never pulled off before that and haven't done it since. I was working from my home. I stopped working at 5PM. I immediately started going through their songs and learning songs I didn't know. I worked on songs until around midnight or 1AM. I learned 12 songs in one night and touched up some songs they did that I had not played for a while. I look back and kind of laugh at it now. I have no idea how I kept all of that new material straight in my head. I remember one of the songs I had to have the singer come over to me and hum and sing the beginning of it so I could remember how it started. Once he did that I kicked it off. I had remembered each song and didn't mix any of them up or blend them. The gig was really good and they had me play gigs with them for a little while until they found a new permanent guitar player and he got up to speed. He played some gigs with us and didn't get paid until he was holding it up on his own. We had some real fun going back and forth trading solos. They always wanted me to be their guy but they gigged way too much for what I could put into it. My day jobs have always been fairly demanding and still are.

I am not opposed to skillfully constructed charts and cheat sheets off too the side. If you
have to do the 30-40 songs in a week it is almost necessary, if not outright, vital.

Back