NAD Bogner 101b - footswitch issue

Jim Roseberry

Groupie
Just grabbed the last Ecstasy 101b from Sweetwater.
Appears to have been returned (not wrapped in plastic and no manual/documentation).
Footswitch is acting odd.
The green channel 1 light stays on... even when switching to the blue and red channels (2 and 3).
I don't remember the switch doing that when I had the 20th Ecstasy.
I assume that's not normal?

Otherwise, the amp sounds fine.
When I first fired it up, there was some crackling and occasional loud pops.
Those seem to be gone.

Just grabbed the last Ecstasy 101b from Sweetwater.
Appears to have been returned (not wrapped in plastic and no manual/documentation).
Footswitch is acting odd.
The green channel 1 light stays on... even when switching to the blue and red channels (2 and 3).
I don't remember the switch doing that when I had the 20th Ecstasy.
I assume that's not normal?

Otherwise, the amp sounds fine.
When I first fired it up, there was some crackling and occasional loud pops.
Those seem to be gone.

But you told me you preferred the 20th last week, Jim. Maybe the 101b heard you say that?? :idk

Might as well just send it to me.

Jinkx Monsoon Buddy GIF by BuzzFeed

Do the Green channel lights stay on when you unplug the footswitch and use the channel switching buttons on the back?

The LEDs on the amp act normal (whether the footswitch is connected or not).
Green LED is only on if the first channel is selected.
The problem with the Green LED always on seems to be an issue with the footswitch.

Static/crackle noise was back (again) today when I first turned on the amp.
That noise settles and subsides after a minute or so.

I've texted my guy at Sweetwater twice (Friday and Saturday)... and thus far he hasn't responded.
Going to call him tomorrow.

Gotcha.

Well, whether or not the amp was returned by another customer, if it's behaving weirdly like that in both function and sound, my advice would be to return it and wait for new stock. That's what I'd do if it was my money anyway. Part of the advantages that come with buying music gear from big box stores is that they usually have pretty good policies when it comes to this kind of thing, especially Sweetwater.

So even if it means doing a straight up return without knowing when the next 101B is going to be stocked there, I'd still return the amp and wait to buy a new one. Hell, ask your rep to be put on a list and notified when they get new ones in stock so you'll be much more likely to get the next one. Ecstasy 101B's are awesome and quite a few people (including me) consider them to be lifetime amps. I think waiting a little while longer to get a good one is probably worth it.

Gotcha.

Well, whether or not the amp was returned by another customer, if it's behaving weirdly like that in both function and sound, my advice would be to return it and wait for new stock. That's what I'd do if it was my money anyway. Part of the advantages that come with buying music gear from big box stores is that they usually have pretty good policies when it comes to this kind of thing, especially Sweetwater.

So even if it means doing a straight up return without knowing when the next 101B is going to be stocked there, I'd still return the amp and wait to buy a new one. Hell, ask your rep to be put on a list and notified when they get new ones in stock so you'll be much more likely to get the next one. Ecstasy 101B's are awesome and quite a few people (including me) consider them to be lifetime amps. I think waiting a little while longer to get a good one is probably worth it.
Good advice. Thanks!
I'm going to make the trek to Sweetwater tomorrow.

Back