Help tame my Stealth 100…

JerEvil

Roadie
So I both love and hate my Stealth 100 6L6.

I asked James brown and this was his response on taming it a bit. I’ll ask him for sure but wondering how many and which spots?

I know V2 - 5 are for the red channel, v4 is the green and V6 is the blue.

I’d like to just knock the gain down like 10% and make it a bit more usable. Has anyone done this? Thoughts? What did you use?

Attachments

• IMG_3206.png
    IMG_3206.png
    588 KB · Views: 62
Very timely conversation as I have been circling the wagons on a 50 watter. Because a 4ft wide 100 watt amp isn't ideal for my cabinet situation :oops:If you end up trying James' suggestion out; report back.

Also; how gainy does the green channel get if you dime the gain control? I've watched a ton of vids on this amp but no one but me is apparently thinking of playing Love Shack riffs on it :whistle

If you do this with a Fryette amp, they void your warranty and the ex-UK distributor turns into a proper gestapo yes-man. :rofl

Since you have the Stealth, have you considered measuring your bias and adjusting it? I did this on my Stealth 50 and noticed a bit of difference in how the over gain and saturation of the amp sounded. To be honest I ended up splitting the difference between the colder bias that the factory seems to send them out with (~45mv, 90mv for the 100 watt), and the "spec'ed" bias at 50% dissipation (~60mv, 120mv for the 100 watt). Maybe yours is biased hotter than it needs to be? I know the 5150s in general seem to be preferred to be ran cold for many folks... but it is worth at least checking out!

So did some digging on a vid for this. I think this guy is from GGF? Not sure:

In the comments section; someone recommended the following:
"12AY7 in V1, V2, and V4 of the Stealth. Can still do molten gain all day long, but the whole amp is far more usable and the cleans clean up if you want them to."
as well as
"I had a chat with the designer of the amp a few years ago, Howard Kaplan, specifically asking about how to simmer down the gain. He told me to not use 12AT7's. He recommended 12AY7's or 12AU7's. I didn't ask why regarding the 12AT7. My basic understanding is that the 12AT7 is better suited to stages that serve reverb and vibrato, like in a Deluxe Reverb, not so much for gain stages. For some reason "the internet" has latched on to the idea that the 12AT7 is the go-to gain reduction tube (I thought so too for a long time) but there are other options. A 5751 might be a good choice as well. Either way, have fun!"
I think the everything cranked green channel Plexi mode in the vid above.

If you don't want to mess with your tubes, or change bias, look into running the JHS Little Black Box through your FX Loop.
Little Black Box

Its like a passive Variac. I use Variac as a reference because your using an EVH amp, so I'm assuming you're in the know.

Since you have the Stealth, have you considered measuring your bias and adjusting it? I did this on my Stealth 50 and noticed a bit of difference in how the over gain and saturation of the amp sounded. To be honest I ended up splitting the difference between the colder bias that the factory seems to send them out with (~45mv, 90mv for the 100 watt), and the "spec'ed" bias at 50% dissipation (~60mv, 120mv for the 100 watt). Maybe yours is biased hotter than it needs to be? I know the 5150s in general seem to be preferred to be ran cold for many folks... but it is worth at least checking out!

One of the best recommendations so far.

So did some digging on a vid for this. I think this guy is from GGF? Not sure:

In the comments section; someone recommended the following:
"12AY7 in V1, V2, and V4 of the Stealth. Can still do molten gain all day long, but the whole amp is far more usable and the cleans clean up if you want them to."
as well as
"I had a chat with the designer of the amp a few years ago, Howard Kaplan, specifically asking about how to simmer down the gain. He told me to not use 12AT7's. He recommended 12AY7's or 12AU7's. I didn't ask why regarding the 12AT7. My basic understanding is that the 12AT7 is better suited to stages that serve reverb and vibrato, like in a Deluxe Reverb, not so much for gain stages. For some reason "the internet" has latched on to the idea that the 12AT7 is the go-to gain reduction tube (I thought so too for a long time) but there are other options. A 5751 might be a good choice as well. Either way, have fun!"
I think the everything cranked green channel Plexi mode in the vid above.

Well done.
You are on point.
5751 FTW.
That’s a great tube for the phase inverter in JVM’s.
Slows down the red channel enough to make sense with it.
AT7’s also will add noise in hard rockin’ amps.
It’ll add a round’ness to the punch & bite.
Like a baby’s diaper??-that’s some funny shit!
No pun!!!’-ALWAYS PUN🎯

Well done.
You are on point.
5751 FTW.
That’s a great tube for the phase inverter in JVM’s.
Slows down the red channel enough to make sense with it.
AT7’s also will add noise in hard rockin’ amps.
It’ll add a round’ness to the punch & bite.
Like a baby’s diaper??-that’s some funny shit!
No pun!!!’-ALWAYS PUN🎯
The JJ 5751 ain’t too shabby.
I usually run NOS Jan Philips 5751 FTW.

I remember ordering my steak at the
Carnivore House onetime and the server
asked me “ Would you like any steak sauce?’

Me: “Yes, I’ll have the Heinz 5751 sauce…”

The server fervently nodded and marched towards the kitchen stopping halfway,
turning around and comes back with a puzzled look on her face.., then turned around again and went back to the kitchen and brought
A1 & Heinz 57 steak sauce back to the table.
(I was like..what in the…f*ck did I say earlier…?)

Me “Right on..?”

I actually didn’t use either the A1 or Heinz 57.
-a proper steak DOES NOT need ANY
steak sauce💯& they knocked it outta the park!!
Stoked!!, now I’m hungry!!

Last edited:
Poo! I thought the AT7 was a good substitute but apparently it's not. And it's the only non-AX7 I have laying around. Guess we'll keep it stock for now :satan

Back