ENGL Appreciation Thread

spawnofthesith

Shredder
Post pics, wax poetic, or otherwise fellate ENGL amps here

I think the ENGL high gain sound was the first tone I really fell in love with. Back when I was just a boy on HCAF it seemed like they got a fair amount of hate (quality? too much gain? who knows) but I feel like I don't see much hate online these days, which is a good thing.

When I was 16 after saving all my money for an eternity I scored an absolutely insane deal on a MF scratch n dent Steve Morse model. That thing was absolutely nuts. Monster amp. I ultimately ended up trading it for a Mark V but wouldn't mind another one day.

Flash forward to now, scored an insane deal on an ENGL Thunder head about a year ago. It's running KT66s and is a little beast. Love the simplicity of it. Really easy to get a gorgeous clean tone and a crushing high gain tone despite the shared EQ and and gain knobs.

C6-B0-E698-EEF8-493-F-A8-C4-FE8-F2-B5-FBB79.jpg

I have a weird opinion of Engl. Always wanted one when I was too poor to have one. Then got bombarded reading forum posts about how the Powerball doesn't cut in the mix blahblahblah. Still like to try one :satan

I have a weird opinion of Engl. Always wanted one when I was too poor to have one. Then got bombarded reading forum posts about how the Powerball doesn't cut in the mix blahblahblah. Still like to try one :satan
Yeah, that almost put me off the Engl Powerball module for the Synergy only to find when I did get it that it might be the best module in the entire line up. The PB was like the metal flavor of the month and then everyone did a 180 on it with the 'doesn't cut' complaint. Engl responded with rev 2 of the amp but apparently the damage was done because the poor PB is largely ignored now, it seems.

Yeah, that almost put me off the Engl Powerball module for the Synergy only to find when I did get it that it might be the best module in the entire line up. The PB was like the metal flavor of the month and then everyone did a 180 on it with the 'doesn't cut' complaint. Engl responded with rev 2 of the amp but apparently the damage was done because the poor PB is largely ignored now, it seems.
How are Engls in the Fractal? I can't get away from the Rectos or the GD 5150s :cuss:satan

How are Engls in the Fractal? I can't get away from the Rectos or the GD 5150s :cuss:satan
LOL. Sounds like you are more focused than me. It is hard not to just fall into amp browsing when I use the Fractal.

Maybe this'll help you jump into ADHD pit that is the FAS high gain amp collection: The Savage may be the best pure Brootz amp in the Fractal line up. Along with the 5150 variants (but of course).

LOL. Sounds like you are more focused than me. It is hard not to just fall into amp browsing when I use the Fractal.

Maybe this'll help you jump into ADHD pit that is the FAS high gain amp collection: The Savage may be the best pure Brootz amp in the Fractal line up. Along with the 5150 variants (but of course).
I'm working on the weekly challenge riffs this week and I am going "heavy". I need all the strength I can get to stay on task :brick:rofl

Funny, I just tried a Fractal Engl this past weekend, for the first time. I don’t know why I’ve avoided them this entire time, probably the same reason I keep forgetting that I love the Splawn models way more than I ever remember every time I play them. I always go back to my home bases with Mesa and Peavey out of habit.

I’ve never played one in person that I can recall, I can’t even think of a time I’ve seen one in person that Steve Morse wasn’t playing. Not sure why these never popped up on my radar, there’s no real reason outside of never seeing one in person to try.

I kind of ignored ENGL for a long time until I saw that Vivian Campbell has been playing them live with Last In Line for a few years.
LOVE his tone in this live video! I stupidly assumed that ENGL was all about super saturated high gain only, but I love the old-school Marshall flavour in this video.

Also check out how smooth Viv plays the solo - like he could do it in his sleep at this point. :rofl

74683F3C-73ED-4BE6-9FAC-E28343BD0AAA.jpeg

I partake.

Fireball100 has never let me down. Strong clean channel that can do pristine cleans to a nasty crunch depending on preference. Lead channel is just fantastic. Tight without being compressed. Fantastic clarity under gain. If you are deliberate with the gain you can get some awesome sleazy 80’s metal tones, and about a rat hair up the gain dial it just goes hard. (At 8:30 is pissed off 800 territory, at 8:45 it’s Judgement Night) Doesn’t need an OD, but you can slam it with one and gallop into the darkness.

The Synergy Powerball module is absolutely fantastic. There are some truly great punchy rock tones in the module, beyond just the uber-gain tones. This module is so good that it’s what led me down the path to the Fireball.

ENGL is awesome. Dead simple amps to dial in, and surprisingly versatile. I haven’t played anything with the ENGL name on it that wasn’t badass.

:satan

ENGL Fireball on Helix is what I used for this it turned out pretty good

Damn dude! You're effing great at copping tones! If I didn't know that was your cover, from the opening notes I would've thought it was the original recording.

Was that just your guitar, or was it blended in with the original?

Damn dude! You're effing great at copping tones! If I didn't know that was your cover, from the opening notes I would've thought it was the original recording.

Was that just your guitar, or was it blended in with the original?
blended i record with the original i do lower the guitars with EQ'ing and play mine louder can hear my part on the righ which is where i record, there are also parts that i add in that Tony does not do just my little touch
still a noob at recording but im getting better
:idk

Last edited:
Back