ENGL Appreciation Thread

I bought an Engl Ironball based on playing the Mercuriall U530 plugin - I did eventually sell it on mainly because it was very loud for my environment but it was a great amp.

I’ve wanted to try an Ironball. (I haven’t since I own a FB) Awesome size and I like all the features they packed into it.

I’ve wanted to try an Ironball. (I haven’t since I own a FB) Awesome size and I like all the features they packed into it.
I had the original version - the cleanish channel could do a pretty good blues sound with the gain cranked. 2nd channel was very good as well and a boost mode as well.

Digging it a lot, very fun piece of gear for relatively little money.

- Its very noticeably a plate driven EQ in how it behaves. Sounds best cranking stuff, you kind of lose tone if the EQ is lower.
- the higher gain mode almost feels pedal boosted in a good way, tight, bouncy, clear
- Nice and bright in a good way. Not the hugest low end, but a decent poweramp with a resonance control helps a lot.
- Contour button is weird, but in a good way. Does those ENGL tones like Soilwork - Sworn to a Great Divide
- Clean tones are quite nice, high gain tones are nice, crunch tones are sort of flat/dull.
- Mercuriall and STL both have E530 models, both sounded and behaved very close to mine. Probably even closer if I use the same poweramp
- Sounds pretty dead nuts on to the Brainworx Savage plugin, and also Helix's Fireball model. ENGL=ENGL=ENGL
- the process of dialling in is SO different with real gear. And unfortunately, just a much better experience. The way the EQ behaves was noticeable within about half a second. With plugins, Im not sure I ever even paid much attention
- Its quite cool maxing the treble control out and using the high mids as the treble. With other settings the treble can kind of act like a presence

I think sound wise, I could live with plugins, but the actual hands on experience was totally worth trying.

Digging it a lot, very fun piece of gear for relatively little money.

- Mercuriall and STL both have E530 models, both sounded and behaved very close to mine. Probably even closer if I use the same poweramp
Always liked the Mercurial stuff - the new 5150 they have done sounds pretty good as well

Here's my ENGL's.
I haven't rotated the Morse and Inferno in for a bit, but they're still ones I enjoy playing.

I need to redo the cover on the Morse. I like the color, but I flubbed when recovering it. I didn't get all the old glue fully off in spots so it looks bumpy in those places. I also did it before switching to a better glue so it started pulling up in some noticeable spots too.

1697230913953.png

I want to recover the Inferno too. I have some red sparkle vinyl that matches perfectly to make it all red. With other projects taking priority I haven't gotten around to that yet.

1697231274974.png

My Metalmaster 20 is a bit too scooped sounding for me on its own. I recently have been putting a 9 band EQ in the loop and have found a really good tone. Bumping the low to mid mids makes it sound pretty thick.

1697231364728.png

And finally, my Synergy Powerball and Savage modules. I was running them through the Morse' power sectipn, but switched to a Fryette PS100 Powerstation. They sound slightly different, but equally as good through each.

1697231571431.png

Last edited:
The Invader was the only one I could not really bond with so I sold it. Also have a Fireball 100 as well as an Engl Powerball 1 and 2. Used to have two Ironballs too.
What didn't you like about the Invader? they seem quite divisive among people, I was offered one a while ago but passed as it seemed like a gamble...

What didn't you like about the Invader? they seem quite divisive among people, I was offered one a while ago but passed as it seemed like a gamble...
The clean and the crunch channel were amazing. Channel 3 was good but not great to me. Something about the high mids didn't sit right for me. It was always like there was a blanket over the cab. Just not direct and in your face enough. Kind of like an anti Marshall. Channel 4 was just weird to me but I am not a lead player. I debated keeping it for a long time because it is a cool amp but ultimately, I was never happy playing it for long. I'd always start tweaking it after a little while but never get where I wanted to end up.

Here's my ENGL's.
I haven't rotated the Morse and Inferno in for a bit, but they're still ones I enjoy playing.

I need to redo the cover on the Morse. I like the color, but I flubbed when recovering it. I didn't get all the old glue fully off in spots so it looks bumpy in those places. I also did it before switching to a better glue so it started pulling up in some noticeable spots too.

View attachment 11887

I want to recover the Inferno too. I have some red sparkle vinyl that matches perfectly to make it all red. With other projects taking priority I haven't gotten around to that yet.

View attachment 11889

My Metalmaster 20 is a bit too scooped sounding for me on its own. I recently have been putting a 9 band EQ in the loop and have found a really good tone. Bumping the low to mid mids makes it sound pretty thick.

View attachment 11891

And finally, my Synergy Powerball and Savage modules. I was running them through the Morse' power sectipn, but switched to a Fryette PS100 Powerstation. They sound slightly different, but equally as good through each.

View attachment 11892
Great to see another dude who takes the looks of the amplifiers seriously and gets them sorted.
🤘🏻

Back