5150 Iconic blew me away.

Any particular reason? FWIW at low volumes the 1x12 Boss Katana Artist I found has a lot of low end in my room that I have to manage. Amps never get cranked up in my house...
10" is boxy AF in the room. There are loads of great clips of the Friedman DS mini 10" combo that sound GREAT recorded with a close mic. But that thing, even loaded with a quality 10" greenback, sounded like a practice amp in the room. A Princeton is a very specific sound that . . . a whole lot of folks don't get along with and so move up to a 12" speaker.

To be frank, for a guy that has a history of being so hyper-focused on the cab block in modeler land, you sure have spent a lot of your amp time working with setups where the cab/speaker is by FAR the weakest link.

EDIT TO ADD: The DS Mini sounds KILLER as a head driving a 1x12

Last edited:
10" is boxy AF in the room. There are loads of great clips of the Friedman DS mini 10" combo that sound GREAT recorded with a close mic. But that thing, even loaded with a quality 10" greenback, sounded like a practice amp in the room. A Princeton is a very specific sound that . . . a whole lot of folks don't get along with and so move up to a 12" speaker.

To be frank, for a guy that has a history of being so hyper-focused on the cab block in modeler land, you sure have spent a lot of your amp time working with setups where the cab/speaker is by FAR the weakest link.
To piggyback on this; if you can never really crank something up beyond the studio monitor level; an amp experience is never going to be as fun as it really should be, imo.

Oh man, The Anti-Gassers are coming on like Ghostbusters!!

ghostbusters GIF

:rofl

To piggyback on this; if you can never really crank something up beyond the studio monitor level; an amp experience is never going to be as fun as it really should be, imo.
I agree to a great degree. I even find modelers through "FRFR" are better louder. These days with the great masters volumes… a tube head into a decent sized cab at studio monitor level to me and what I use, I’ve found that sounds and feels very comparable to a modeler at that volume level but that’s very amp and cab specific and modelers are way more consistent for that application. ymmv

I agree to a great degree. I even find modelers through "FRFR" are better louder. These days with the great masters volumes… a tube head into a decent sized cab at studio monitor level to me and what I use, I’ve found that sounds and feels very comparable to a modeler at that volume level but that’s very amp and cab specific and modelers are way more consistent for that application. ymmv
I would never discount anyone wanting that experience. I just think low volume anything is never fun.

Wish I wouldn’t have clicked on this thread, I’ve already got too many purchases planned for this year. But this looks like it might be exactly the kind of thing I’ve been looking for. A Marshall voiced channel that can be set crunchy and clean it up with your volume knob plus a good lead channel with an effects loop at a good price with enough power for most gigs. Literally exactly what I want. There are other things that do that but for a lot more money but I just can’t justify them for how much I’d use them. This I can justify, dang it…

D

EDIT TO ADD: The DS Mini sounds KILLER as a head driving a 1x12

I mean that’s why I appreciate you guys. The voice of reason lol

Realistically what I should be doing is just putting the money towards a stereo pair of 1x12 cabs with a stereo SS amp driving them. I really dig not having to fuss with impulses. But I love stereo.

The swirling sounds of 130db of guitar tones is heaven until you turn it down and all you hear is tinnitus haha

100%. At this point all I would hear is pain and crackling. and then the ringing louder than before.

I know it’s not cool but my goal is killer guitar tone at like 75-80 db.

I mean that’s why I appreciate you guys. The voice of reason lol

Realistically what I should be doing is just putting the money towards a stereo pair of 1x12 cabs with a stereo SS amp driving them. I really dig not having to fuss with impulses. But I love stereo.

100%. At this point all I would hear is pain and crackling. and then the ringing louder than before.

I got the Synergy rig specifically to stave off GAS for amps that are wildly impractical for my situation…

…and I still get the random wild hair up my ass some weekends.

Stereo cab(s) would likely go a long way for you, especially with the IR-X on hand as a dose of analog methadone when needed.

I think for amps to be enjoyable, especially at lower volumes, there does have to be some degree of letting go for those that have been deep in modeler world for a while. Either let the amp do what it’s gonna do to some degree or spend an eternity rotating through speakers and/ or various tone shaping “boost” options, etc. it’s hard to go back once you are used to having so many ways to deal with the mess at the very bottom and very top of the guitar frequency spectrum.

It’s been funny seeing opinions of the Iconic shift from its initial launch. That thing was torn apart when it was first launched and now on the various forums I post on, at least every 2-3 weeks there’s a “The Iconic is pretty good” thread.

I’ve only played the combo so far, but if I were hurtin’ for cash and needed a high gain head, that Iconic would be #1 on my list unless I found a 6505 for cheaper used.

It’s been funny seeing opinions of the Iconic shift from its initial launch. That thing was torn apart when it was first launched and now on the various forums I post on, at least every 2-3 weeks there’s a “The Iconic is pretty good” thread.

I’ve only played the combo so far, but if I were hurtin’ for cash and needed a high gain head, that Iconic would be #1 on my list unless I found a 6505 for cheaper used.
The first demos from EVHGear were pretty terrible. Took a while to recover from that...

I hear that, (no pun intended). I just recently decided to use my Tech 21 Trademark 60 for most gigs instead of my Grandmeister Deluxe 40. Even with the lower wattage settings on the Grandmeister, I just can't get it "there" for a lot of my gigs, so it's not worth using until I have a gig where I can, which is usually in the summer.

Back