Eventide H90 then???

Y’all know when that shit was brand new people were having the same arguments, right? There’s a reason all these companies stopped making single space rack processors. Better formats and stuff in general became available. If the 2290 were really irreplaceable they’d still be making one and not their pedals.

Jimi Hendrix Experience Pamela Chougne GIF
This.....is more than suitable.

Y’all know when that s**t was brand new people were having the same arguments, right? There’s a reason all these companies stopped making single space rack processors. Better formats and stuff in general became available. If the 2290 were really irreplaceable they’d still be making one and not their pedals.

In the case of rack gear, I think it's more that it just isn't a popular chasis style right now. No-one wants to use those large refrigerator setups anymore - too costly to transport, take up too much room. And you can get an entire 80's rack setup into a single pedal or a single 2-3U sized unit these days, whereas processing power really limited companies before.

Y’all know when that s**t was brand new people were having the same arguments, right? There’s a reason all these companies stopped making single space rack processors. Better formats and stuff in general became available. If the 2290 were really irreplaceable they’d still be making one and not their pedals.
The 2290 went out of production only when some components became unavailable. They replaced it with the G force and I've never found anyone that thought it sounded as good. TC have been trying to reproduce it in every delay device they have made since but not managed it. Does that make the new ones bad? no but in spite of on paper better specs in the new products they don't sound the same no matter how hard TC have tried. The closest I can get to a 2290 with a pedal is a DD500 but I can get very close with an Axe FX 3. Nothing close from a H9 but surprisingly better results from a Timefactor. This is for replicating 2290 tone not just good delay generically . The big deal with the 2290 is how is sounds like an environment producing the echo and not a stuck on effect. It's not the resolution it is how the effect sounds like it integrates with the dry. It's hard to explain but sanding in front of your rig it is a pretty obvious difference that jack of all high speck new pedals don't seem to be able to get.

The 2290 went out of production only when some components became unavailable. They replaced it with the G force and I've never found anyone that thought it sounded as good. TC have been trying to reproduce it in every delay device they have made since but not managed it. Does that make the new ones bad? no but in spite of on paper better specs in the new products they don't sound the same no matter how hard TC have tried. The closest I can get to a 2290 with a pedal is a DD500 but I can get very close with an Axe FX 3. Nothing close from a H9 but surprisingly better results from a Timefactor. This is for replicating 2290 tone not just good delay generically . The big deal with the 2290 is how is sounds like an environment producing the echo and not a stuck on effect. It's not the resolution it is how the effect sounds like it integrates with the dry. It's hard to explain but sanding in front of your rig it is a pretty obvious difference that jack of all high speck new pedals don't seem to be able to get.
I feel like this is the argument people make every time Mesa releases a new Mark series amp. "It doesn't sound like the IIC+!" Then Mesa tries to explain "you know, we tried several real IICs and then made something that sounds like those." "But it does not sound like my IIC+!" the nay-sayers cry.

Maybe they are right, but at the same time people enjoy the convenience of not having to lug a big, expensive rack unit around or can enjoy all the other tones a Mark V for example has. I enjoy a nice tape delay, but have no interest in owning a real tape echo device. So for me it's irrelevant if it absolutely nails every aspect of it because all I care about is that it sounds good.

I've started applying the same approach to digital modelers where it doesn't matter if it's 1:1 authentic as long as it sounds great to me.

Isn't the whole thing with the 2290 the fact that it gave people those super epic "effecty" delays ala The Edge??

When I think of "environmental echo" the 2290 is the furthest thing away from my mind to be perfectly honest. But maybe I'm missing something??

I feel like this is the argument people make every time Mesa releases a new Mark series amp. "It doesn't sound like the IIC+!" Then Mesa tries to explain "you know, we tried several real IICs and then made something that sounds like those." "But it does not sound like my IIC+!" the nay-sayers cry.

Maybe they are right, but at the same time people enjoy the convenience of not having to lug a big, expensive rack unit around or can enjoy all the other tones a Mark V for example has. I enjoy a nice tape delay, but have no interest in owning a real tape echo device. So for me it's irrelevant if it absolutely nails every aspect of it because all I care about is that it sounds good.

I've started applying the same approach to digital modelers where it doesn't matter if it's 1:1 authentic as long as it sounds great to me.
This is true but I like the core tone and the way it blends far more with the 2290 . But at the end of the day good is good and it has to be practical.

Isn't the whole thing with the 2290 the fact that it gave people those super epic "effecty" delays ala The Edge??

When I think of "environmental echo" the 2290 is the furthest thing away from my mind to be perfectly honest. But maybe I'm missing something??
It’s how it sounds bigger and not stuck on top with a fake sheen over. Have you a/b tested MXR phase 90s ?
The custom shop vintage reissue sounds bigger than the new stock one. This is a perfect example of a reissue that sounds exactly like the original. I would love it if the H90 sounded like a 2290 if you wanted it too but it just doesn't.

It’s how it sounds bigger and not stuck on top with a fake sheen over. Have you a/b tested MXR phase 90s ?
The custom shop vintage reissue sounds bigger than the new stock one. This is a perfect example of a reissue that sounds exactly like the original. I would love it if the H90 sounded like a 2290 if you wanted it too but it just doesn't.

Do you have the H90? and have you experimented awhile with it to find out if it does or doesn't?

Do you have the H90? and have you experimented awhile with it to find out if it does or doesn't?
I just sent it back. I had the H9 for a few years too. It’s good obviously but I don’t use many different sounds and it doesn’t do the ones I do use as well as I want it to. I was hoping for a H3000 de tune and a 2290 in a pedal but it seems I’m not going to get it from anything. My reverb taste is very much vintage Lexicon and it can’t do that either.

I just sent it back. I had the H9 for a few years too. It’s good obviously but I don’t use many different sounds and it doesn’t do the ones I do use as well as I want it to. I was hoping for a H3000 de tune and a 2290 in a pedal but it seems I’m not going to get it from anything. My reverb taste is very much vintage Lexicon and it can’t do that either.
Have you tried the Meris Mercury 7? It’s really good.

Where did you send it back? I’ll hit them up and buy that POS that “just sits on top”. :rofl

Doesn't really address my questions ....

As someone who really like the "vintage digital" delay stuff, the DIG is amazing. I've got the v.2. I won't say it's better than the DD-500's, but I personally prefer it. I wish I still had the H9 to compare it against.
I like the tones but prefer the DD 500s interface and parameters available. I could certainly use it over a H9 for what I want though.

Don’t be stupid. Much of modern gear objectively has better components, yet so many of us enjoy the musicality of the old gear, be it analog or digital. You’re just picking and choosing what’s “good”, and calling it “fact”.
This is a similar issue to “ better or prefer “
If modern technology and components are objectively better but don’t necessarily sound better in a musical context they aren’t really better in all applications. Analog or digital music players, the new technology is not always better sounding, it has a ton of other advantages but just from the sound quality perspective it is not guaranteed.

I think it’s like when people swapped the multiple amp mega rigs for AxeFx . They certainly didn’t do it for the tone. The tone was “good enough “ but the other considerations came in to play.

Back