I became my own fear this weekend…

metropolis_4

Shredder
So I had that sub gig I was nervous about. I found out after the first show I played the MD liked the way I played so much better they asked the regular guitarist to start playing it the way I did. Now they want to talk to me about playing more of their shows.

I always have this fear that when I use a sub, my sub is going to do so well that they won’t want me back and I’ll get replaced. I think I just accidentally did that to this guitarist! I feel bad, I wasn’t trying to do that, I was just trying to do a good job covering the shows for them.

All I did was play the parts as they were written. I heard that after I played they asked him to start playing the written parts and he sort of panicked :confused:

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

Good on you. No matter which way everything goes!

Oh wow! It happens. When I quit my last band, it took them like 9 months and something like 6 guitarists, before they found my replacement. Which, because of the bad blood between me and the singer/band leader at the time (total dictator), would've been enough satisfaction for me, but I stayed in touch with the keyboard player.

He told me of several rehearsals where they were telling the new guy, "Tom sorta played it like _____. Can you do that?"

I'm not nearly the best guitarist (nobody is, but I think you get my meaning), but I play very dynamically, and with drive and intensity. As needed, of course. It's one of those things that gets very noticed, once it's lacking. Apparently it was, but the guy was not only laid back in his playing, but also his personality, so he persevered. (I would've been like, "Look. If you don't like the way I play, then find someone else!")

Seriously though, you played how you played, so let the chips fall where they may. I understand what you're saying though, and how you handle the next steps does matter.

I thought you were going to say you played Puddle Of Mudd songs too loud and out of tune at Guitar Center on Saturday morning!

(That or you joined a dad-rock band playing gigs in shorts and sandals with a clip-on tuner and iPad on a music stand.)

Great job playing well at your gig! :beer

Cautionary tale for fellow guitarists. Don't open for Met, or follow him. Just hope to catch him in the midst
of yet another gear crisis. It is your one and only hope.

:LOL:

I thought you were going to say you played Puddle Of Mudd songs too loud and out of tune at Guitar Center on Saturday morning!

(That or you joined a dad-rock band playing gigs in shorts and sandals with a clip-on tuner and iPad on a music stand.)

Great job playing well at your gig! :beer

Haha! Hilarious! :LOL:

If you ever catch me doing this you have my permission to murder me. You can even do it
with an iPad or my own guitar. A clip on tuner might be more challenging. I suppose you could
shove it down my throat as I croak out the lyrics to Blurry. :idk

If we can't take the time to give a shit about how we look for a gig, then how can expect anyone
else to give a shit about whatever we are doing up there. Look like a schmuck, get treated like one.

Yes, I am firmly in the anti-shorts/sandals crowd. Save it for the trip to the Mall, Dad! :beer

So I had that sub gig I was nervous about. I found out after the first show I played the MD liked the way I played so much better they asked the regular guitarist to start playing it the way I did. Now they want to talk to me about playing more of their shows.

I always have this fear that when I use a sub, my sub is going to do so well that they won’t want me back and I’ll get replaced. I think I just accidentally did that to this guitarist! I feel bad, I wasn’t trying to do that, I was just trying to do a good job covering the shows for them.

All I did was play the parts as they were written. I heard that after I played they asked him to start playing the written parts and he sort of panicked :confused:
...so.... what else would you do?
Not do a good job, to make the regular guy look decent?

lil wayne GIF

Back