Do Something Challenge Discussion Thread

Drew's clearly weighting the system to his advantage already. I can just feel it!!! :rofl

Seriously, I am cool with whatever you decide, Brother. :beer

It'll be fun and rewarding if we make it so, and not because of how the points
are or are not distributed. :beer

Fine, I’ll be that guy.

No Way GIF

I will lay out the whole signal path in my posts. It is a good idea for folks to do this I think.

Yeah, this will definitely be a plus for those of us into the engineer/production side of things that will hopefully impart some info for those who are getting their feet wet with it.

Thread title changed to create a place for continuous discussion on the challenge, rather than clogging up the submission threads with stuff that’s not a submission.

Already started working on my first submission this morning. So far it seems to be going in the direction of an atmospheric but heavy 90's Gothic Metal track. I'm using the Hard Rock MIDI file but changed the tempo to 132 bpm. Basic riff is done, now it's time to flesh out the track and add some nice layers. This is fun!

Any chance of creating a Challenge subform, so these threads don't get lost/crowd out the threads in the existing subforum?

Maybe call it GASUP!

Gear
And
Sound
User
Program

Or something that's actually cool... sorry, just woke up...

Any chance of creating a Challenge subform, so these threads don't get lost/crowd out the threads in the existing subforum?

Maybe call it GASUP!

Gear
And
Sound
User
Program

Or something that's actually cool... sorry, just woke up...

Yeah, as I was making these threads last night I was thinking that'd be a good idea. Let me talk to the powers that be!

This will be a great thread to follow and get inspiration, unfortunately I'm too much of newbie (3.5 years of playing only) to participate at this point in my guitar learning progress, but it sure will be really great to follow this
one of the best ideas ive seen so far
Kudos to Drew

:headbang

This will be a great thread to follow and get inspiration, unfortunately I'm too much of newbie (3.5 years of playing only) to participate at this point in my guitar learning progress, but it sure will be really great to follow this
Kudos to Drew

Hey man your version of newbie/learning progress is different than mine 😂
I’m perpetually stuck in the newbie phase 😂
Also Kudos to Drew for taking the time to put this together.

Kudos to Drew

I'd encourage you to join in - nothing will fast track your progress like making it happen and applying what you can learn from everyone else.

Dig the idea of listing the gear used, and would also be fun to possibly add in like a "what I learned/never did before this week" sort of thing. Sometimes that's absolutely nothing, but more often than not is a solid nugget that can help others too.

Kudos to Drew

In the past 3 decades I’ve had such beautiful failures I’ve shared. I WISH I had forums (hell, even an internet would have been helpful) when I was starting out in order to get direction to more closely make music beyond the level of awful. Please feel free to share and ask lots of questions.

Kudos to Drew

Damn dude, I‘d never expect you’ve only been playing that amount of time from your clips!!! If you’re doing that stuff already, you got more in ya!

No harm in downloading a drum track and just noodling over it to see what happens, ya never know until you try it out and really, I found out I could write songs on my own by doing exactly that!

Everyone is a worthy contender here, regardless of your gear or how long you’ve been playing. You’re mainly competing with yourself with this challenge as the point system is only keeping track of who has contributed weekly/bi-weekly over the course of 8 weeks.

@DrewJD82
It might just be on my end , but the Metal drum tracks on both challenges don’t seem to be able to be played 🤷🏻
All of the others are able to be previewed through.

Back