DSL100H C19 Cap Mod

Byrdman

Roadie
So when I got this amp, the Red was pretty much unusable due to the 470pF bright cap with the shared tone stack. When the Green Crunch sounded great, the Red was squealy and shrill, and when the Red was manageable, the Green was too muffled and muddy sounding so I clipped one of the legs a few weeks ago.

After playing it for a few weeks, it was much better, but the Red just didn't have "It". Sounded like it went in the opposite direction and didn't have any nuts to it.

This morning I put 2x 100pF Caps in parallel to get 200pF total and it sounds great now. Just a bit of higher frequency when switching from Green to Red and matching the volume is easier to dial in as well. If I ever do this again, I will be getting a better soldering iron and probably splurge on a station for it as well.
C19 mod 200pF sm.jpg

It sounds like you've successfully fine-tuned your amp's tone to achieve a more balanced and satisfying sound between the Red and Green channels, despite the initial challenges. Investing in quality soldering equipment for future modifications seems like a wise plan to ensure smooth adjustments.

It sounds like you've successfully fine-tuned your amp's tone to achieve a more balanced and satisfying sound between the Red and Green channels, despite the initial challenges. Investing in quality soldering equipment for future modifications seems like a wise plan to ensure smooth adjustments.
Thanks! For now, anyway:rofl

I may put in a 3 way switch if/when I have to go back in with different values. Which after looking at that solder joint on the left in the pic, looks like a future possibility. I did push it with my finger and it held, but no telling what the future may bring. I will have a better setup when/if it comes lose.

Mine would not balance with the removal, maybe the power difference was the reason. Now it balances better than it ever has.

DIY at its finest! (y)

Doing an amp mod yourself - with the manufacturers guidance/approval (Dave Friedman/Mini Dirty Shirley and Nik Azam/ODS20 in my case),
is so rewarding! And it's cheap!!!

I don't remember values but it was capacitor value changes also.
AMAZING what an impact a few uF's either up or down has. Cool video by Pete about it.

Last edited:
Thanks! For now, anyway:rofl

I may put in a 3 way switch if/when I have to go back in with different values. Which after looking at that solder joint on the left in the pic, looks like a future possibility. I did push it with my finger and it held, but no telling what the future may bring. I will have a better setup when/if it comes lose.
Good luck on your project.

Back