Do Your Animals Like Your Playing?

My little man loves to come in the "studio" and sleep on the couch behind me while I'm twiddling away or listening to the latest "do something" challenge toons.

My wife calls it the boys room.
20211110_191847.jpg

My family has three cats. They don't mind if I play quietly while they are in the room, but any time it gets over about 70 dB they typically go to another room. If I'm home alone and the volume gets up to 110 dB they flee to the farthest corner of the house.

Over the years we've had 4 snow dog rescues in this order. Alaskan malamute, Siberian husky Great Pyrenees mix, Siberian husky, Siberian husky.

Our current Siberian husky will come into the studio when I'm playing music and balls up in a curl. He seems to particularly enjoy synthesizer sounds. The Alaskan Malamute would like to hang out with us during band practice. The other two left the area.

My conclusion is some dogs enjoy jazz /fusion/ noise music and some don't.

Attachments

• 488.jpeg
    488.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 4
We have two cats. The one cat runs out the cat door to the porch as soon as I start setting up gear to play (which includes a cajon that I hit with a bass drum pedal). He sometimes gives me a bitchy meow right before he bursts out his door. The other cat is indifferent, unless I am playing acoustic. In those situations, she will just sit and stare and me in an adoring fashion for as long as I play! Definitely my biggest fan when I play acoustic. Maybe it's a sign to put down the electronics ;~))

Fun stories all!!

Dog/cat: hell no.

If I crank up my amp and start rocking I might see my cat ducking/dashing out of the closet to escape across the house. It's pretty damn funny, actually. If the dog is in the room, he'll leave but periodically come back to see if im okay.

My daughter's parakeet rocks tf out and sings along tho.

My cat comes running and meowing if I break a string!

He KNOWS the sound it makes! Isn't like it's happened a lot, but he goes nuts trying to grab it. Funny watching him trying to get a visual fix on it.
The cats do love it when I change strings. Used strings are a great kitty toy.

If I keep it tv volume my dog just sleeps through it. I had a parrot that wanted to be in whatever room I happened to turn the amp on. He would hear the click of the jack into guitar and let out a "come get me" type yell.

He loved when I'd mimic him with slide and some verb. I miss that fella too. I've had a few and we all know they can live for years, much longer bonding time.

I don't got no animals. But I was at a friends house and when I started playing blues on his acoustic guitar, his dog walked away very indignantly. My friend plays mostly country, so the dog may not like more aggressive riffs like blues and boogie. Or could be that the dog just hates my playing :giggle:

My one cat's behavior has altered a wee bit. Now, he voraciously paws at the door - extended to his full height and screams to be let in if he hears me playing.

However, if he initially follows me into the room and I don't start playing quickly enough for him, he'll stand at the door wanting out. Then soon as I play the first note, he turns around and jumps in my desk chair. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This cat is something else. Crazy personality!

My one cat's behavior has altered a wee bit. Now, he voraciously paws at the door - extended to his full height and screams to be let in if he hears me playing.

However, if he initially follows me into the room and I don't start playing quickly enough for him, he'll stand at the door wanting out. Then soon as I play the first note, he turns around and jumps in my desk chair. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This cat is something else. Crazy personality!
That's crazy! Mine has so many different moods/traits that display at any given time. This morning I caught him literally chasing his tail. Which I'd never seen him do.

Back