Do we need to talk about this new rehashed Katana turd?

Seems fine to me, although I'll be honest neither the Katana (which I owned) and Catalyst (which I still own and is my only amp at the moment) did much for me. The Katana is basically the replacement for the L6 Spider (amp for beginners) and the Peavey Bandit (cheap SS for gigging) wrapped in one.

Seems fine to me, although I'll be honest neither the Katana (which I owned) and Catalyst (which I still own and is my only amp at the moment) did much for me. The Katana is basically the replacement for the L6 Spider (amp for beginners) and the Peavey Bandit (cheap SS for gigging) wrapped in one.
Is there anything new in this? Is this like Mk III or what in the actual heck is going on with these amps? I don't think I have ever seen a series of pieces that get touted as a new/updated version without any sort of clarity to me what in fact is new/updated?

Is there anything new in this? Is this like Mk III or what in the actual heck is going on with these amps? I don't think I have ever seen a series of pieces that get touted as a new/updated version without any sort of clarity to me what in fact is new/updated?

I think this is the head version of the Artist which wasn't previously available.

Seems like it might have the cab modeling of the GT1k?

• Hmm
Reactions: JTI
There's two new amps: the Artist head, which is just the Artist MkII in a headshell. Fine, makes sense. I guess.

Then there's the 50 MkII EX, which has GA-FC compatibility and a couple other things.......for WAY TOO much money. Anyone with half a brain would spend $40 more and just get the 100.

Even as someone who has owned (and gigged) some of the most iconic amps in history, I will say this. Today's "beginner" amps are yesterdays "high end" as far as capability goes. It's that way across the board now no matter the maker. It's just progress. The good thing is that the higher end stuff has gotten even better too. As a Sound Engineer I have backlined Nationals with a MKI Katana head and not one player complained afterwards. I had a couple players who insisted on toobs but what choice do you have if you didnt bring your own? Both those guys told me afterwards they really liked playing through the Katana and a few others told me they loved it. Was great at the mixing desk too. The only other mic'd amp I've had such an easy time mixing were the Mesa Lonestar amps.

As far as end user experience, ok I get it believe me. I'd much rather use a good tube amp on stage with me than any Katana or Bandit but it wouldn't be the same as "I bought all this ART and ADA rack gear for thousands and it sounds meh" experience I used to have.

Anything moving the needle forward on the low end is great to me. Seeing the technology trickle down is just great.

I have an Artist MKII combo. The head would have been a nice option at the time. The 50 watt combo should be $299 IMO.

Anything moving the needle forward on the low end is great to me. Seeing the technology trickle down is just great.

I have an Artist MKII combo. The head would have been a nice option at the time. The 50 watt combo should be $299 IMO.
I agree.

Am I the only one who doesn’t like built in effects? I’d rather them concentrate 100% of the power to the amp tones, not allocate for effects too. But I guess the target market would be expecting all that though.

Yeah, I was just thinking the other day that the Boss Katana gets a refresh like every six months, but not sure what's what or what got changed.
I agree.

Am I the only one who doesn’t like built in effects? I’d rather them concentrate 100% of the power to the amp tones, not allocate for effects too. But I guess the target market would be expecting all that though.
I am the polar opposite, I got my Katana strictly because it had every Boss stompbox in it. :LOL:

Yeah, I was just thinking the other day that the Boss Katana gets a refresh like every six months, but not sure what's what or what got changed.

I am the polar opposite, I got my Katana strictly because it had every Boss stompbox in it. :LOL:
I don’t know why it bothers me, I could just……not use them.

Back